Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Hearing eval. question for increase

Rate this question

Riplip

Question

Ok I know the hearing thing has been knocked around a bunch. I have read many posts and still can't figure out my next move. I just had a hearing test yesterday at Mass Eye and Ear (the top dogs around here). All my hearing appts are done down there at the request of the VA because i've been diagnosed with bilateral Menieres. I am SC 20% for bilateral hearing loss. My test shows a word recognition of 16% in my right ear and 54% in my left ear. I have severe hearing loss in my left ear and profound in my right ear. I am going for a Cochlear Implant eval as soon as they make my appointment and then i'll schedule surgery and figure out all those other issues with healing and relearning how to hear in that ear.  My question is should i file for an increase now or wait until after surgery? The chart they gave me i really don't know how to read to put in the hearing test calculator. Thanks for any thoughts. 

• Answers 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Riplip

Your more than welcome to come here and ask questions you need to know   getting rated for hearing loss is pretty difficult but once S.C. For it  then it just depends on what the hearing test #'s Show  and if VA gives you a hearing test  it would be well worth the $$ to go get a Prive test from a state license Audiologist.

I recommend veterans see a ENT Doc that uses his own Audiologist  using the VA Hearing guidelines to include the Maryland CNC word test

and after testing  ask the Dr to compare your VA Test with his/hers.....and simply ask if your hearing is a lot worse than what the VA says?...

if it is then ask the Dr to give his medical opinion on your hearing loss just how bad is it to what degree  is it mild? is it server?  or do you show a heffty loss of hearing  which would be in the profound range....usually a 50% rating or higher...all testing is done without  your aids in.

I believe a lot of Veterans that use the VA or Rely on the VA Audiologist for hearing loss test get low balled so-to-speck  simply because the VA hearing equipment is not accurate  and therefor giving the veteran a false since of a accurate test  .

100's of Veteran get their hearing test done at the VA Audiologist  and how can we know they have there machines tested and adjusted on a regular bases? we don't  and I don't think they know either (jmo)

besides  the VA will usually use a license ENT Dr over there own audiologist   especially if the private Dr goes into more complete details of the testing.

Good Luck to ya  and welcome to Hadit

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I'D File the ITF (Intent to File)  this gives you an extra 12 months to gather your evidence C-FILE and all Dr Reports & starts your Early Effective Date the date you apply the ITF.....> Before you actually hit that submit button/or mail in.

you should get an increase in your hearing loss, & if you can't work due to your  s.c.hearing loss  you  can request IU.

FOR HEARING LOSS AND EYE SITE you would more than likely qualify for 100% combined rating  (jmo)

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a friend that has a similar hearing situation as you do. Extremely poor hearing; waited until he was 80 before I could convince him to at least try for a claim. He got a 40% rating in about 2 months. (Of course, they low-balled him figuring he would take it and be happy.) The VA Health people recommended he go for the Cochlear operation also. He got it and appealed (asked for reconsideration). Long story short, he now is rated 100%. But I strongly suggest that you try to reach out to others who have had that operation. Psychologically, I can wear you down; especially people staring and asking the same questions on what it is, etc. The very modest hearing improvement might not be worth it to you. I would expect the VA could let you know if there is a support group or something to check out.

Yes.  File.  If you like you can calculate how much it will cost you by waiting.  It depends on your percentage, but how much can you afford to lose by waiting to file?  

Your effective date is the later of "facts found" or the date of claim.  

Its my opinion that, with a CI you should be at/near 100 percent.  They dont do CI's, unless your hearing loss is profound.  I would be very suprised if you can work, at least not without your CI.  

People underestimate how much HOH has on employment.  Does your boss want to learn sign language so he can communicate with you?   Or, does he want to write down every single thing he tells you?  Even worse is when you think you heard what he said, and respond "OK" and you missed something, so you do it wrong.  

Most bosses wont put up with that, so they just dont hire people who can not hear and "follow directions".  Are you working?

If not consider filing TDIU.  DONT WORRY about your percentages and dont listen to your VSO who tells you you dont meet the minimum percent requirements.  Instead, file for tdiu under 38 cfr 4.16 B, which is extra schedular tdiu.  

If you dont think so, how many CAVC judges are hearing impaired??  NONE.  How could they do a "hearing" if they are hard of hearing???  

Yes, I know they "have jobs for handicapped" such as deaf.  They get them to mail out kleenex boxes to people who buy from the handicapped.  But, its unlikely you can earn "substantial gainful employment" doing that, because most people dont want to pay the extra cost for handicapped Kleenex.  It just costs more.  

Edited by broncovet

Thank you for the replies. I have an appt. with my DAV rep a week from today and I'll see what he has to say about why he hasn't filed for me yet. I asked him to do so in February and he said there's more to talk about in person. (He's knows I can't use the phone for conversations) After that meeting if he doesn't agree with my thoughts I'll search for another VSO and file on my own. So far I've been able to continue working since I've been with the same company for 19 years they've all kind of adapted with me but if it gets much worst who knows. GBArmy when you say "Modest improvement on hearing" does that mean the person you know said they didn't get much from a CI? The surgeon says it'll help a lot but of course he's bias. 

• HadIt.com Elder

At age 80  I can't see what the VA would recommend  the CI's

Anyway

as member broncovet always mentions  you need the fill the Caluza Triangle First   For Service Connection

1. Current Diagnosis..  (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

2. In Service Event or Aggravation.

3. Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”

I realize you are S.C. For hearing loss and asking for increase ,I  just like to always mention the Caluza Triangle for other veterans to read this is require for any service connection conditions we claim.

As for as working your loss of Hearing claim, I recommend you do that on your own and just stick with us here on hadit

you maybe ask to go get private hearing test and compare those with the VA,  However if you use a private ENT Audiologist Make sure they go by the VA Guidelines and always use the Maryland CNC word discrimination test.

Also if you have a ringing /buss/humm sounds in your head this is known as tinnitus  you need to let the Audiologist Know this. tinnitus has a 10% rating  for both ears. it needs to be medically documented 

JMO but I believe the VA hearing test are inaccurate due to the age of the equipment and the adjustments made over the years with 100's of Veterans being tested daily.

So just come to hadit and ask any VA claims related question you have.

and btw welcome to Hadit 

Edited by Buck52