Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Lowes vs Home Depot for veterans

Rate this question

JDB

Question

Just thought that I would give a heads up to all veterans.  I recently found out that both Home Depot and Lowes give a 10% discount to vets.  I signed up on the Lowes web site with no problems, very easy, and the discount shows up automatically when you order on line or buy in the store, no matter if the item is on sale or not.  At Home Depot, no discount on sale items applies and all vet discounts are at the discretion of the store manager with many limitations.  The deeper you look the choice is obvious that Lowes honors the vet discount across the board, while Home Depot makes an arbitrary decision at the time of purchase and does not apply the vet discount to sale items or items not included in the vet discount category.

JDB

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

HD denied me vet discount.  Said I needed some special ID.  Poor cashier (not her fault),  said see deals with pissed off vets all the time, leave without buying stuff.  Never to return I'm sure.  Lowes laughed when I told them this story.  Said, accept VA cards everyday.  Now I just give them my phone number for the discount.

The Lowe’s in Lansing only give a 10% on Veterans’s Day.  The Home Depot gives a 10% discount for veterans all year.  It  sounds like we are missing something here in Lansing, MI.  

I like Lowe’s but I go Home Depot more because they give the Veteran’s discount year round.

I've been noticing something new this year. Lowes has always given a 10% military discount, regardless of the item purchased. Home Depot will give the same discount if you show your military ID but only if you ask them. Lowes automatically applies the discount. I'm remodeling the home and purchase a lot of construction material. This year I noticed that Home Depot has cut back their discount on "Commodity" items. They still give a discount of sorts but not on everything you buy as does Lowes. I recently purchased some electrical conduit from Home depot but no discount was given. Since I needed more conduit, I went to Lowes. (same price as HomeDepot) I received the full discount. I'm sticking with Lowes and I'm finished with Home Depot.

Edited by tomdav

On 5/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, GeekySquid said:

My experience is different at HD.

I look for items that I want in damaged boxes. All associates at HD are allowed to give up to 25% off without supervisor approval. The Cashiers can too. Then I ask to apply my Vets discount. I have never been denied. This applies to HD's in Louisiana and Washington State that I have visited.

I do use Lowes also and their system works well too.

We have had the same experience and have purchased many items when remodeling our second home and working on our main residence.  Never an issue at HD or Lowes.

• HadIt.com Elder

HD is capping the discount at 500 dollars worth of merchandise for max savings of 50 dollars. Lowes does not have a limit and if you sign up on line for a My Lowes account you can even take it off of on line orders.

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• HadIt.com Elder

This has been going on for a while. HD seems to be patriotic, but doesn't try real hard when you compare to Lowes. In fact, I just now came back from Lowes and 10% discount, automatic. Just sign up once and when you do make a purchase, you just give them your phone number and they verify. Just like that-no problem. When I have  a choice, I alway choose Lowes.