Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

IU after Retirement

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I was talking about this in another thread but as @Buck52 said I don't want to hijack someone else thread.

I will be retiring from the federal government around the end of October, I will be receiving a retirement check from them, I am also retired from the Air Force. My quest is can I get IU even though I am retired?

Once I retire I will also go to the VA Voc ReHab. I am also hoping (like everyone else on this site) to get to 100% P&T I almost there now.

If I do get 100% P&T is there any need to pursue IU?

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

@GeekySquid thank you.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

• HadIt.com Elder

I think of all Veterans my brothers and sisters. I would not be here today if it was not for some veterans.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

19 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

not sure if I can get it if I am already at 100%

if you are rated 100% schedular, there is a seemingly rare quirk where a second rating for TDIU might happen and I think it is Buck who posted about it in his case but I am not sure.

In the normal path 100% Schedular moots TDIU this is because other than SMC's there is no pay difference.

This will now get a little on the TMI side, but it might help you so I will dive into it. This is just info for you and if it applies then keep it in mind for the your ED C&P.

In your ED C&P DBQ is a second section about Urinary Tract issues which are deeply connected to ED.

In there is a question about "pads".

Now I am old and cranky and until having that C&P I was ignorant of "pads" for men. I did know what adult diapers were and in my mind there was no way in hell I would ever buy those or wear them unless I absolutely had too. 

Yes that is obstinate, cranky, old man, and out of touch thinking... I am even uncomfortable talking about it here much less in the Real World.

The point is that when the ED Examiner was asking about "pads" I had to admit I did not know what he was talking about. I asked and he explained. When I answered with what my solution to address the issue of leakage, changing drawers several times a day, he marked that I said I did not wear "pads" which I found odd as we talked about this for 10  very uncomfortable minutes. 

In the Decision letter the VA rater notified me that I might have a claim for Voiding Dysfunction. When looking up that criteria it shows if you need more than 4 pads a day you can rate for 60% which is the max under that diagnostic code.

This is mainly a self-reported condition, though I do understand they might make you strap on a condom catheter and "measure" volume but I don't know of anyone who has had to do that or any other test for it. In fact when I have asked about Voiding Dysfunction many, like me, did not know it was rateable.

for other reasons I put in an ITF for that issue and now that those reasons are resolved, I just filed that claim last week so I don't know the outcome but I suspect another C&P or with the evidence I submitted they might just grant without one. Particularly since the VA will provide you these pads, they can easily count how many you go through a month and divide by 30.

If that helps you in any way great, if not then I have just engaged in a TMI vomit session. LOL.

@GeekySquid @Buck52 I agree we are all brothers and sisters and as a family we can do anything. The support from this site is amazing!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I wear pads at times  my PCP Ordered them for me  because I have dribble from swollen Prostate , I take meds for that ,However I was service connected for E.D. because of the PTSD Meds I take  &  I never mention the pads in my PTSD Claim  and also I went seen a Private urologist and he wrote me up a good Nexus For the secondary E.D. Claim...werid they never use his letter in making their decision  I had enough Medical records From the VA. but I did submit that urologist letter...Paid good $$ For it...grrrr

We just never know what those raters will do.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!