Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

100% Permanent and total

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

So why keep filing? I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but under my 100 for my TBI they state with sleep disturbances. I never filed for sleep apnea my wife knows I have it my VA doctor says I have mild sleep apnea. I am 50 for post traumatic headaches and 100 for my tbi. Is there any reason or benefits for filing for sleep apnea? I know it’s pretty much a given since it’s in my family history on my mother’s side latter in their life but is it pointless if they just say Yeha it’s part of the tbi diagnosis. I don’t understand how many things can be considered secondary until it’s considered moot i already have 3 considered secondary to my STBI...

I have always said if you have an issue that you feel is service connected or secondary to a service connected issue file... It doesn't matter if your TDIU or 100% already. I can tell you I do and i have reaped the benefits of such filings;

1986- right knee  torn meniscus 10% - allergic rhinitis -10% - back injury 10% -asthma 10% 

1987 -  increased to asthma 30%

1998 - Back 40%  - Back again 60% with drop foot ( K award)

1999 - TDIU awarded due back injury - automobile grant and  lifetime adapted equipment awarded due to loss of use left foot - static clothing allowance due to AFO brace - chapter 35 for wife and children

2000- Hemorrhoids 10% -  Epididymitis - 0% 

2001 - Asthma increased to 60%  - right knee arthritis 10%

2002 - Awarded adapted Housing grant ( 50K now up to 70K)

2004 - Sinusitis 10% - entitlement to cost of  auto air conditioner due lung condition

2005 - COPD 30% - Bilateral Tinnitus 10% - bilateral hearing loss 0%

2007 - COPD  Increase 100%  -  Housebound  100% + 60%  appealed and  received Aid and attendance L 1/2 due to 100% + separate 50% or above rating - second award of chapter 35 for wife and children

2008 - Eye damage secondary to steroid use for lungs 30%

2016 - Left knee torn meniscus secondary to right knee 10% - TBI  40% 

2017 - Sleep apnea - 50%

Current claims in system -  increase for right knee -- laryngitis secondary due to steroid use for lungs - increase for hearing 

Claims that will be submitted diabetes secondary to steroid use for lungs -  Thyroid condition secondary to steroid use for lungs - loss of left eye vision secondary damage due to steroids for lungs

So as you can see  I went from 30% in 1986 to 50% in 1987 to 70% in 1998 to 80% in 1998 to 90% in 2001 And 100% in 2007  and along the way had TDIU in 1999

Is it worth it to continue submitting claims after 100% --- well in my case it was and is worth it .... 

I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.

• HadIt.com Elder

CPAP's are a necessary evil. For some folks, it can be a real challenge to get used to, but you have to keep at it and find something that works. You must not give up on it.I changed my mask and hardware 4 or 5 times before I could get it somewhat comfortable. But it makes you breathe; kinda important ya know! One more thing. On occasion, it can also cause heart issues. The forced air can sometimes cause a cardiac issue called dilation, or expansion of the heart.Could be a 30% disability rating for IHD/CAD. Have to be diagnosed by an echocardiogram however.

They also make a mechanical device (mouth piece) that can be used in place of a CPAP machine. I am not sure how well it works but I have thought a bought trying it, I am one of those who struggles using the mask. The mouth piece is not cheap, I believe close to $1,000.

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

• HadIt.com Elder
6 hours ago, Richard1954 said:

The C-Pap  machines are suppose to be calibrated once a year!

I don't buy that... I have been using Bipap for almost 3 years... I don't even have to take it in to the va since now they just download the usage information from the machine over the internet... they have no calibrated it since it was new....... 

Richard 1954

you certainly have your right to your opinion...if we keep our C-PAP Clean and use it correctly  its going to do the job it was design to do and always use Distilled water,

The calibration is a fine tune adjustment made and is done by qualified trained personal, the VA DRs or the NPat the sleep clinic don't always mention this to Veterans...they are just to damn lazy in my opinion and a lot of things that go on or go un-mention to Veterans is just natural thing with the VA Employees.

GBArmy, You got that right  it does take some use to getting use too  but well worth the effort and could very well save your life...I use my C-PAP every night  but still have night sweats and NM/s on occasion.

For the Vets that don't know

They have different Mask/Fittings  to try  just ask your sleep clinic and they usually will send you to prohstatics and they can show you what they have...of course you will need a referral or prescription from the sleep clinic staff  to get a new mask.or hose or anything you might need for your VA C-pap

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder
On 5/27/2019 at 5:48 PM, jfrei said:

So why keep filing? I was diagnosed with sleep apnea but under my 100 for my TBI they state with sleep disturbances. I never filed for sleep apnea my wife knows I have it my VA doctor says I have mild sleep apnea. I am 50 for post traumatic headaches and 100 for my tbi. Is there any reason or benefits for filing for sleep apnea? I know it’s pretty much a given since it’s in my family history on my mother’s side latter in their life but is it pointless if they just say Yeha it’s part of the tbi diagnosis. I don’t understand how many things can be considered secondary until it’s considered moot i already have 3 considered secondary to my STBI...

yes you will get more compensation  if you don't already have it? Special monthly compensation  is for Veterans that have other sc conditions separate from the original s,c, condition.

if you have 50% PTSD AND 100% For TBI.now and thats all..

Say you files a secondary claim for sleep apnea to your PTSD ..and they diagnose you for sleep apnea and prescribe you a C-PAP machine medically necessary to use...this is usually a 50% rating using a C-PAP and what ever they rate your Apnea,,,,

,so just having an extra 50% for the C-pap you would meet the SMC S Criteria....another 347  or close not exactly sure just how much the SMC S Payment is now with DEPENDENTS?  so the SMC &dependent pay month added to your 100% you get now...unless you are getting SMC Already?

SO for a married veteran with small children it will help your family out financially.  to file for other s.c. conditions that may arise years later or at the present time.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder
51 minutes ago, paulstrgn said:

They also make a mechanical device (mouth piece) that can be used in place of a CPAP machine. I am not sure how well it works but I have thought a bought trying it, I am one of those who struggles using the mask. The mouth piece is not cheap, I believe close to $1,000.

paul

I heard about this new mouth devise  but don't know what its called  or if it works as they say??...I'd try it but if it don't work I'd sure want my $$ back.