VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How do I / Can I file for P&T-- I'm 100% schedular

Rate this question

Bunny448

Question

Hello, just subscribed to Hadit as I've received so much good info searching the forums.  Thanks to all of you!  One last hill to climb, I'd like to receive P&T but I have no idea how.  I am 100% and beyond (schedular), with SMC-K as well...so I have the 'total' part but not the 'permanent.' When you Google the topic you usually get answers for how to get P&T from if you are under 100%, or the years it takes for the VA to jump through hoops for reexaminations.

I found one law blog that states to write your VARO and 'just ask for it.'

Has anyone done this?  I'm debating building a packet with IMOs that state my conditions are permanent...but it might be tough to get all my doctors' IMOs.  Thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

You are 100% and beyond schedular"; do you mean you have other smc besides K?what does your last decision letter say? Any mention of education benefits or benefits to dependents? The wording on these award letters leave something to be desired often.

Sorry I meant that I reached 100% but then received several other decisions in my favor.... although I'm maxed out at 100%.  I just have SMC K.   Also theres no language to misinterpret in my letters as none of them refer to permanent or temporary or any of the other terms the VA uses.  My Ebenefits letter says 'no' on being permanent.

So... trying to go from 100 schedular to 100 P&T.  Wondering if I need to file a claim to do that ?

Also if you go on Ebenefits and you look up your letters Benefits summary letter it will tell you on the bottom of its P and t just take a look or also click on  the commissary benefit letter will state your P and T if it’s so. 264F54E1-128F-4F86-B053-0C4B1CC1571A.thumb.png.70c0dbe4c97237fc59bf98367413b680.png

Edited by jfrei

You will need to write a letter to your regional va office and request P&T.  In all likely hood they will require you to attend another C/P exam basically to get a medical opinion to determine if your condition will get better or worse. 

Understand that ( as far as I know) the VA doesn't tell you in a letter that your are P&T.  They will indicate in a awards letter that your dependents are entitled to Chapter 35 Benefits sometimes if the veteran doesn't know this, it is easy to overlook, this is about the only way I know of that the veteran is told they are P&T. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Richard1954 is correct  this is when a C&P IS A GOOD THING  IF YOU GET ONE?