VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Renouncing US citizenship, Still eligible for veteran compensation?

Rate this question

von

Question

Hello, im getting married to a Jamaican woman. I do not plan to come back to the united states due to family issues. If i renounce my US citizenship, will i still be eligible for veteran compensation? Thank everyone for their feedback and time. 

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know if Shrek is 100% right on this, but since it really is a legal question, I'll bet he would agree with me you should seek legal opinion on these issues. That said, you have already made my day. I'm not always politically correct, but what the hay, that is how I'm wired. Not coming back to the U.S. and renouncing your citizenship. Man, it is way too early to be hitting the sauce! That has got to be the dumbest thing I'm going to hear today. Because of family issues? Are you serious? What in the world has that got to do with leaving the best country in the world. Don't do this; it will be the worse decision you ever make.Period!

• HadIt.com Elder

von

This is not a claims type question for hadit members.

I suggest you seek an attorney for legal advise.

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Wilky said:

I can't imagine though,

while I am with you in confusion over this train of thought, I have to admit that what other people think is rational, sane or right often surprises me. One example is when veterans turn out to be members of the white supremacist groups or are virulently anti-immigrant. Another is groups that demand "religious freedom" out of one side of their face but then call to ban people of Islamic or Jewish religions.

People are just plain weird.

• Adminstrator

Ok so you will run into a few issues doing this.  The first is you will lose your Retirement pay from the military if you have and your va disability.  

Next that also could forfeit you SS and Medicare.  There are more issues with it, but what is your reason for wanting to do so?

If you are only getting va disability then this is tax free and you would still need to maintain you citizenship to keep it.  

Trust me I have thought about moving to some other country and leaving everything here behind.  The truth is every place in the world has their own set of issues.  It is great to go vacation somewhere and I recommend every do it, but you don't get to see the real issues going on there.

I would just take a very hard look at this to see if it is worth it.

• Adminstrator
2 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

I don't know if Shrek is 100% right on this, but since it really is a legal question, I'll bet he would agree with me you should seek legal opinion on these issues. That said, you have already made my day. I'm not always politically correct, but what the hay, that is how I'm wired. Not coming back to the U.S. and renouncing your citizenship. Man, it is way too early to be hitting the sauce! That has got to be the dumbest thing I'm going to hear today. Because of family issues? Are you serious? What in the world has that got to do with leaving the best country in the world. Don't do this; it will be the worse decision you ever make.Period!

There are a few news articles about this, and they are spread out over the years, so there could always be changes.  So if you are serious then follow @GBArmy and get some legal advice to know for sure.  I also agree that might be a bit crazy for this early in the morning.  

I agree with GB that you should seek legal advice prior to giving up your citizenship. I don't know why you want to give up your citizenship but you can be a dual citizen (providing that the other country allows it). The US and Jamaica does allow dual citizenship. My wife is a dual citizen and the advantage of being a dual citizen is she is able to travel to a lot of countries without a visa.

I also agree with Shrek you need to take a hard look to see if it is worth it.