VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ssdi taxes single vs married

Rate this question

killemall

Question

I've been ssdi since 2016

$1,600.00 a month

Been single and never had to pay taxes....Since 1600 divided by 2 is 800.....800x12=$9,600.00 a year.

9600 is less than 25000 so I've never had to pay taxes

Now possibly getting married. 

Possible Spouse makes $63,000.00 a year

My numbers remain the same at 1600 a month (19,200.00 a year)

Will I now have to pay taxes? 

How bad will the damage be?

Is there a way to file married but desperate in which I can avoid paying taxes?

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Killemail

I don't know; married filing separately? Look it up. Call H&R Block. Guaranteed, Uncle Sams going to get the money from the both of you combined.

I know when I retire I will get the SS and my spouses income won't impact it. She just won;t get anything is all. But check with SS, either go in to their office or call the (800) 772-1213 and ask. This is your best source. JMO

you have to balance it between tax credits/rebates versus straight tax.

you can file as married filing separately which means each of you just does your normal.

If you want to claim any of the exemptions for being married, which can significantly reduce your joint taxes, you will then lose that "normalcy".

A tax expert is your best bet. Run the scenarios. The way you file is affected by all sorts of things, like property, assets, medical bills, etc.

Are you getting SSDI or SSI or possibly(?) both? I am fairly certain that SSI is definitely means tested, not sure about SSDI.

• HadIt.com Elder

Heck if my spouse was working making 63.000 year and I could not work and on VA Disability and SSI...I would sit back and enjoy life...she will be responsible   for her taxes  and you will be responsible for yours  I don't think you would be required to pay any taxes. based on 19.200 if you do they probably won't be all that much   heck pay them and enjoy some of that 63.000 your new spouse is making.  hey when your married its 50/50  so 63.000 and 19,200  is a fairly modest income..enjoy it.

and btw Congratulations 

But as Geeky mention you need to visit a CPA or Tax consultant .

6 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

based on 19.200 if you do th

based on his post and profile that is not all he brings in if I am reading him right.

51 minutes ago, killemall said:

i've been ssdi since 2016

$1,600.00 a month

his profile says 70% so that is another 1300 a month.

If he is on SSDI I am fairly sure he might be on TDIU and I am sure he knows what that is as he is a Hadit E7.

He says SSDI is paying 1600 x 12 =19,200

if he is just 70% 1300 x 12 = 15, 600

if he is TDIU it is 3100 a month x 12 = 37, 200

when he gets married his VA goes up and it is still tax free and cannot count against joint taxes

his combined disability comp is either about 35K or 56K, tax free.

he can earn another 12K on SSDI or TDIU which would bring him to like 39 or 68K.

so unless he means his combined VA and SSDI is 1600, then he is sitting okay even when living in Hawaii.