Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

joe martin

Rate this question

joe martin

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

i WAS THINKING THE SAME THING VETQUEST AND i AM NOT SURE i WANT A 100% PTSD even if my symptoms say so.

I may go for the Sleep Apnea just for the service connection and what rating they give me for it (50% would be ok)..if I win that is.

Like GB and Paul & Vetquest said we never know what the VA is going to do.

GB I Agree with you '' you quoted

''What is your motivation to do go higher?  = just for service connection) You was granted what rating in 2015 for your PTSD?   =70% chronic PTSD) Also Dx MDD

It sounds like your doc is saying things are worse for you so it wouldn't appear that' they would be looking to knock it down, but you never know about the VA.'' =Absolutely  I have not had a decent nights sleep in years and its catching up with me  or my age is  ..probably both  eh!

I Absolutely agree with you on this  and Vetquest also is right on  having a 100% rating for PTSD  I'm not sure I want that hanging over my head, the rest of my life  especially with no more comp to be paid,but the sleep Apnea secondary to my PTSD/MDD  depression would more than likely be service connected,   Remember once they service connect a condition secondary to an already service connected condition  that condition becomes in part of the 1st condition  in this case PTSD.

However Once again there's no more money in it for me    this would just be to up my percentages in case they ever propose a reduction in any of my S.C. Conditions  this is mainly what I am thinking.

I know I need a nexus from a qualified Doc to associate the two  PTSD/SLEEP APNEA..I WILL GET THAT BEFORE I FILE AND MOST OF MY EVIDENCE  NEEDED. .....if I don't have that then I won't be filing.

I need two 1/2 years for my 20 year protection   and I hear that they come after veterans in their 19th  year or   less than 6 months  to go before making the 20 year rule  I guess this is what motivated me to file.

Elder Member Alex   (asknod the blogger) and NOW certified accredited VA Claims Agent is helping a Veteran that got a Proposal to reduce his benefits with less that 8/6 months left before he hit the 20 year rule.

I think that's a crying damn shame too that  the VA would pull something like that.

Like I mention I still pondering this?

if I can get some help from my VA PCP and see if she will help me just a little,  like  ''due to this veterans ptsd and the medications he takes for it for...  from the VA   his sleep apnea is likely as not related to his PTSD  or maybe  MDD Dr to have a Doc to mention something like this?

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

7 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I can get some help from my VA PCP and see if she will help me just a little,  like  ''due to this veterans ptsd and the medications he takes for it for...

It is a shame that the VA does not actually help veterans more than they do. Your VA PCP should be more than willing to assist you, hopefully your PCP is veteran friendly. Have you googled the meds you take for your PTSD to see what potential side effects they have? I do this all the time to make sure the meds I take are not causing me more harm than they help. I am assuming you had a sleep study at the VA, what did the VA doctor that read your results say? Would they be willing to say your meds have caused your SA? My sleep doctor wrote my IMO tying my hypertension and weight gain as contributing to my SA.

The reasons for wanting to add the SA to your list of disabilities does make sense, for it is better to be proactive than to wait for them to try and reduce you and then having to jump through hoops to hang on to your 100%.

Good luck Buck 

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes Paul I have research the ptsd meds and they do cause sleep disturbance   my MH Phyistrist sent me to the sleep clinic and VA  Sleep clinic sent me to  a private  sleep study  and they diagnose me for Moderate Sleep Apnea...this was in 2015   VA Prescribe me a C-PAP to use. But unfortunately I never filed a claim for S.A.

My PTSD & MDD rated at 70% has worsen according to a VA MH Phyistrist   its in my healthevet notes.

I seen this in Myhealthevet the other day,  they never mention to me that my PTSD/MDD has worsen?.  but its in my records that it has.

However I am not so sure I want to file a claim for this increase on PTSD .  there's no more $$$ in it for me  it would be to justify my rating for PTSD  but also set me up for future C&P's   so I am not sure this would be a good Idea to ask for the increase?...next year will be my 5 years service connected for PTSD AT 70%.

Maybe file a secondary claim for S.A. Due to my PTSD.??

These are my questions to you guys  I need some opinions and rationales to decide what to do

or the Pros & Cons on filing either for one or both of these conditions.

I realize its my choice  but need some insight!

Note* they do have a regulations that if a Veteran has 2 100% S.C. Ratings  this qualifies him for smc L... I have SMC -S  AND K   but SMC L would mean more compensation 100%plus another 100%.

You can only receive one Special Monthly Compensation rating for Levels L through O. But there are a few circumstances in which you can receive more compensation if you have other, separate disabilities.

The only thing about SMC L they mention veteran needs both feett apmputated  but then agian quote the 2 100% .S.C. Ratings  and to include combined rating also.

if the veteran has two 100% S.C. Ratings then he is eligible for the SMC L,   However they quote they  amputation rule with SMC L...SO I am confused on this?

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

*Note

my current S.C. Ratings are

90% hearing loss  occurred Vietnam

10%tinnitus occured Vietnam

2002/2003 effective dates  awarded TDIU P&T SINCE 2002/2003

MOVING ON UP IN YEARS

70%Chronic PTSD MDD Service Connected-June 2015  occured Vietnam

This is when they Inferred the SMC S HOUSE BOUND  AND ALSO I FILED a E.D. Claim and was service connected at 0% but paid 108** monthly in addition to what I am being paid sc compensation payment

it has these ratings listed on E benefits as a 100% final degree rating

Here is what I am thinking,  if they do approve me for sleep apnea and increase my PTSD /MDD to 100%      this is still not 2=100% ratings.

My thinking is they might give me  a 30% increase for PTSD /MDD    THAT  WOULD BRING ME UP TO 100%  BUT 50% FOR S.A. PLUS 30% FOR INCREASE  will not equal another 100% rating.

so see this is what I am confused about  we never know what the hell the VA will do??

I have no amputations..but these other conditions are suppose to help veterans clime the SMC Latter..I believe it would be the SMC L for me?  if I can get 2= 100% seperate ratings   and they say a combination of ratings will be accepted.  without amputations.

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

Like I said, Buck, this SMC stuff is out of my league. I leave that to the guys that have been around the horn a couple of times. But again, is a jump from 70-100% for PTSD a realistic situation? I am under the assumption that to get 100%, things have to be "really" messed up for you and it is extremely hard to get that rating. They will grant 70% and then TDIU, but 100% is pretty difficult. Have you tried to compare your current symptoms to the diagnostic code?

• HadIt.com Elder

GB Army   I understand,,as for as the codes to meet my symptoms  yes I've looked at those.

in my medical records a VA MH Phyistrist I seen via video telecast  at her home  because the VA MH Clinic did not have any Dr's to see me  my MH Dr (physiatrist ) was on vacation .

Anyway this Dr has stated in my records that my Chronic PTSD and MDD has worsen  she said on record I have diagnose this Veteran has his symptoms have worsen nightmares and night sweats  uncontrollable dreams and the veteran agrees to my plan..the plan was get all guns out of my house and stop taking a certain medication which was tramadol and prozation  and take this new medication 1/2 tab at bed time only and keep on taking my other PTSD meds  such as my anxiety meds and sleep meds..I agree to that 

Not sure what she meant by her diagnose?  I'll have to ask about that

FEW MONTHS AGO THEY DID A MEDICATION CHECK ON ME  AT MH AND MY PCP , THE VA MH ADDED A MEDICATION THAT WAS CAUSING ME NOT TO SLEEP OR HAD AN ADVERSE AFFECT ON MY ANXIETY MEDS....SOME OTHER BS I AM NOT SURE ABOUT  I DON'T UNDERSTAND SOME OF THESE PHYSIATRIST WITH THEIR MEDICAL TALK.  Sorry for the Caps I just now seen I had the Cap lock on.

I could not live without my anxiety meds.  for some reason or another I am on my wits end about a neighbor wanting break in my house and shoot me  I have not even met this neighbor  but he is of Asian decent and he probably is a nice man...but I have fear of him   all this mixed with these dreams I been having...plus I am dealing with my wife injury and I am afraid I might hurt her having these crazy dreams   in which she use to help me when I had them she would awake me turn on the light and calm me down...that has been stopped now that she is recovering from her hip injury she needs her rest and space  they talked about putting me in the Hospital for a while  and I don't want that   and I need to help my wife here at home  its a situation that both of us don't need to be in...so I am counting on this new med to help me sleep..if night-mares flare up this new medication is suppose to help,  it pretty powerful med I can only take 1/2 tablet

I do not want to be put in the nut ward at the hospital and locked away like a crazy person.

so these claims help me occupy my mind so-to-speak...I usually get on hadit to help occupy my mind  sorta a therapy for me.

I go see my VA Therapist Thursday, she has called here at home checking on e the last 3 weeks or so   which helps to talk with her.

I have missed a couple  VA  MH appointments with her due to me staying here for my spouse and getting her prescriptions pain meds and helping her get around the house and help her with the things she can't do.    It;s not a choice  I need to stay here help my spouse. 

Not that I am complaining   its just hard to be at two places at the same time...but things seem to get better day to day   will need time to pass and see what the future holds.