VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

TDIU and Unemployment Insurance

Rate this question

Patrick2020

Question

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, but I'm hoping someone can answer this my question.  My anxiety has been steadily increasing since thinking about this topic today.  I was recently award TDIU but have been on unemployment compensation with the state.  I haven’t claimed unemployment comp since being awarded TDIU, but do I need to worry about receiving the unemployment comp prior to being granted TDIU?

Any support with this would be greatly appreciated!  

Thank you!

Unemployment insurance is in place of a job and is taxed like take home pay.  I would cancel my unemployment soonest.  Others may have a different take on this but that is my opinion.

Unemployment benefits are not earned income. You do not have to report unemployment benefits to the VA just as you don’t have to report VA benefits to the unemployment insurance office.

https://www.statesidelegal.org/pandemic-unemployment-assistance-pua-tdiu

Be careful.  In my state, to get unemployment, you sign something that says you are ready, willing and ABLE to work.  Not DisABLED.  

You are setting yourself up for a fall if you tell unemployment you are ABLE, and VA you are DIsABLED at the same time, that's a contradction.   Check with the laws in your state, I have no idea, your state could have disability and unemployment in the same package.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Bronco is right on this topic.  In Florida you also sign a paper saying you are able and willing to work.  You don't want to be accused of fraud by the state or the VA.  I was getting worker's compensation and TDIU and I had some unpleasant conversations with the worker's compensation people. I was ignorant of the law, but old WC tried to screw me anyway.

• HadIt.com Elder

Not meaning to change the Subject or anything  but has anyone heard from 

vetquest?  he was  sure good helping out here, I ain't seen him on hadit in a long time?

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi Buck No, haven't been in contact either. I'll bet it's been close to a year since he's been active. Hope he is just taking time off to attend to some stuff and will be back on. A great one for advise for sure.