VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

73 NRPC FIRE DESTROYED MILLIONS OF RECORDS?

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

How would a Veteran get his (copys) of his service records  or prove they were destroyed in the St Louis Fire in 73?

veteran ETS in Feb 72..but as no sign or sight of his STR'S  or any Service Records from different Duty Stations?

His C-file is Practically empty  just a few where he went to his VAMC for general health care.

no records can he find where he was station at during his military service

Aug 3 1969 to Feb 4 1972  Duty stations Fort Bliss Tx (Basic Training)

Aberdeen Maryland Aberdeen Proving Grounds  (AIT)  

517TH Heavy Equipment Transportation unit (no longer exist) AS OF 1988

Schwetzingen Germany 1970

HHC Saigon Support Command APO?  RVN (Vietnam) unit no longer exist) annulled in 1975 TMP

How Would Veteran find his service records?  when NRPC SAYS THEY CAN'T FIND THEM? (RECORDS NOT FOUND)

Its like he never went into the military  however he has his DD214  BUT NOT ALL DUTY STATIONS IS ON IT.

• HadIt.com Elder

One thing you can try is work the outfit that did exist and was later deactivated. Just because it doesn't exist now doesn't mean that it did't once. Trace back and find out where the records were transferred/retired to. They didn't burn in St.Louis. The 517 heavy equip company's file went somewhere. They are archived probably at some post. Contact that post and see how to retrieve. Not easy task, but there has to be a way. Did the veteran ever go to medical? If so, find out where med docs were retired to. It is an easy thing for the service to say that the records were burned; it just isn't accurate.

If the veterans records were burned in the fire; I am not sure I believe it; does he not have a presumption of service connection since there are no records?  I know what the answer is but I would hope that if my records disappeared they would give me some benefit of the doubt.

Its a lie.  VA is guilty of it often.  How do I know its a lie?  Read this:

https://www.archives.gov/personnel-records-center/fire-1973

You said the Veteran was in 69 to 72.  This is not the period where records were destroyed by the fire.  I was in a similar period, and my records were not destroyed.  My advice is for you to ask for the records, VA employees are lazy and just dont look when they can get away with it. 

Edited by broncovet

• HadIt.com Elder

Well we both tried everything mention, he is getting frustrated and will tell the VA to go  (bleep) them self

I was trying to help him get service connection established  but with out records  we both know he will be denied.

its his word against the VA and without records no Dr will help him...so I am tied down as to what to say? to him?

He says he has tried and tried to get his records from other sources but always comes up empty

he is kinda a hot head and hard to get information out of,  I been dealing with him now for over a year half, the NRPC and other means of trying to find his records come back ''Records Not Found''

Does anyone know what military post he could try?  

I was told to check  with Ft Knox   by a rep from NRPC...Now maybe that rep was being sarcastic or just rude? 

but he went on to say that Ft Knox IS WHERE THEY SEND ALL RECORDS THAT ARE PLACE IN STORAGE AFTER 20 YEARS OF NON COMPLIANCE  RATHER DECEASED OR LIVING? IN OTHER WORDS FT KNOX is the holding tank for military records.

got to send his service #  or SS # to Ft Knox records personal Manager for recovery...were on that now.

This is the first I heard of that?

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

BRONCOVET MENTION

''You said the Veteran was in 69 to 72.  This is not the period where records were destroyed by the fire.  I was in a similar period, and my records were not destroyed.  My advice is for you to ask for the records, VA employees are lazy and just dont look when they can get away with it.'' 

Maybe so but  they had time to send his records to the NRPC before the fire  if he got out prior to the fire?  he was out in 72  the fire was 73  so who would know that ?

I understand  that not all veterans records were destroyed in that fire  broncovet just because your records were not destroyed in the fire  don't necessarily mean his was not?

• HadIt.com Elder

How can a Veteran know or find out if his records were destroyed in the fire?

I realize this fire took most of the older veterans records from War War II But also some from Vietnam also.

besides the fall of Vietnam in 1975 HE SHOULD STILL HAVE SOME RECORDS SOME WHERE? BUT WHERE?