Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Ankylosing Spondylitis, IBS D, and Irisitis/Uveitis

Rate this question

Usaf9498

Question

I served in the USAF from 1994-1998. Deployed to Bahrain, Turkey and Saudi, and was at Khobar Towers in 1995 when it was bombed. I am currently rated at 90% total. 70% PTSD from the bombing, 50% sleep apnea secondary to PTSD and 10% Tinnitus. 

I have suffered from IBS for over 20 years. It was finally getting bad enough this spring that I went to the VA and talked to my primary care. She ordered a colonoscopy and referred me to the GI department. Colonoscopy came back relatively normal, with a few polyps removed and biopsied all coming back negative. They put me on fiber twice a day which has improved my issue a little. My GI nurse told me in a video conference yesterday that she was finally officially diagnosing me with IBS type D.

About the same time I was having the worst of the IBS issues this spring, I also started having severe joint pain. I was referred to rheumatology and was sent in for a CT scan, and gobs of blood work and x rays. They diagnosed me with Ankylosing Spondylitis. My bloodwork did show that I am HLA-b27 positive, but have no family history of AS or any type of auto immune diaseases. I am injecting myself in each leg once a month with 300mg Cosenyx. The injections help but they are talking about adding a pill to help get it under control 100%. It is really affecting my knees, my thumbs, and my ankles the most and I am afraid of it getting worse. I drive a truck for a living and I really need my joints to work to continue to provide for my family. 

During the Xrays of everything, they found several masses in my lungs. They did a CT scan and said that they were likely not cancerous, but wanted to do follow up tests in a year to compare to make sure nothing was growing. I was a smoker for a few years so I cannot say that is from the sand but who knows? 

For about the last 3 years, I have had a few bouts of irisitis/uveitis which my civilian opthamologist said was likely rheumatoid arthiritis. It is also a common side effect of my AS. I take a steroid eye drop when I have flares and when I catch it quick enough, knocks it out before it gets really bad. I have had one flare up since I have been going to the VA, and had them look at it and document it, and now get my prescription eye drops from the VA.  

I know IBS is a Gulf War Presumptive. I am wondering if my AS would be condsidered GWP also? Would it be secondary to my IBS? Should it be a stand alone claim and the irisitis be secondary to AS? I am not the kind of guy that is trying to claim everything wrong with me is somehow a VA claim, but this stuff just has gotten the better of me and I can see no reason why I am having these issues. 

As always, I appreciate all of the help!

• Community Owner
On 11/26/2020 at 3:35 PM, TexasVeteran said:

I'll have to disagree here sir. People with AS or IBS both typically have the HLA-B27 marker. And those with AS are more likely to develop IBS (5-10 percent of people with AS develop IBS according to Joel Taurog, MD from a 2013 EverydayHealth article). 

Your AS should be the primary and IBS secondary. If you have pain in your back, neck, hips, and/or knees, you will need to be rated for for those separately. You will need to get an Independent Medical Opinion and Nexus letter completed by someone like Dr. Ellis out of Oklahoma City (Ellis Clinic). Stating his opinion of the nexus between your AS and military service and the connection between your AS and IBS. It's probably not unreasonable to say that it is "more likely than not" your IBS is due to or made worse by your serviced connected AS condition.

Dr. Ellis would be your very last stop and you should have a complete case file before going with medical records (military, va, and private), diagnosis letters, buddy letters (multiple, from family, friends, and co-workers), work absentee letters, appeals cases close your case, and any medical journal articles which support your claim and connection from AS to IBS. Having all of that should be a rock solid case.

Before you go to your C&P exam, be sure to download the DBQ's they will be using to evaluate you. Those are no longer available on the VA's website, but are archived here: https://helpdesk.vetsfirst.org/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=3300  (google: "vetsfirst DBQ 3.1").  Be prepared for all the questions they could ask from that form and understand how you will be rated by researching each condition's rating criteria, simple google search on that.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/ankylosing-spondylitis/inflammatory-bowel-disease-and-ankylosing-spondylitis.aspx

One of the best well written answers I have seen. Good Job  TexasVeteran

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use