VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I've had great success with corrections to my military records.

Rate this topic

kent101

• HadIt.com Elder

I had my discharge upgraded to honorable in 1973 I think.  I went in-person before a board with representation from the Red Cross.  The old guy who represented me was great.  He had the civilian members of the board crying.  I felt so sorry for myself after listening to him I was crying as well.  The only one no crying was the military member of the board.  Anyway why worry about something like getting some sort of credit for service after Vietnam.  Nobody cares but us.  Any one under the age of 60 does not even remember Vietnam.  It is as remote to them as the Civil War is to us.

• HadIt.com Elder

John999   That's good you got it upgraded back then.

Seems I remember I never got my ''Official Honorably Discharge'' when I got out, they sent me a letter saying i was placed in the US ARMY RESERVES. and would be there for three years....I never went to Drills or reserve classes  or anything  but 3 years later I got a  big BBE in the mail

It was my ''Official Honorable Discharge Certification''  I got it in-cased  on my office wall's in one of our bedrooms  ...for some reason or another? had to put it some where.

• HadIt.com Elder

My honorable discharge is in a deposit box.  I dust if off once every ten years.  No one ever asked to see it.  No employer ever asked to see it.  I have my DD214 in the same box.  I was originally given an general under honorable conditions, but that made me mad so I appealed and got the upgrade.  Years later I tried to get it changed to a medical discharge since I spent two months in a military hospital.  No go since the Army thought they might have to pay me and include a pension.  They are the worst scumbags in the world IMO.

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger That John

I think why I put my Discharge up on the wall was cause it looks like something special to be proud of  and I can go in there and pretend I am a CEO 😉 of some huge company....does good for the soul.  And gives me the Big Head.😊

• HadIt.com Elder

Nah  Not really  my wife had it hung in there to many shoe boxes filled with different paper work as it is ,so she had it hung it up on the wall.

At least my grandson notice it and went got him one.

Edited by Buck52

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 6:54 AM, john999 said:

I had my discharge upgraded to honorable in 1973 I think.  I went in-person before a board with representation from the Red Cross.  The old guy who represented me was great.  He had the civilian members of the board crying.  I felt so sorry for myself after listening to him I was crying as well.  The only one no crying was the military member of the board.  Anyway why worry about something like getting some sort of credit for service after Vietnam.  Nobody cares but us.  Any one under the age of 60 does not even remember Vietnam.  It is as remote to them as the Civil War is to us.

I'm not over 50 yet but my father's 84 years old and did two tours in Vietnam as a Navy Seabee. I think for that reason I remember what he's told me about it and have better understanding than many my age. I have researched the Vietnam War. It was reading books about LRRPS in Vietnam that got me interested in joining the US Army. I'd say most about 5 years younger than me probably don't have much knowledge of Vietnam because by the time they got around 16 years old the USA was invading Afghanistan and Iraq. Many generation Z don't even know what the world was like before 9/11/2001. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use