VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA % and Army Reserve LHI Connection?

Rate this question

glashutte

Question

Sorry if this is in the wrong location - wasn't sure where to post. 

I have a very high disability rating from the VA and am also currently in the Army Reserve.

I am due for my PHA and have to fill out a long medical question'd questionnaire by LHI, basically asking has ANYTHING medically bothered you in the past 12 months? 

How much of this does the VA have access to?

Should I just click 'No' for everything so they don't question me being in the Army Reserves or kick me out? 

At the same time I don't want to answer 'No' for everything and then the VA sees it and thinks 'OH, okay he doesn't have any symptoms now according to this LHI questionaire? Let's reduce his %'

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't know anything about that process, but I would expect it is part of your str's and if you later apply for any disabilities, it would be available to them. The thing you have to keep in mind is if you state you don't have any problems, you are building a wall around your evidence for those future claims. The VA will say the veteran is malingering, that is he is lying because he said previously he didn't have any medical problems. 

Are you crazy, stupid, or a liar?  Please do not respond to that question. I am not calling you crazy, stupid or a liar, I just think that you are not really sure of your current situation. IMHO (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION) whether you realize it or not if you have a high rating percentage from the VA, your military career is over. Keep in mind that any and or all medical documents that you fill out can potentially end up in your military and VA file. You always want to tell the truth. If that means you have to retire or leave the service or even be reduced in your VA rating percentage, it is what it is.

You could always file for an increase if your symptoms increase later. It will help us if you try to explain a little more. You must realize that your VA compensation will be you monthly paycheck and whatever pay you get from the military will be reduced once you retire or leave the service. So, can you please help us understand how you are thinking because your questions seem to be a little off?  

Please don't take my post personal. It sounds like you do not want the VA and the military know what is going on with you. 

Edited by pacmanx1

OK, 

If you have a "very high" rating in the Reserves, the VA already knows about it and the other way around.  I don't know what you mean by a very high rating, but lets just say you are at 90% and have a family.  You would be getting about $2200 give or take a month in VA comp and you would not be getting anything for your Reserve duty (weekend drills) as they offset.  Some Soldiers get both because their VA comp is less than their Reserve pay, but you get to choose, and most take the VA comp first cause it's tax free, and the Reserves make up the difference.

Now, what it sounds like to me is you are trying to get to the 20 year mark for a non-traditional military retirement.  And, you don't want your service connected disabilities to conflict with your military duty.  At some point, they will collide and you probably will not like the outcome.

If you have 15 years in the Reserves, you can still get your retirement at age 60, by taking a medical retirement.  A bit less money, but it will be secure.

And, just for a fact, LHI has your complete C-file on their computer.  My LHI examiner and I had quite a chat when she was doing the control-F thing and found some interesting medical history for a 54 year old female (I am a 60 year old man).  My wife's entire SSDI file is in my VA c-file because of my claim for spousal A&A.

I agree with pacmanx1, don't jeopardize your future VA compensation trying to pull the wool over the Army Reserve, etc., or the other way around. 

I just remembered that the VA with the Blue Button also tracks my military retirement status.  So, basically, everybody knows everything or will soon enough.

Best advice ever, 

Tell the truth,

Hamslice

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

• HadIt.com Elder

Be honest with these guys because they just love to make an example out of someone who wants to skin the system.  You can skin and still be honest.  Obey the rules or the rules will be used to break you.

After reading all of this I will continue to be truthful with my LHI PHA. 

I am rated at 100% but with many many separate ratings. Nothing on the list constitutes being unable to serve in the army reserves according to the regulation (from what I read). 

Now regarding VA taking away % rating. Does the 5 year rule start at time they give you the rating, or time disability started in military?

Time of rating.

You obviously attend drill for free and are working on your reserve retirement.

My only concern would be your annual (if they are still annual, maybe bi-annual now) readiness physical.  I again, don't know your MOS, but certain MOS's must maintain a certain number level in their PULHES rating.  I maintained a picket fence, all 1's, 1-1-1-1-1-1, for over 27 years as a 12B.  Not an easy task, and am now paying for it.

As a Combat Engineer, you could only have one 2 on your PULHES, as an example.

I too, have a whole bunch of small ratings, with the highest being a couple 30's.  So, I can see where it is possible.  But I would be careful.  I don't think the military will go looking for your VA records, but loose lips sink ships, as they say.

Another thought is the requirement to take the annual APFT.  Not too sure if any of those requirements might run into each other.  As an example, I have a rating for arthritis of the ankle, and for bilateral plantar fasciitis.  Running 2 miles in 18 minutes (APFT) runs head strong into, I can only walk 1/4 mile, etc., etc.  

Good luck,

Hamslice