VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hopefully some really good info for all soon!

Rate this question

Confusedvet1

Question

Pretty stocked and can't wait to get this info and share it.

I recently submitted an iris claim asking about the 10 day policy of waiting after letter is sent with a decision and why they can't make it available online immediately and rationale for their policies etc.

I've spoken to 2 people so far at the Peggy line and both have said that they are jealous (one actually is asking to have the info sent to their management team) of the information being put together for me and that they hope I like to read. One told me I better share this info with other veterans as well so my hopes are high for some really great information to share.

Hopefully more to come by end of next week at latest.

Part 1 of figuring out FOIA request.

This is my first time doing a FOIA request. First place I started reading was here https://www.foia.gov/how-to.html to start figuring out the process.

This seems like an important section "A FOIA request can be made for any agency record. You can also specify the format in which you wish to receive the records (for example, printed or electronic form). The FOIA does not require agencies to create new records or to conduct research, analyze data, or answer questions when responding to requests." 

So I just have to figure out how to word my request to get the information I'm looking for. 

Any suggestions? I'm thinking something like. 

To whom it may concern,

I am requesting any and all documents and records pertaining to iris request xxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Including but not limited to , internal government communications regarding the iris request, notes from call center when I called regarding that request, documents , PDFs, etc that were associated with the request and referenced by call center supervisor on this date at this time. I request this information be provided in an electronic format.

Thank you

I still have to look at VA website to see what the process is for them to make sure I submit it using there rules.

So I found a sample letter on VA website and used that as a guide and added more to it. This is likely what I'll end up sending with additional information filled out once I figure out where I need to email it since there are a lot of FOIA officers in different parts of VA. I'll call Peggy tomorrow and ask where to send it as well to open up the iris inquiry again.

Address

Address

Date of request

Department of Veterans Affairs

<<Office you wish to submit your request to>>

<<Office Street Address>>

<<Attn: FOIA Officer’s name>>

Dear <<FOIA Officer>>:

This is a request under the Freedom of Information Act.

I request that you submit a copy of all records and documents associated with iris inquiries xxxxxxxxxxx and xxxxxxxxxxx. Including but not limited to any documents, records, VA internal communications, etc regarding those inquiries. I'm also specifically looking for the information associated with one or both of those requests referenced by an operator at the 1-800-827-1000 phone number on May xx with a call starting time of approximately xxxxxx EST. Also the information I'm looking for was referenced on a call on May xx that started at approximately xxxxxx EST which was escalated to a supervisor who informed me there was a lot of great information associated with my inquiry including but not limited to PDFs.

I would like this information to be provided to me in electronic format and by email or secure email.

I am willing to pay up to $250 for the processing of my request if required by law. Please notify me if you estimate the fees to exceed this amount.

I believe my request may be entitled to a fee waiver as well. Based on the telephone calls referenced above I believe this information is in the public interest including but not limited to understanding how the VA operates and the information I seek is not primarily in my commercial interests.

If you have any questions, I may be reached at xxx-xxx-xxxx but I prefer communication by e-mail at xxxxxxxxx@xxxxx.com

Sincerely,

Xxxxxxxxxxxxx

That sounds like a FOIA template I have used since 1995, way before the VA was on line..

It covers all basics on FOIA but a FOIA has to be as specific as possible,

I have used FOIA regarding local Government, NY State Gov and even the US Drug  administration., and have had few FOIAs to VA Central Office in DC. 

Your Specific VARO might well have a FOIA officer And./or maybe the RO district VA counsel might be who you should send it to.

Have you googled your specific VARO at va.gov, to see what they have on their web site. for FOIAs regarding their records?

To add, the  20 day or 21 day response you get, is SOP, the actual response will take longer.

In my experience I directed the FOIA by including the name of  the exact person)s)  or place, where the info should be found.

In other words my last FOIA went to VA OGC in DC  and mentioned a OGC lawyer by name and stated that they would find the info ,from him or his office ,regarding a specific incident

One of my FOIAS took many years to be resolved.

One O sent a few year ago to the Main VA FOIA officer * regared the BVA. I got quite a bit of ino a few weeks later.

* It was Margaret Peake m VACO ( VA Central Office)

(she even called me up to get a little more info on my request and then she fulfilled it.)

4 minutes ago, Berta said:

That sounds like a FOIA template I have used since 1995, way before the VA was on line..

It covers all basics on FOIA but a FOIA has to be as specific as possible,

I have used FOIA regarding local Government, NY State Gov and even the US Drug  administration., and have had few FOIAs to VA Central Office in DC. 

Your Specific VARO might well have a FOIA officer And./or maybe the RO district VA counsel might be who you should send it to.

Have you googled your specific VARO at va.gov, to see what they have on their web site. for FOIAs regarding their records?

To add, the  20 day or 21 day response you get, is SOP, the actual response will take longer.

In my experience I directed the FOIA by including the name of  the exact person)s)  or place, where the info should be found.

In other words my last FOIA went to VA OGC in DC  and mentioned a OGC lawyer by name and stated that they would find the info ,from him or his office ,regarding a specific incident

One of my FOIAS took many years to be resolved.

One O sent a few year ago to the Main VA FOIA officer * regared the BVA. I got quite a bit of ino a few weeks later.

* It was Margaret Peake m VACO ( VA Central Office)

(she even called me up to get a little more info on my request and then she fulfilled it.)

Should I make mine more specific? I'm just looking for the information that was associated with the iris inquiry that both operators told me was in there. One operator said the letter was sent may 14th (never got anything) and a later supervisor saw there was a bunch of info associated as well but that it wasn't closed yet. What I ended up getting was an email response unrelated to anything I asked for. So it's hard to be very specific about what I want when it's being hidden and denied to me. To me my request seems pretty straight forward and hopefully not to complex. The information I want is also in the iris system and not my claims file which is another reason why I don't know where to send request. This information isn't claim specific to me either.

https://community.hadit.com/topic/69514-peggy-for-newbees/

This link videois why we call the 800# Peggy   !!!!

I realized I made an error- FOIA requests are now centralized:

FOIA SERVICE
810 Vermont Avenue, NW
(005R1C) VACO
Washington, DC 20420 
Fax : 202-632-7581

Make the point that a lot was done via IRIS- I imagine you have copies of the IRIS replies.I would include them with the request.

That is why I always suggest here to get an IRIS hard copy email reply- they can say anything on the phone. FOIAs are centralized by the VA: They will determine where the FOIA should go, when they get it.

FOIA SERVICE
810 Vermont Avenue, NW
(005R1C) VACO
Washington, DC 20420 
Fax : 202-632-7581

I just emailed my request to this email foia.vbaco@va.gov addressed to Angela c Davis. As of November 2020 the VA accepts foia requests electronically as well.

I still need to call Peggy tomorrow and have them reopeny iris inquiry because they haven't addressed questions or sent me the information that I just requested via foia