VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hopefully some really good info for all soon!

Rate this question

Confusedvet1

Question

Pretty stocked and can't wait to get this info and share it.

I recently submitted an iris claim asking about the 10 day policy of waiting after letter is sent with a decision and why they can't make it available online immediately and rationale for their policies etc.

I've spoken to 2 people so far at the Peggy line and both have said that they are jealous (one actually is asking to have the info sent to their management team) of the information being put together for me and that they hope I like to read. One told me I better share this info with other veterans as well so my hopes are high for some really great information to share.

Hopefully more to come by end of next week at latest.

I reopened iris inquiry again and said I would appreciate the actual laws and regulations relating to making veterans wait for decision letters etc. They also couldn't confirm if I sent foia request to right person since they don't have any updates guidance since the days of faxing or mailing them into the evidence intake center.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:44 PM, Berta said:

FOIA SERVICE
810 Vermont Avenue, NW
(005R1C) VACO
Washington, DC 20420 
Fax : 202-632-7581

Make the point that a lot was done via IRIS- I imagine you have copies of the IRIS replies.I would include them with the request.

That is why I always suggest here to get an IRIS hard copy email reply- they can say anything on the phone. FOIAs are centralized by the VA: They will determine where the FOIA should go, when they get it.

FOIA SERVICE
810 Vermont Avenue, NW
(005R1C) VACO
Washington, DC 20420 
Fax : 202-632-7581

I just emailed my request to this email foia.vbaco@va.gov addressed to Angela c Davis.

should pin this info somewhere if not already. i wish i had seen this info when i was trying to get my C-file

Edited by blahsaysme2u

17 hours ago, blahsaysme2u said:

should pin this info somewhere if not already. i wish i had seen this info when i was trying to get my C-file

C files can be done by sending in foia request to the evidence intake center as well I believe.

That is news to me.

I have made this point here Many times over the past 20 plus years-

Do not use FOIA USC 552 for requests for copies of Your medical records or C file.

Use the Privacy Act, 5 USC 552.

If you have a lawyer and they need copies of your C file and VA med redsm and you dont have them, the lawyer- as a third party requester , will need to use FOIA for their request.

After an incident at the local VAMC, a nurse screamed at my husband because he had read all the DAV, AL mags , and local newspaper in the waitingroom , and he picked up his VA file- only one left on the file counter to start reading that but a nurse screamed at him that he is not allowed to do that. We actually believed this info was not available to veterans - their C file and/or their VA medical records.

After he suddenly died I went over to the local VAMC, and went to the Records Access Office ( also known as the FOIA officer, and she had me fill out a very brief form, prove he had died, etc etc C file #- and within a few weeks I got the medical records.

I was shocked that we ,since the nurse incident, had believed those records were not available to VA patients.

When his C file became mine, as I continued his claims at my continuous prosecute of his claims,  

I used the Privacy Act, part of 5 USC 552,to get them. It took longer to get the C file copies. I was concerned because by then, one or two people at the VAMC heard that  I was filling for wrongful death. I dont know where they heard it but that was true.

Years later more C file info showed up at my request-the results of a C & P exam that had been favorable but the VARO had misinterpreted it. And it contained a critical medical report that they had ignored multiple times.