VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Path to SC for tinnitus withOUT hearing loss?

Rate this question

mb76

Question

I have been out of the service for a decade. I claimed tinnitus upon discharge and was denied because I didn't have hearing loss. I gave up on that claim but now the tinnitus is bothering me. I have never gotten any treatment for tinnitus. What is the path to service connection? Note: my MOS is "on the list" for noise exposure.

So tinnitus outside of Noise Induced?

Maybe...

1.) TBI residual/post concussive syndrome

2.) Meniere's --> symptoms include (i)tinnitus, (ii) vertigo, (iii) fluctuate hearing loss

history of blast exposures and TBIs --> post-traumatic menieres

3.) Industrial Chemical/solvent exposure

4.) Tympanic membrane perferation

5.) Otosclerosis

6.) Chronic/Recurrent ear infections

....so at the end of the day, tinnitus is a symptom of damage to the hair cells, most often cause by exposure to prolonged noise exposure.  High frequency ringing most commonly linked to traumatic; low frequency ringing is usually part of aging

On 6/30/2021 at 5:46 AM, GBArmy said:

mb76 You need a current diagnosis and a statement from the audiologist saying that the disability originated from trauma that occurred while you were in the service. You don't have to have a hearing loss along with your tinnitus; they are separate disabilities. However, now days, it is very difficult to have a rating higher than 0% for hearing, as the standards for disability are quite high (severe.) IMHO, the majority of veterans that file both will get the tinnitus at 10% but be only 0% for the hearing loss. Get the diagnosis from you own doc, then you should have a "buddy letter" form 21-10210, describing what action caused your tinnitus. If you can get someone to also submit another buddy letter, maybe  a battle buddy or family member or close friend that can attest that you showed the symptoms during or shortly after your service time, that will go a long way. Unless you really have a severe hearing loss, I wouldn't appeal hearing. Also, start getting evidence on your headaches; get a current diagnosis  and get meds from your doc. Start keeping records/log for frequency, duration  and serverity of them. I wouldn't submit as secondary NOW to your supplemental claim for tinnitus, but build a case for after your appeal. Build evidence; you can use Migraine Buddy app if you want; I just kept a paper log for 3 months. You may be able to get a disability later for that. If it is messing with your mental health, like causing anxiety or depression because you feel isolated because it interfers with your group participation, hearing issues in crowds etc., that can result in another secondary. If you can get a doc to prescribe some medications for the tinnitus, that could also help (doesn't happen a lot.) So, as you see over and over you need 3 things for a successful claim. 1) a current diagnosis, 2)an event or injury in service (I assume your str's do not mention anything on your tinnitus. If you did, request a copy of them.) and 3) a nexus or connection between the first two.  Your diagnosis and comments from your doc and your buddy letters.  Good luck.

I was very recently awarded 10% for Tinnitus by VARO due to exposure to extreme combat noise as an Army medevac pilot in Nam in 1970 that included close by large explosion from friendly fire ARVN artillery, frequent exposure to an ARVN 3-gun 155 unit firing H&I fire night and day next to our Dustoff Quarters at LZ English, being shot down in flames in June of 70 by the local VC. Being shot up by NVA in Cambodia while trying to land in May of 70. Most of time I had no ear protection except when wearing a flight helmet in the aircraft.

All this was documented in my Army records that included the Purple Heart and Combat Medical Badge plus DFC and Air medal awards.

In both written and oral statements to the QTC audiologist I explained how this ringing in the ears started in 70 and later became more noticeable constant in the 80s about same time I was diagnosed by VA with moderate PTSD.  The one-hour hearing exam also showed a slight high frequency hearing loss in the right ear.

Within 20 days the VARO approved my claim. In order to receive 10%I believe your Tinnitus must be constant or reoccurring and effect your normal comfort and daily routine in a negative manner as I experience.  They will ask you about your occupation and recreation noise exposure after service and if you were wearing ear protection

My comment is not legal advice as I not a lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

• HadIt.com Elder

Harrydogg Yes, if your MOS is listed on the Duty-MOS listing as "highly likely" it is most likely going to be granted. But keep in mind, it could be rated at 0% if it does not meet the criteria for a higher rating. Just because you have a diagnosis for hearing loss it doesn't necesaarily result in a rating higher than 0%. It is called "VA rules." The VA makes the rules. I've seen many veterans that have legitimate hearing loss but they don't meet the criteria for a rated condition of 10%. 

The VA will deny deny until appeal hearing loss isn’t essential to get SC for tinnitus, think I was 0% for 8 years until the appeal made it 10% no bread winner but a mental victory 

Edited by jfrei