VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Keep pursing even after getting 100%

Rate this question

overthere

Question

Dont know if Im in the right spot, have spent hours trying to figure out how to use this site

I read "6 reasons to keep pursuing va claims and appeals - AFTER you reach 100%".   Im rated 100% P&T tdui from 'Nam days.   but clicking on it brings  "10 tips to help you keep the c and p exam in perspective".  Is it hidden somewhere else, or not here at all?

and man, its tough reading and understanding lots of stuff on here.... abbreviations. "secondary" conditions,  one thing caused by another....code numbers, medical/technical names.   there must be a bunch of lists somewhere?  Im a 'regular' type guy, but lots of stuff I have read makes me feel pretty dumb trying to understand things.   and now I cant recall the title of this 'forum' for this question, and I looked back, cant find the name of it anywhere, this site is so confusing.

Edited by overthere
length

• HadIt.com Elder

Overthere. Not to worry; just ask your question. The main reason for veterans to continue to seek additional claims after reaching 100 TDIU is that they want to try to go back to work. TDIU means, you CAN'T work. If you earn above $13k or so, they will re-eval and probably drop you down in rating. So that is the usual situation. Your 70+ probably, so do you really think you can handle a decent paying job now and do you want to do it? The other major reason to pursue after getting 100% P&T is if you can get SMC's because you have a lot more issues going on. With VA math, it isn't easy it's not just another 50% rating you need to get. see https://www.va.gov/disability/compensation-rates/special-monthly-compensation-rates/ for starters.

I dont ALWAYS advise Vets to keep seeking benefits after they have reached 100 percent. It actually depends on the circumstances:

Example of not to keep going:  You are a 100 percent Vet, with SMC R2, and have been rated the same 25 years.  It will be fruitless for you to keep going, you are already maxed out.  

Example of when keeping going beyond 100 percent makes sense:

You just got your 100 percent 4 years ago.  You have no SMC.  An increase may mean you reach "100 plus 60 percent" .  By all means keep going.  

I really dont like "clogging up VA resources" with unnecessary or unproductive claims.  Other vets who really need benefits are waiting.  

that smc stuff is complicated.  "another 50%"....."100 plus 60 percent"...."R2"...dont get it....the stuff I read, dont think it applies to me.  not housebound, dont need aid.

clicking on the "reason to keep going after 100%" does not bring me to the answers.   like I said, it brings me to a title about the c and p exam.  do you guys see that, or is my comp fouled up?  guess I'll have to contact tech support, etc?

I read stuff elsewhere that made sense about keeping going after 100%.   said things like registry motor vehicle fee exemptions, house modifications, other things, depends on certain Types of disabilities, not just the 100% rating itself.  

been so long, and  things still keep popping up I never knew about.   Uncle Sam should have an easy to understand "plain english" list of benefits.   I think Uncle Sam figures the less ya know, the more he gets to keep.

lots of you guys on here sound like geniuses to me.  Is there a list on here explaining things like the abbreviations, other terminology, secondary conditions, etc?

41 minutes ago, overthere said:

Is there a list on here explaining things like the abbreviations, other terminology, secondary conditions, etc?

There is a lot of information here, you can type most things in search, and it will find it and even if it does not, you can always ask your questions in one of the forums.

Definitions, Terms, Abbreviations | HadIt.com For Veterans Who've Had It With The VA

Now for being rated 100% and continuing to pursue claims, there are some like myself that the VA has granted them 100% or 100% TDIU and they still have appeals pending.  My appeals go back prior to the VA granting me 100% scheduler so there is a good chance that the VA will still owe me retro pay once my claims are decided. A lot of VA employees and VSOs don't understand that even though I am rated 100% scheduler, the corrected ratings could warrant a good amount of backpay with earlier effective dates. 

• HadIt.com Elder

VA and VSO's always want you to give up if you have 100%.  I got some serious money by pursuing my claims beyond TDIU.   You could possibly get some sort of SMC beyond 100%.  I got "S" beyond P&T.

again I'll ask doesnt anybody see the question about pursuing after you get 100 on their screen??  on the first/main page, buried behind all the darn ads.  maybe my comp isnt bringing up the current way the site is made?  Im just real basic user when it comes to knowing comps.

I recall back in the day, not having good luck with vso, didnt seem real interested.  guess theres good ones who care and really know the ropes, and some not so good... maybe a crapshoot, the good ones with lots of experience vs ones just starting out.

pacmanx1 - ya really confused me there, Im better off forgetting I read it.

cant imagine how one can get serious money pursuing beyond tdui....I guess beside that smc stuff.

Edited by overthere