Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

What Are Vet Reps Supposed To Do Other Than Get Evidence To Va?

Rate this question

tssnave

Question

In a previous thread a hadit member stated that all he used his VSO for was to get information time stamped and to the VA.

At the risk of showing my complete ignorance here (and I've been in the VA claims process for 3 years) other than sending the VA the information you want to make sure they get, what are the vet reps supposed to do?

My former DAV rep did submit my NOD after I got my initial denial for sc of my disability AFTER I happened to talk to the supervisor who told me he'd make sure my rep turned in an NOD but I never got a copy of it.

Is the VSO supposed to send you copies of the correspondence they send to the VA on your behalf?

The reason I ask is that this same supervisor, when I called in while I was between reps (I've had 4 in 3 years, they keep moving to other offices) also took my call when I was upset that the VA was asking me for stuff I'd already sumbitted. He told me he'd write them a letter and he sent me a copy that same day. I wish the supervisor was my vet rep.

My current vet rep is a nice guy but he can't keep me straight from his other mental illness vet(s). I do NOT have PTSD but he keeps thinking I do. Once he got on me for missing an exam but it wasn't me ~ it was the one-armed vet ;-) ~ Needless to say, his confusion on who I am and what my claim is (it's happened several times, not just once or twice) does not instill confidence in him for me.

I have tried to get clarification from him for my "do we submit a NOD, reconsideration, or increase evaluation request" with my new and material evidence for my DRO decision rating I'd like to see increased to a more appropriate level but he can't seem to give me a clear, consistent answer. This leads me to believe that again, he's not tracking with who I am and at what stage my claim is.

To the best of my knowledge, they have gotten everything I've sent them to the VA. I send everything to the DAV priority mail with tracking, give it a week and call to verify they got it and took it to VA. For the last year I have also been calling the VA 1-800 number to make sure they have it logged in their system. To the best of my knowledge the DAV has given everything to the VA (they are in the same building).

So, just what is it the vet reps are supposed to do other than get the information you send them in to the VA with a date stamp?

Thanks,

ts

Edited by tssnave

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

VSO's at the regional offices are supposed to support Veterans in their jurisdiction.

Their responsibilities are Issuing, following up and act as a liason in representing Veterans on claims. If you run across one who cannot answer a question of something else, They may be too busy. Remember, the more busier the person the more likely of mistakes, misses, ect.

It is always better to submit your documents directly to the VA. Vias certified mail. You can send a copy to the Rep also.

I would look at a using a VSO with caution. Just type in vso and search hadit. There is a lot of history on this subject.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

All NSo, VSo and vet rep job descriptions regarding claims are just about the same-at the regional level and BVA level. This is what the DAV NSOs are supposed to do:

"DAV NSOs assist veterans and their families in filing claims for VA disability compensation, rehabilitation and education programs, pensions, death benefits, employment and training programs, and many other programs.

Our NSOs are highly trained professionals. Moreover, they are skilled experts in developing and prosecuting veterans' claims through in-depth reviews of medical histories in conjunction with sound application of current law and regulations.

In representing veterans and their families, NSOs assist in the thorough preparation of claims and written briefs, which includes helping to assemble evidence in support of those claims. They also review rating board decisions and inform veterans and their families of the appeals process and their appellate rights.

Board of Veterans Appeals (BVA)

In the event of appellate review of a veteran's claim, the DAV is extremely well prepared to assist veterans and their families.

The DAV maintains the largest and most skilled staff of National Appeals Officers (NAOs) to represent veterans before the Board of Veterans Appeals (BVA) in Washington, D.C.

NAOs represent the largest percentage of claimants in cases decided by the BVA. This representation clearly speaks volumes for the confidence veterans and their families place in DAV representation.

Judicial Appeals

The DAV also has an impressive presence before the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims through which veterans have the right to independent judicial review of appeals denied by the BVA.

The DAV was the first to submit an appellate brief to the Court and the first to present oral argument by a non-attorney practitioner.

The DAV continues to be highly instrumental in addressing many issues before the Court, as well as to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. The resulting decisions have changed, and continue to change, the way in which the VA carries out its mission."

from:http://www.dav.org/veterans/claim_representation.html

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

When I submitted my original claim in 1991 my first Service Officer thank God was pretty good. By the luck of the intake sheet I got the one good one in the office at that time. He told me to apply for Social Security cause it would take the VA a long time.

When I had my first hearing I got a letter from a SO who would represent me at my Hearing and it stated he would review my claim 30 minutes before the Hearing. I was offended that claims were handled so haphazardly but that was the System back than.

As we have seen on Hadit there are good and not so good SO's and to tell the truth I am pretty sure I could not come close to doing what they do every day.

I think for new people getting a SO is important but I think it is like a job interview and Veterans should be careful who they appoint to manage their claim.

Bottom line is the claim is the responsibility of the claimant and win or lose the claimant has to live with the results. With the resources on Hadit and the forum with lots of time you can check out pretty much how your SO is doing.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

My first claim, I went threw tex vet commision. He's a busy man with a waiting line. So having lots of free time and the internet i filed for an increase on my on. At the advice of others i found another vso ! I filled out papper work for power of attorney for both of them. So , Who will the va contact ? Current one has sent no papper work in in my behalf to my knowlege. I also read statements from vets saying there vso was able to find info on there claim before letters are sent out. How does a vet get the access to the same info, besides the 800 number?