Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Okay, Does This Mean What I Think It Means? Progress?

Rate this question

vetswife

Question

I called the VSO because we were talking bout Rick's claim for diabetes, which gives him SP for ED, but we have to pay for the prescriptions. We both agree that the original claim letter, when taken to the VA, will cause them to payback all of the ED prescriptions we have paid for over the last 4 years, as it should be free due to SC.

While we were talking, since he has a claim for PTSD, we were discussing the best way of going about getting the original claim letter, since I can't find it. Decision was to request in writing a copy (I was going to get a copy of his c-file anyway). Because of the current claim, we were weighing the pros and cons of doing it now or waiting, and she looked up where his claim was.

ITS IN RATING!!!!

Does this mean what I think it means? Are we getting movement on it? Regardless, I am not asking for a THING from the VA until this is done, but I got excited . .then I got to thinking.

This seems awfully fast. When we sent in the documentation, we had his stressor letter, my stressor letter, the SSI files showing he had not been employed and earning more then 3000 a year for the last 25+ years, documentation of the stressor which I found on the VA website in a previous BOA statement, which documented HIS unit was in the exact place at the exact time and went through the exact stressor that we are claiming, which was given to the Board by the Army, his personnel records showing he had no problems prior to the stressor and had three article 15's after, so I thought it was well documented. . The VSO thought so as well. However, it has only been 6 months, and I am afraid that after putting my husband through this (which has been difficult for him) that they will deny him as I have seen so often on this board.

He has had several exams, but how do you know when it's a C&P exam as opposed to a regular exam? Could he have had it already and we just didn't know?

I'm scared and yet excited (more scared, really) because I am afraid that even though I spent HOURS searching for information for him, it was not enough. He will be SO disappointed if this doesn't work.

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Well, it does sound like the claim is moving but then it could be in rating for awhile yet.

You should know if he had a C&P. The appointment letter says C&P. In Salt Lake, all C&P's are done in a seperate area with rooms only used for C&P exams.

If you have been as thourough as it appears and treating Docs assement is clear, he may not need a C&P. It doesn't happen very often though.

Ummm, if things don't go your way, it's important to not look at it as a failure. It's better to look at it as just another step in the proccess and not give up. The VA screws up, and it doesn't always matter how hard you've worked on it. Again, for peace of mind, it's better to look at it as another step in the proccess.

That said, I think your on top of it and should be successfull.

Time

You can also get copies of medical records directly from the VA medical center. That way you can see them and not have to rely on what the VA tells you they say. My husband's SOC said "the doctor said this - the doctor said that." But if you pick up your med reports from the VA center - you can see EXACTLY what the doctor said.

I think you can also do this with C&P exams. You can get a copy of the report well before the VA uses it to make a decision. That way, if there are things you do not agree with in the report - you can try to get them handled before a decision is made.

Free

I called the VSO because we were talking bout Rick's claim for diabetes, which gives him SP for ED, but we have to pay for the prescriptions. We both agree that the original claim letter, when taken to the VA, will cause them to payback all of the ED prescriptions we have paid for over the last 4 years, as it should be free due to SC.

While we were talking, since he has a claim for PTSD, we were discussing the best way of going about getting the original claim letter, since I can't find it. Decision was to request in writing a copy (I was going to get a copy of his c-file anyway). Because of the current claim, we were weighing the pros and cons of doing it now or waiting, and she looked up where his claim was.

ITS IN RATING!!!!

Does this mean what I think it means? Are we getting movement on it? Regardless, I am not asking for a THING from the VA until this is done, but I got excited . .then I got to thinking.

This seems awfully fast. When we sent in the documentation, we had his stressor letter, my stressor letter, the SSI files showing he had not been employed and earning more then 3000 a year for the last 25+ years, documentation of the stressor which I found on the VA website in a previous BOA statement, which documented HIS unit was in the exact place at the exact time and went through the exact stressor that we are claiming, which was given to the Board by the Army, his personnel records showing he had no problems prior to the stressor and had three article 15's after, so I thought it was well documented. . The VSO thought so as well. However, it has only been 6 months, and I am afraid that after putting my husband through this (which has been difficult for him) that they will deny him as I have seen so often on this board.

He has had several exams, but how do you know when it's a C&P exam as opposed to a regular exam? Could he have had it already and we just didn't know?

I'm scared and yet excited (more scared, really) because I am afraid that even though I spent HOURS searching for information for him, it was not enough. He will be SO disappointed if this doesn't work.

Think Outside the Box!

Does he receive SSDI for the same condition he is claiming? This sounds like a PTSD claim.

Has he formally applied for TDIU on the 21-8940 form?

The stressor- I commend you for getting this info on it-

I too hope this is good enough for the VA-

One can never assume what they might do- even with compelling evidence-

My husband found out 29 years after Vietnam that he received the PUC on his DD 215 and thought it was for a volunteer job his unit did in Vietnam. Which was horrible.

enough to give the whole group of Marine volunteers PTSD.

Many years after he died I found the actual citation for the PUC-on the web -

it was pretty detailed but actually it was the normal SOP that Marines in Rolling Thunder and the early ops did anyhow-

a Fabulous citation- dont get me wrong-they thought they had won the war in 1965-

but it did not reflect his specific stressors at all.

The VA did not even know of the PUC and 2 or 3 other awards he had when they awarded him SC PTSD in 1983.

He didnt get the proper DD 215 until 1994 with the PUC on it.

Same time, same place with a unit involving a specific stressor might certainly be all the proof the VA needs.

Sometimes a MOS however- might not be compatible with the stressor.

I mention all this because-

1. my claim has been in and out of the rating board countless times during the past 5 years-

2.BUT it pays to be optimistic -with caution-

I am back in rating board again my self- and they now say a Supervisor in ratings has the claim.

I say be hopeful but often a vet or a widow has to think about the next plan of action-(I call them my war plans-meaning there is always another mode of action I can take)

The VCAA letter he received stated exactly what the VA needed to award-and maybe this fast movement he got is a very good sign-I sure hope it is!

Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.