Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

I Am Dead

Rate this question

kw34

Question

I have been reading for some time now and thought I would share my experience. I served in DS/DS EF/IF and was denied SC for malignant melanoma with 2 positive sentinel lymph node and left groin dissection as a of exposure to burning petroleum and jet and diesel fuels and their exhaust in july 2008. I am working on my NOD however, there wos one item in the denial letter that I wanted to share and get the boards take on it.

In the introduction it was stated that the claim was a death claim and from reading my post you reconize that I am very much alive. In my NOD I mention this and that my claim was not fully developed nor properly ajudicated because it was assumed that I was dead. I did not recieve a c&p exam so in my opinion the links between petroleum and the develoment of tumors was never explored. I look forward to your responses.

kw34

The Big Man

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I may have missed it but what is your C&P for? if you don't mind. I read your earlier post and it said they (VARO)thought you were dead and denied your claim back in Oct08....Yog

Yoggie,

It is for my Melanoma on the advice from the Hadit gang I asked for reconsideration and sent in additional information to include and IMO and it was reopened the same month. With help of you guys I was able to orginize and provide the information based on the denial letter. When I initially filed no one told me what info was needed I visited the DAV and they gave me a lot of helpful information but as for as the prep of what I submitted i am dissappointed. Then I found Hadit and here we are in six months I have an exam the other eight or so months a denial.

I don't know what the future holds but with the help of this sight We were able to get what the DAV could not. So thanks to everyone a hopfully we have tagged third and headed for home standing.

kw34

I don't know what the future holds but with the help of this sight We were able to get what the DAV could not.

kw34

Boy oh boy, this seems to be the case. Make sure you post a few days prior so we can throw some helpful stuff your way, you know kinda like running the list for you and cover your bases on you and as far as what to expect from the examiner.

GENERAL GEORGE S. PATTON, JR.

"Do more than is required of you."

This is par for the course at the VA. Most likely, there was shredded evidence, or not considered evidence. I would like you to tell your story to Southern Belle..she is making a youtube/cnn video to help other Veterans, and this outrage should bring home the point the extremes the VA goes to to deny Veterans claims. Some people on hadit are very articulate and good writers, so maybe one of them would even help tell your story. I already like it.

Update, the RO is really on the ball. :P I recieved a phone reminder today for my C&P exam tommorrow morning. My letter actually listed the doctor who would be examining me so I looked him up Internal Medican 44 years of experience graduated Tufts I think it was.

Yes, I can see they are "on the ball"..but maybe you should wait to see if you get your benefits first...THEN you can sing their praises..I got phone calls, too, from the Roanoke RO..and had good service there when my claim was "farmed out" to Roanoke.

However, Cleveland was worried that Roanoke would give me good service and approve my claim, so they insisted it be sent back to Cleveland for rating..they would only allow Roanoke to develop and delay the claim. Of course, Cleveland denied my increase. I had a good rapport with Roanoke..so, naturally, the VA sends it somewhere else to be rated.

ALWAYS REMEMBER THIS:

Whenever someone calls you, says they are with the government and they are there to help you, WATCH YOUR BACK!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use