Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Group Oupatient Therapy

Rate this question

Alb

Question

I was service connected for PTSD, it was noted at my C&P that I was not in regular outpatient treatment sessions and no inpatient treatment program. This was noted to be recommended and beneficial by the C&P examiner so the residuals of my condition, may improve with regular therapy. Since there is likelihood of improvement, the assigned is not considered permanent and subject to future review examination. My question is*** can group therapy in this case be mandated or can I just attend my personal sessions with my psychologist. Can the C&P examiner reduce my rate if I do not attend group therapy or inpatient program that was recommened? I have gone to the group sessions and all it has done is make my symptoms worse. I cannot bare to reopen the wound everytime I go and talk about my PTSD issues. It hurts too much to bring up the past. It makes my PTSD worse. What can I tell the C&P examiner next time I go. Is there a way now I can request P&T with only going to group therapy for about 4 months, or do I just wait till the next C&P? :rolleyes:

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

No one can force you to have any kind of treatment. They cannot mandate individual or group therapy. The idea is that if you are getting any kind of therapy then you are documenting your ongoing symptoms. This is a good thing in VA land.

John is right-

VA loves a paper trail to back up their decisions-

There is no cure for PTSD but they do want PTSD vets in some sort of therapy.

You do see a private psychologist-maybe he would be willing to give you an IMO that would support a claim for P & T status.

I saw VA's rationale work when-for 5 years- my husband saw the VA employee shrink for his PTSD. They would not let him into their regular group therapy for PTSD vets because he wasnt 100% (I found out later most of the vets in this group were 100% NSC and that was why they were allowed into the group but he wasnt. :rolleyes: )

Also the psychologist could not medicate him for PTSD- a factor VA tried to use when they tried to lower his comp but it didnt work.Even when he left the VA job, they still did not send him to see the PTSD psychiatrist.The VA psychologist was a wonderful man.

But he didnt have a clue about PTSD.

It took Congressional invention to finally get him to the real PTSD shrink- the local VA had one of the best PTSD psychiatrists around.

He was given extensive psychological testing by this doctor and also finally was medicated for PTSD.

Also he participated in the 21 day inhouse PTSD program.

When I re-opened his claim after he died, the VA ignored all of the pyschiatrists records and even his SSA award solely for PTSD.

When I questioned this and then sent them the records ,I asked his psychiatrist to write to the VA himself as to the records he had compiled on Rod.

He wrote them a brief letter decribing his test results, diagnosis, and treatments, and told them Rod got SSA solely for PTSD.

Within 3 weeks I received his posthumous award letter for 100% P & T PTSD with the same EED that SSA had given to him (it was one year prior to his claim for higher rating)

VA needs plenty of documentation to justify their awards-and to justify that a vet with PTSD is getting current treatment and meds, theefore currently has PTSD.

The VA cannot hold this against a PTSD vet because PTSD has no cure, and if they attempt to lower a vets rating, they have to have proof positive of a substantial and significant improvement in the vet's PTSD (by medical evidence).

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

No. The VA cannot force you into group therapy. I've been in therapy with the VA (well, they call it therapy) for over 10 years now for PTSD....been in quite a few groups as well and I know what you mean. The groups make me worse. Luckily my todcs have made note of this in my records. Have your tdoc (therapist) do the same for you. Tell him or her exactly how being in a group makes you feel before, during and after the group.

Take good care...

• HadIt.com Elder

Nope,Nada, no way. Never 'had' to attend group, individual works best for me. C&P exam notes are important to raters, but can, could, could not be and possibly considered other medical evidence for approval or denial of claims. Attended group a few times in my life; mostly showed other people in dire straights for this or that, rarely my issues. Like a soap opera that I didnt want to buy into.

My thoughts, where I am most comfortable? and why would I want to take on another persons issues when I get to live with what I have?

Also, in my opinion C&P examiners statements are used for claims. The long lasting effects is if their words are used in the SOC. Other than that, some notes may be used for further medical treatment. I am now getting treatment because I read my exam and personally asked for treatment from the VA; not the other way around.

Hope this helps,

Cg'up2009

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!

I was service connected for PTSD, it was noted at my C&P that I was not in regular outpatient treatment sessions and no inpatient treatment program. This was noted to be recommended and beneficial by the C&P examiner so the residuals of my condition, may improve with regular therapy. Since there is likelihood of improvement, the assigned is not considered permanent and subject to future review examination. My question is*** can group therapy in this case be mandated or can I just attend my personal sessions with my psychologist.

Alb - you are getting some good advice in this thread. No they can not make you attend group therapy. Your personal sessions with your psychologist should be fine.

I would though,be sure to discuss the ongoing symptoms of your PTSD with the psychologist, so it is of record, whatever they maybe, nightmares etc...

I would also keep pharmacy documentation of RX's for Mental Health.

Remember the decision maker's are supposed to adhere to the Schedule for Rating Disabilities.

Can the C&P examiner reduce my rate if I do not attend group therapy or inpatient program that was recommened?

A C&P examiner does not have the authority to reduce compensation, this is done by decision maker's (raters). Also, there is a rule that pertains to reductions being disallowed due to a single examination, maybe someone will post it for you.

I have gone to the group sessions and all it has done is make my symptoms worse. I cannot bare to reopen the wound everytime I go and talk about my PTSD issues. It hurts too much to bring up the past. It makes my PTSD worse.

I think alot of us PTSDer's feel this same way.

What can I tell the C&P examiner next time I go.

How long ago was your PTSD granted ? It's usually a while before any review is ordered by VA.

Is there a way now I can request P&T with only going to group therapy for about 4 months, or do I just wait till the next C&P? :huh:

C&P's are not ordered on a regular basis. I think the time to worry about it would only be if

you received a proposal to reduce. If you can get your psychologist to write a letter in support stating something to the effect,

It is my Medical Opinion the veteran's PTSD is static in nature and shows little room for improvement, etc... This may help in getting P&T granted if you request it. Usually P&T takes some time to get granted.

jmho,

carlie

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.