Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ask For Sex If She's Sober

Rate this question

purple

Question

This story was sent to me by another woman veteran....disturbs me greatly that a woman, with that much "power" in the Pentagon would say something like this, and it was obviously covered up, well not anymore! I've also passed this along to Jim Strickland and asked him to make it public in his special way!!

Time to send Ms Whitely some correspondence, don't you think?..........

25% increase in sex assault in combat zones: 'Wait until she's sober,' says Pentagon watchdog

BY Richard Sisk

DAILY NEWS WASHINGTON BUREAU

Updated Wednesday, March 25th 2009, 12:44 PM

The Pentagon is launching a sex assault prevention camapign which advises soldies to "ask her when she's sober."

WASHINGTON - It didn't get the attention of President Obama's recent Special Olympics. gaffe, but a "wait until she's sober" crack by the military's top sex crimes watchdog was more offensive, one New York lawmaker says.

"This woman is not in the right line of work," Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-Rochester) said of the statement last week by Dr. Kaye Whitley, director of the Pentagon's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office.

Whitley's bizarre quote came as she released the military's annual report on sex assault, which showed a 25% increase in combat zones, including 22 cases in Afghanistan and 143 in Iraq.

In pitching "bystander intervention" to curb attacks and harassment, Whitley gave this example: "If you see one of your buddies serve drinks to somebody to get them drunk, maybe what you do is step in and say 'Why don't you wait until she's sober?'"

Slaughter was aghast. "I was really shocked anyone would say a thing like that," she said.

In effect, Whitley was telling the troops to "go after her when she's sober - that says she's fair game," added Slaughter, who sponsored the legislation that required the military to report annually on sex assaults and its efforts to curb them.

In a written response to The News, Whitley said Slaughter did not "hear the statement in the context of the overall prevention strategy of the Department."

The statement came from a poster in a military marketing campaign called "Our Strength is for Defending" that is aimed at prevention, Whitley said.

The poster reads: "My Strength is for Defending, so when I saw that she was drunk, I told him, 'Ask her when she's sober.' Preventing sexual assault is part of my duty."

Whitley's annual report showed that the number of sex assaults in the 1.4 million-member active-duty military increased 8% to 2,908 in the year ending in September 2008.

Whitley noted that only about 20% of the attacks are reported because of "the fear and stigma associated with the crime."

Just 38% of the cases that were reported eventually were referred to a court martial, she said.

"This is one of the problems," said Rachel Natelson, a lawyer at the Veterans and Servicemembers Project of the Urban Justice Center in Manhattan. "It's a lack of consequences. People think they can act with impunity."

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

that is just too bizarre....i see a big backlash occuring at the pentagon.

<b>for sale.....1 used veteran.slightly broken.

understands very little when it comes to regulations.

please be gentle.housebroken</b> <b>,growls

but does not bite</b>

• HadIt.com Elder

What????!!!! Who is this crazy person? So she thinks rape is ok if someone is sober? Wow, that's not a Gaffe that's an indicator of attitude.

Does anyone have Dr. Whitely mailing address? If so would you be so kind as to send it to me? This lie that they (DOD/VA) are telling that makes it seem that most if not all of the rape cases in the military are alcohol related needs to stopped, put down. and we can all attend the memorial service!

The campaign should say: If you rape you are setting yourself up for a date with the electric chair! :lol:

This story was sent to me by another woman veteran....disturbs me greatly that a woman, with that much "power" in the Pentagon would say something like this, and it was obviously covered up, well not anymore! I've also passed this along to Jim Strickland and asked him to make it public in his special way!!

25% increase in sex assault in combat zones: 'Wait until she's sober,' says Pentagon watchdog

BY Richard Sisk

The Pentagon is launching a sex assault prevention camapign which advises soldies to "ask her when she's sober."

WASHINGTON - It didn't get the attention of President Obama's recent Special Olympics. gaffe, but a "wait until she's sober" crack by the military's top sex crimes watchdog was more offensive, one New York lawmaker says.

"This woman is not in the right line of work," Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-Rochester) said of the statement last week by Dr. Kaye Whitley, director of the Pentagon's Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office.

Whitley's bizarre quote came as she released the military's annual report on sex assault, which showed a 25% increase in combat zones, including 22 cases in Afghanistan and 143 in Iraq.

In pitching "bystander intervention" to curb attacks and harassment, Whitley gave this example: "If you see one of your buddies serve drinks to somebody to get them drunk, maybe what you do is step in and say 'Why don't you wait until she's sober?'"

Slaughter was aghast. "I was really shocked anyone would say a thing like that," she said.

In effect, Whitley was telling the troops to "go after her when she's sober - that says she's fair game," added Slaughter, who sponsored the legislation that required the military to report annually on sex assaults and its efforts to curb them.

In a written response to The News, Whitley said Slaughter did not "hear the statement in the context of the overall prevention strategy of the Department."

The statement came from a poster in a military marketing campaign called "Our Strength is for Defending" that is aimed at prevention, Whitley said.

The poster reads: "My Strength is for Defending, so when I saw that she was drunk, I told him, 'Ask her when she's sober.' Preventing sexual assault is part of my duty."

Whitley's annual report showed that the number of sex assaults in the 1.4 million-member active-duty military increased 8% to 2,908 in the year ending in September 2008.

Whitley noted that only about 20% of the attacks are reported because of "the fear and stigma associated with the crime."

Just 38% of the cases that were reported eventually were referred to a court martial, she said.

"This is one of the problems," said Rachel Natelson, a lawyer at the Veterans and Servicemembers Project of the Urban Justice Center in Manhattan. "It's a lack of consequences. People think they can act with impunity."

simplefly-sadly no, there will be no backlash because this story was buried. it just goes to show that the upper management truly doesn't give a sh!t about women vets who have been raped while on active duty.

ladypoetry-i'll try to find her info....have you tried searching on her name?

She is so lame. Too bad we can't say "Wait till she's fired!" Put her on the front line. Not all soldiers drink, and especially not all female soldiers. I never did and still don't. She clearly is in the wrong position. Attacks happen to sober people too! :lol:

BY Richard Sisk

• HadIt.com Elder

This is a outrage! Sexual assaults and harrassment can and DO occur at anytime, anywhere in the military. There is NO defense for this type of statement. Any proof needed? Penance - let her meet 30 MST victims individually, every day for a month, Alone.........life is never the same, Never.

Cg :lol:

For my children, my God sent husband and my Hadit family of veterans, I carry on.

God Bless A m e r i c a, Her Veterans and their Families!