Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Many People Are Waiting On Appeal?

Rate this question

retiredat44

Question

How many people are waiting on appeal, and how long has your appeal been pending for an answer of approved or denied?

I am in month 5.

Appeal sent in about Novemember 2009, with help of my VSO.

=============

• Answers 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hello All,

I've been on this forum for a little while, just reading and reading. I finally decided to post, being that I'm not much into this kind of thing. I filed my original claim back in July 2008. I was granted 20% for tinnitus and another condition. Denied by the Denver RO on six other issues, so I've been fighting them up to this point. I've had help from the Larimer County VSO, and they've been good. They are extremely overloaded though. I imagine everyone-everywhere is experiencing the same thing. I can't imagine that some of you guys have had to wait so long for your claims to be decided. These wait times are criminal to say the least. I live in Colorado, and I haven't heard good or bad about the Denver RO, I get my exams done in Cheyenne. But I know from my experience that the VA will deny, deny, deny, and hope you go away, and in my case, low-ball you in hopes of you going away.

I started out getting out of the Marine Corps, and knowing that I had a case, I didn't want to be one of those guys that was getting money and benefits for what seemed to me, minor issues, but when I finally went it to the VSO and then to my first C & P exam, holy crap, I knew right away I was in for a long fight. Then I found Hadit.com, and it's been a great source of information.

Keep at it and Semper Fi! I'll post my updates, and hopefully, they'll be encouraging to me and everyone else!

• HadIt.com Elder

On February 18th, I sent a 90 day notice to my VARO, to review my NOD, DRO request of one year or I would drop the DRO process and request a formal hearing before the BVA. I didn't hear a thing back. 90 days passed, so I recently sent a notice giving them an additional 60 days due to the high volume of claims. After that 60 days passes, I will send them a 60 day notice of intent to file a Writ of Mandamus. After that I will hire a lawyer, and move my NOD to the BVA.

From what I have read here, that should keep my claim alive for another 2 or 3 years. Patience is an option for me, at this time in my life. My bigger plan, is to keep breathing.

Edited by Commander Bob

• HadIt.com Elder

Panamavet

Have you applied for Social Security. If not you should do so today

Applied in 2002. Benefits awarded in 2009, with effective date in 2007. Currently appealing the effective date. Appeals still pending after more than 8 years, and may have to go back to the BVA again, which will take ANOTHER 4 years. I wont likely see all my benefits until 2014, 12 years after I first applied.

However, 12 years is a bit optimistic because The VA has announced that they expect claims to take even longer in year 2011, so it will probably be more like 15 to 20 years. Even at that, I am a "short timer" to a friend of mine in a group who has been waiting since 1973 for his benefits..37 years, and this is not the VA's longest pending claim either. There really is some truth to the "delay till you die" motto at the VA, as my friend is unlikely to get his benefits before he dies..and his heirs will be out more than a million dollars.