Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Social Worker

Rate this question

RonP

Question

The VA has now assigned me a social worker, after my last visit to my Clinic Psychiatrist.

Does any one have any idea as to why this is relevant.

I am currently 50% Ptsd. But they say they are trying to get me an increase.

This is a Nemyer case and the file is open on someones desk in San Diego

I live in the Philippines.

Thanks,

Ron

• Answers 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

You have to call them and the VA will tell you who your SW'er is. Mine helped me get some home care. I was disappointed with the care. They tried to charge my medicare first. Then I told them I am 100% HB vet so get it right.

The VA oursourced my home care to some private outfit that was just awful.

Thanks for this info - I had no idea there was such a person. Maybe they can help me to get a voucher so I can get my IBS tests locally...

Let us be kind, one to another, for we are each of us together in our pain.

Thanks as always for your comments.

The Cardiologist actually quoted a US GOVERNMENT STUDY in his letter to the VA .

At that time they would not allow a claim for Heart Disease of any kind , we were told.

Since I was referred by the Psychiatric unit of Kaiser, my medical provider, they said I had to file for PTSD

A 10 minute conversation at the VA Cafeteria. I never had an actual PTSD test or evaluation of any kind.

Until I came to the Philippines, and then it was by a hired gun Psychologist, that never asked 1 question

about my combat history at the age of 17 and 18. Denied the request for increase.I appealed the decision to increase, but was denied on appeal.

Since all this Nemyer stuff started, the VA has been nicer to me, assigned me an actual experienced shrink that is also an MD,

and she has changed my diagnosis. I went in for my normal 6 month visit to VA and I had trouble getting to the desk when they called me.

They called for a couple of nurses to help me to his office, it was then that he , the one that thinks combat is a video game, brought in the

case worker, It was like I won a prize or something. She actually called to see if I was ok after the return flight home......It just smells fishy to me. The VA is all of a sudden being nice.....

Pardon my cynicism, but something stinks in the corner. They have now assigned me back to the Shrink that does know something about combat for 3 more months.

Anyway, it just smells to me......MY ejection fraction is so low that my entire lower extremities go to sleep if I sit in one position for more than a half hour or so.

Try to walk on 2 dead feet and you look kind of comical. Like a Palsy thing......LOL

You might have hit it on the head, Neymer is forcing them to re-evaluate initial diagnosis, and are choking on the possible retro involved.

Thanks,

Ron Prince

I went back to your older Posts Ron

"my Dr wrote a letter about PTSD more likely than not caused my Ischemic Heart Disease"

I too had a claim like that in 1995 that was denied.But no IMO.

I think- since you are under Nehmer- the VA is trying to determine the older claim as to how it has been subsumed by the newer IHD claim.

They could have found something in that older decision ( you did have an IMO) that was wrong and to your favor.

Odd because I have similiar situation.

I re -opened 2 claims my husband had pending at death and they were awarded but I also received a denial that I forgot I appealed to the BVA.I even forgot I had file Motion of CUE on the BVA decision.Which was denied.When I found te BVA denial I sent it to Nehmer people and NVLSP.

After re-=opening his claims I had read an extraordinary book written by a VA cardiologist.

He was convinced that, after he had autopsied countless incountry combat deceased veterans, the high level of atherosclerotic heart disease he found they had, at ages almost all under 25,had to be profoundly related to the stress of battle.

I filed an additional claim for my husband's PTSD causing his heart disease.I sent the VA this entire book as evidence. They got md because I swiped it from the Bath VA patient's library.I did get it back to the library with a small late fee. I had a VA library card anyhow. That claim was denied as well as a CUE motion I had filed so that put me under Nehmer .But I also filed 2 SMC CUE claims in 2004 that were also put under Nehmer in August 2010.

In this respect I think our Nehmer claims are the same-

VA told me that they must resolve the CUE claims (pending when IHD regs came out)in my case as they directly involve legal errors on IHD, before they decide the formal AO IHD claim.

So I am thinking in your case they have to look over the older claim you had regarding PTSD to heart disease to see if that claim was done properly at time of denial and then Nehmer would resolve the IHD claim if Nehmer would offer you the highest potential benefit.

OR they are attempting to rate you properly based on the older PTSD claim and medical evidence at time of that claim for a staged IHD rating under Nehmer.

Could that be possible?

Could it also be possible that they rated you wrong as NSC heart disease at time of the older claim?

Or they discovered the PTSD rating then was wrong?

"But they say they are trying to get me an increase.

This is a Nemyer case and the file is open on someones desk in San Diego

I live in the Philippines."

Then again maybe there is no relationship to the "increase" to the social worker ?

I just caught a vet's post at another web site-

he was awarded some time ago for DMII and recently awarded under Nehmer for IHD.

The Nehmer people told him the rest of his claim was going to another VARO.

It sounded to me like Nehmer rater caugt an error in his other claim.

"Neymer is forcing them to re-evaluate initial diagnosis, and are choking on the possible retro involved."

I agree.

The Footnote One stuff in Nehmer is interesting and provides for AO comp even if the VA failed to properly rate IHD or any one of the new presumptives in a past decision.

Even if I had not filed CUE claims in 2004, I am sure the VA's errors in older decisions I had would have been caught by the Nehmer raters as they failed to even rate my husband;s IHD in the same 1151 award letter I got in which they said their failure to diagnose and treat it had caused his death.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

You know I was rated 0% for arterioscelorisis(spelling?) and on appeal I got 60% for heart disease. Do I have any claim under Nehmer. I filed in 2003 and it was rated 0% so I was not denied per se. I was not included in the Nehmer group. I don't want to rattle this cage unless I can get something because I got "S" out of the 60% rating and that rating was a benefit of doubt rating.

• HadIt.com Elder

John:

I think that you have a claim but no one has a claim with the VA till they ask for it.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.