VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Competency

Rate this question

Abhean

Question

Have a quick question. I just received my PTSD packet which the VA found me at 50%. In the packet there was a little section in it that read " A finding for incompetency is proposed". Talking with my VA rep here in town I was told that it is exactly as read they believe that I am incompetent to manage my money. I have managed my funds for the last 10 years including my mortgage with very few problems. Is this incompetency something that is placed on most people that file PTSD claims?

I am fighting with myself if I want to fight the finding or not. The VA said that I am very close to 70% and that is what I have been told I am actually at if not more. My GAF score was 44 and the listed 70% evaluation list I have most of those symptoms they listed. I assume if I do not fight this incompetency thing the appeal will go quicker or with less problems. Would you guys find that correct?

Oh if I do not fight the incompetency finding I also lose my rights to bear any weapons... Hard to deal with when I was a cop for a long time.

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

IMO if they think you're then they should give you 100%. The VA is full of BS. Hey this guy can't handle his money but lets give him a 50% rating. Sorry had to vent.

Thats kind of the position I am at right now myself.

Tbird thank you for that link. I am very happy I happened on your site.

Thats kind of the position I am at right now myself.

Tbird thank you for that link. I am very happy I happened on your site.

I think you give VA to much credit. They can't understand what they are dong to us!

I'm assuming that you had a C&P exam for PTSD. Did you get a copy of the Doctor's report? It should have stated in the report whether or not you could manage your own funds. I have been reading some of the articles in vawatchdog about this fiduciary stuff, and there are some crooked people out there. Some, I believe have been sent to jail. Most likely more needs to follow. Just do not give up on this, you want to handle your own funds, or at least have a spouse, close relative do it for you. Not a VA appointed person.

Papa

Have a quick question. I just received my PTSD packet which the VA found me at 50%. In the packet there was a little section in it that read " A finding for incompetency is proposed". Talking with my VA rep here in town I was told that it is exactly as read they believe that I am incompetent to manage my money. I have managed my funds for the last 10 years including my mortgage with very few problems. Is this incompetency something that is placed on most people that file PTSD claims?

I am fighting with myself if I want to fight the finding or not. The VA said that I am very close to 70% and that is what I have been told I am actually at if not more. My GAF score was 44 and the listed 70% evaluation list I have most of those symptoms they listed. I assume if I do not fight this incompetency thing the appeal will go quicker or with less problems. Would you guys find that correct?

Oh if I do not fight the incompetency finding I also lose my rights to bear any weapons... Hard to deal with when I was a cop for a long time.

• HadIt.com Elder

Fight the incompetency if you don't win than at least get someone you can trust. A 50% rating with incompetency sounds very fishy.

Good Luck