VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ditto

• 7 months later...

Who wants to sit around some airport waiting for space available for hours if you are 100% disabled vet with mobility problems? If I were 25 years old and not traveling with a wife maybe it would not be so bad.

space a is hit and miss anyway. i wouldn't want to compound it by flying in my motorized wheelchair!

• 11 months later...

This is what I read

Retirees (meaning those with a blue DD Form 2 including medically-retired) are eligible for Space-A. Despite rumors to the contrary, 100 percent disabled veterans in possession of DD Form 1173 or DD Form 2765 (replaces the DD Form 1173) identification cards are NOT entitled to Space-A travel aboard DoD aircraft. If your ID card is brown and the bottom right says "DAVPRM" (Disabled Veteran Permanent) then there is no entitlement for Space-A travel. Any changes to Space-A eligibility rules will be published as an immediate change to DoD 4515.13r and advertised accordingly (Reiteration HQ AMC/DONP 091704z Mar 99 and Reference PASSENGER SERVICE UPDATE DTG: 261800Z OCT 01 para 1.H).

If it helps any, here's a small compilation of various efforts that folks have sent me that involve expanding the Space-A privilege to 100 Percent DAVs, widows, widowers, etc....

FY15 NDAA

FY12 NDAA

Bill S-1768

Bottom Line as of May 2015: Per AMC HQ, regarding H.R. 4435 Amendment 15 stating that 100% disabled veterans can fly Space-A, no guidance has been passed down to terminals to allow this. Until the DoD issues a memo incorporating any changes into DoD's Transportation Regulation 

http://www.spacea.net/faqs/spacea-eligibility

http://milvetstravel.net/dod.html

Further research

https://rules.house.gov/bill/113/hr-4435

http://amendments-rules.house.gov/amendments/BILIFL_019_xml516141039463946.pdf

Rules #1 Revised] AMENDMENT TO THE RULES COMMITTEE PRINT FOR H.R. 4435 OFFERED BY MR. BILIRAKIS OF FLORIDA At the end of subtitle C of title VI, add the following new section: 1 SEC. 6ll. TRANSPORTATION ON MILITARY AIRCRAFT ON 2 A SPACE-AVAILABLE BASIS FOR DISABLED 3 VETERANS WITH A SERVICE-CONNECTED, 4 PERMANENT DISABILITY RATED AS TOTAL. 5 (a) AVAILABILITY OF TRANSPORTATION.—Section 6 2641b of title 10, United States Code, is amended— 7 (1) by redesignating subsection (f) as sub- 8 section (g); and 9 (2) by inserting after subsection (e) the fol- 10 lowing new subsection (f): 11 ‘‘(f) SPECIAL PRIORITY FOR CERTAIN DISABLED 12 VETERANS.—(1) The Secretary of Defense shall provide, 13 at no additional cost to the Department of Defense and 14 with no aircraft modification, transportation on scheduled 15 and unscheduled military flights within the continental 16 United States and on scheduled overseas flights operated 17 by the Air Mobility Command on a space-available basis VerDate 0ct 09 2002 10:37 May 15, 2014 Jkt 000000 PO 00000 Frm 00001 Fmt 6652 Sfmt 6201 C:\USERS\GMKOSTKA\APPDATA\ROAMING\SOFTQUAD\XMETAL\7.0\GEN\C\BILIFL~1.XM May 15, 2014 (10:37 a.m.) F

les #1 Revised] 1 for any veteran with a service-connected, permanent dis- 2 ability rated as total. 3 ‘‘(2) Notwithstanding subsection (d)(1), in estab- 4 lishing space-available transportation priorities under the 5 travel program, the Secretary shall provide transportation 6 under paragraph (1) on the same basis as such transpor- 7 tation is provided to members of the armed forces entitled 8 to retired or retainer pay. 9 ‘‘(3) The requirement to provide transportation on 10 Department of Defense aircraft on a space-available basis 11 on the priority basis described in paragraph (2) to vet- 12 erans covered by this subsection applies whether or not 13 the travel program is established under this section. 14 ‘‘(4) In this subsection, the terms ‘veteran’ and ‘serv- 15 ice-connected’ have the meanings given those terms in sec- 16 tion 101 of title 38.’’. 17 (b) EFFECTIVE DATE.—Subsection (f) of section 18 2641b of title 10, United States Code, as added by sub- 19 section (a), shall take effect at the end of the 90-day pe- 20 riod beginning on the date of the enactment of this Act. ◊ VerDate 0ct 09 2002 10:37 May 15, 2014 Jkt 000000 PO 00000 Frm 00002 Fmt

-----------------

I copied and pasted this in case it disappears, I also saved it from the site.