Jump to content

Sponsored Ads

  • Latest Donations

  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • 0
ktm rider

Anyone Here Actually Rated More Than 0% For Hearing Loss?


My wife was sick and tired of repeating herself so she insisted I go to the VA. It was no secret that my hearing was bad. Failed tests at work every year. I worked on the flight deck of a carrier from 88'.-92'. SO I went.

I did some research online and it seems that a vet rated higher then 0% for hearing loss is as rare as hens teeth.

I was actually denied for my hearing even though I show hearing loss within the VA criteria. It seems that My exit hearing test in 1992 showed no hearing loss..... I don't recall taking an exit test.

Has anyone here actually been successful in claiming hearing loss and got a rating higher than 0%?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 1

My story.....

Entered with perfect hearing. Everything 0-15 for scores back in 1998.

Sustained a head injury 4 months later at basuc and was knocked unconscioys for several hours. Noticed constant loud ringing.

A year later had scores as high as 50 on my 1999 hearing test.

Fast forward to 2001 and my hearing for my infantry job had become a nightmare. My scores were now as high as 65 on my hearing test. The army gave me hearing aids at this time.

By 2004 my hearing scores touched 70 and my speech recognition test were in the 70s and 80s.

I was medically discarged with a lump sum seperation pay and then awarded 0% from the VA.

Five years later my hearing seemed worst and I notified the Va in 2009. I took new hearing test and my scores touched 75 with my speech recognition in the 70s.

I was awarded 20% for hearing loss from the VA. I then claimed tinitus and was awarded 10% for a total of 30%.

In 2011 my hearing seemed worst and I notified the VA. They re evaluated my hearing and saw my scores touched 80 and my speech recognition test showed scores in the 60s and 70s.

The VA gave me 30% for hearing loss plus my 10% tinitus for a total of 40%.

Fast forward to 2013 and my hearing test now show peaks of 85 around 6 months ago and speech recognition test in the 50s and 60s.

I'm expecting 40% for my hearing loss and 10% for my tinitus in 2014. Maybey more if they make me wait a year before the official c&p.

The thing is to just stay on top of it. If you have significant hearing loss to warrant a 0% rating then you better belieave your hearings gonna deteriate faster than people with normal hearing and before you know it you be getting compensation.

I'm 33. Id guess that by the time I'm 40 ill be at 50-70 percent compensation for my hearing loss and tinitus. Very likely 100% by 50 years old

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 1

Well, I see a problem. From my time helping Vets on hearing, I have spotted one thing. No matter how bad it gets, you'll never get to 100% unless you're stone deaf in both ears. Period. In fact, they usually don't begin handing out hearing ratings until you're toast in one ear already. They will not grant you a TDIU based on it being one of the major anchors (40% + other disabilities). Look at this one. http://asknod.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/fed-cir-geib-v-shinseki-youre-good-to-go-eddie/ Mr. Geib is 88 years old. Figure it out for yourself.

Adding up a bunch of 10%s and then coming up short of 100% and hoping for IU ain't gonna happen. Adding up a bunch of non-life threatening ratings that merely make life more challenging and finding work harder to obtain do not constitute IU. Filing for depression is not a guarantee of getting it either. You actually have to be depressed clinically and you have to prove it's related to the hearing. You also have to prove it is severe enough to be compensable. Three very big ifs. Hearing ratings are about the hardest to get because they focus on the lower frequencies which are the least affected by trauma. Typically, you lose the high end like I did from too many things going boom too close for too long. The VA wasn't born last night and unless you can show some continuity for the depression in your civvie medrecs before you filed, they are gonna cut you to ribbons on it like Zorro. Three I know filed for the depression, secondary to hearing. One was granted but got 100% for the depression. Hearing? 0% compensable. Two were denied based on a diagnosis well after the onset of hearing loss. VA feels you should get bummed out as soon as it becomes apparent. They think maybe you're trying to pad the old ratings percentage when you start piling them on. In addition, total, utter, complete deafness in both ears will get you $100 extra month on SMC K. If you are blowing smoke rings for ratings, trust me when I say hearing is the least lucrative of all the avenues to the end of the rainbow.

Just for the record here, I don't advocate anyone suggesting a fellow Vet should do the spaghetti on the wall trick and throw depression in if it isn't there. That is fraud. If Mr. Killemall has already filed for it and legitimately feels it is SC as a secondary, that is all well and fine but to suggest it out of the blue with no knowledge of his/her mental history is pointedly unethical and gives others the impression that maybe we all belong to the Safeway Slip on the Floor Club . That isn't advisable. This site has the absolute, unvarnished veneer of respectability and it is a hard reputation to attain. Keeping it so is equally difficult as many come here and form opinions based on what they read. I have learned over time that giving advice is like holding on to the wrong end of a double-edged sword.

Edited by asknod
  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Ktm rider

I should be 30% for HL as soon as the DRO review is complete. My hearing is extremely bad though My lowest DB loss is 50 and the best SRT is 72. There are several people on this site rated above 0% for HL.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I am rated at 10% HL and 10% tinnitus, but I had an awful fight for it.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

I was rated 0% even though I had severe loss in right ear, instead they gave me 10% for Tinnitus even though I did not ask for it. I was Aviation in the Navy and spent 5 years in OIF and OEF. I have a FDC claim in now to have it updated. I know how you feel, my wife watches TV at have the volume I do.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • OK so I had pancreatectomy in 2003 due to an impacted goldstone 2/3 of my  Pancreas was removed I am type one diabetes with very large scars continued diarrhea stomach problems Constant back and shoulder pain I recently received a Nexus letter from my  endocrinologist related to my service in the gulf war.  Any suggestions or advice from anyone
    • I would like to meet other Hadit members who live in Michigan.  We have at least two major VA Hospitals (Battle Creek, Ann Arbor).  Or maybe you go to the the John Dingell in Detroit.  

      I like Ann Arbor.  I like the fact that most of the doctors there are also at the UM Hospital.  I don't like how uickly they seem to turn over though.  
        • Like
      • 4 replies
    • Really?
      I am confused.  A few days ago I spoke to a person at a VARO who said if I die from something other than service-connected my husband gets zero, zilch, squat.  Hmmmmmm, it seems the rules change willy-nilly...I have been rated 100% P & T for over 10 years, MS is static, and I am 56 years of age.

      Can a fellow Veteran shed a light on this?

      Thank you.
        • Haha
      • 15 replies
    • Fund raising for HadIt.com
      The site is supported through ads and ad free subscriptions, we are also asking for any support you would like to send our way. You can give a $1 or more it all helps. Keep in mind though that it is NOT tax deductible and we are NOT a non profit. As the site grows so do the costs and ads and subscription do not always keep pace with the costs. Any help is appreciated, but not required.
      • 11 replies
    • Carol Ozanecki- Blue Water vet Advocate called me with this news:


      Also there is a article in Pop Culture she sent to me----mentionig Blue Water vets buy I felt it was too political to post here. You can google it if you want to read it.


      • 10 replies

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines