VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Is There Anything That Helps You Fall Asleep And Feel Safe.

Rate this question

WVSERVER

Question

Just wanted to know if anyone else out there has a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep. I wake up to sound that I know are nothing. I am always thinking that someone is going to break into my house so I am always preparing my mind to defend. My Doc has prescribed me some sleeping meds but I don't have the balls to take them, I am afraid they will kill me or the need will arise that I will need to defend my wife and kids an wont be able to wake up.

Also anyone else beside me wake up to loud sounds in your head, sound like two trash can lids banging together. This is the closest description that I could find http://www.sleepeducation.com/sleep-disorders-by-category/parasomnias/exploding-head-syndrome/overview-facts

I don't even like walking up to my own house I am always checking to make sure that no one is waiting for me I really wish I could shake this feeling I do feel better once I have checked.

Edited by WVSERVER

• HadIt.com Elder

we purchase a new well built mattress that helps 75% at least! & make sure all the Bills are paid round the first of the month that will make anyone sleep better.. :wink:

................Buck

I have major sleep problems also.Try not to take any benzodiazepines or ambien.Ambien is an evil sleep medication,and both are very addictive.My doc has me on trazodone,and its helping a great deal,it has helped with my nightmares also.Just letting you know what is working for me.

SSI, IU & K Bar within reach!

Semper Fi

Gastone

Sawed off double barrel 12 guage shotgun on the nightstand. S&W Model 19 357 (nickel) in the drawer next to the bed.

I too have a dog, however if you (anyone) throws him a doggie treat, well then that alarm is silent. There are good watchdogs out there and that would make a good freind for you also.

Truth, I do have the firearms as mentioned and more, however all unloaded as my grand-daughter visits time to time. But I can load them in the dark pretty fast.

Stay safe,

Hamslice

Also, my wife can here a mouse cross the driveway in the middle of the night, so I will have plenty of time...

I have considered a watch dog as my current dog does not even bark unless his food bowl is empty. I currently do receive mental health treatment once a week at my local VAMC. I do have a house alarm and firearms but I feel both can be defeated if someone is thinking like me. I have tried a few herbs but with limited success I will have to give the tea a try. Oiler1995 I have tried both benzo's and trazadone. The benzo were the devil and trazadone coupled with Zoloft made me have serotonin syndrome. broncovet I agree it more then not being able to sleep I am paranoid about most things that are in my life, I do not trust people what so ever at all. My wife is constantly getting after me because of the isolation. I deal with people all day at work when I am home I don't even want to hear about or see people outside of my wife and kids. It been getting really hard lately as working has become more difficult because of the way I feel around people. I have tried really hard to stay engaged but just going to Wal-Mart is very hard for me its everything I can do to get thru the store without having an outburst, between all the people and noises its more then I can take, especially loud noises for some reason if I am startled my first response is anger.

Hamslice you sound like me about the firearms I carry one everywhere I go and even inside my house if I am going in and out a lot.

Hopefully this is just a season as there are time when I do better and time I am worse I am just afraid that things will get worse and I will stay that way, so I am always trying to make things better.

Everyone thank you for your response I appreciate them more then you all know.

Go to the store in the vitamin aisle. Get a bottle of Melatonin. Melatonin is what your body naturally produces when you sleep. With insomnia problems, our bodies arent wanting to produce normal levels. Give it a boost with the Melatonin. It is a natural sleep, not a drugged up, coma like sleep that you get from prescription sleeping pills. If you need to wake up in an emergency, its no problem. Im guessing the trash can lids clanging are likely a sleep deprived hallucination. Give it a few nights of good rest on the Melatonin and I would bet that noise will go away.