VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

Rate this question

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

ArmyVet,

I"m kinda confused. if you have an award that proves combat exposure, or rather, the noise of combat. that should certainly be enough. if not, your MOS would suffice. For me being an aircraft maintainer was enough, 5.5 yrs of aircraft engine noise exposure sure did a number on me.

What was your MOS? Did you inform them at the time of your hearing test? Surprisingly enough, I've learned on here that many Vets have problems getting tinnitus SC'd.

• HadIt.com Elder

if test show no hearing loss they usually deny the tinnitus, but not always.

get your reason and bases for what ever they rate you? if your denied File NOD,you have a year to get a IMO with a credited certified audiologist but make sure they use the VA guidelines for the test and the Maryland CNC word discrimination speech test.

CIB is a good thing to have on your DD 214, But if you show no hearing loss there's not anything to SERVICE CONNECT?

....JMO

.....................Buck

I got my denial letter in the mail today. I don't think my va hearing exam was included in the evidence for the rater because the date of the hearing exam was so close to the date of the rating decision. My va hearing test I saw in my health record showed normal to mild sensorineural hearing loss, and the speech testing showed 20 for speech recognition threshold, 100 for speech discrimination score, and 60 for presentation level.

On Thursday, July 16, 2015 at 0:40 PM, ArmyVet97B said:

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

Just take test and be honest. There is no "help" on how to get 10%. 

Tinnitus isn't something tangible, like hearing loss, it's noise inside your head due to damaged nerves in your inner ear.  So it's like the ghost sounds of something no longer there, like a phantom itch of an amputated digit or extremity. It really will depend on what your MOS was, to verify noise exposure, or combat experience, where you were exposed to gunfire or artillery, or even IEDs going off.  It can be cumulative from constant exposure, or from a one time even...like working around aircraft or artillery, or a single IED blast. 

And pretty much 10% is all they ever give for that.

• HadIt.com Elder

There is no testing for tinnitus at present, & you need to let them know this is  a'' constant sound,'' (ringing in your ears)   Tinnitus can occur without hearing loss.

a person with tinnitus are the only ones that suffer from it (hear it) =  ringing in the ears, hi-wire hum sounds, crickett sounds, ect,,ect,, several other sounds in the inner head.

When you go for a VA Hearing Test rather or not you show a hearing loss   you need to let them know about the ringing in your ears  and it's a constant sound  & it about drives you crazy  ect,,,ect,,,

Hearing loss is hard to get a rating for unless your almost deaf, I believe a lot of it is how the audiologist conducts the test, usually if it takes a while for the test  say about an hour or so  its usually in your favor(not to say hearing loss is a good thing) but for rating purposes.

A good Audiologist will take his/her time when conducting the test & the Maryland CNC word testing and take the time to write the #s down and correspond to the rate table  to figure out the accuracy of your hearing test/loss   and that takes time.

you need to be comfortable while taking the test  and in my opinion a good Audiologist will make sure you are and that you hear his/her instruction before the test begins.

jmo

.....................Buck