VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

Rate this question

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

• HadIt.com Elder

Also what Andyman mention about your MOS is important...LOUD SUDDEN SOUNDS can cause what they call NOISE INDUCED HEARING LOSS, and it happens when the unprotected ears are subject to these loud sudden sounds, it damages the little fine hairs in the inner ear(the fine hairs vibrates  that is how we hear), when those tiny hairs are damaged   then hearing loss occurs and it happens over years as you lose your hearing. They call this Noise Induced Hearing loss.

Depends on the degree  of the hearing loss as to how they rate it.

Even if you were not hard of hearing after you got out of the military  Noise Induced Hearing loss can occur years after you heard those loud sounds....but at the time of the sounds is when the damage was done....everyone is different but this is usually the case  so-to-speak

jmo

..............Buck

Edited by Buck52

Right, what Buck said.  For me, in particular, since I was a Marines Air Wing maintenance type, the exposure to aircraft engines over 5.5 years based on my MOS cemented my claim for tinnitus. 

(I apologize if this posts more than once, turns out I  wasn't signed in the first time)

I just had my C&P on 8/5. The doctor at Wilkes-Barre was very professional and courteous. She did ask me about my occupations since I left the Navy in '93, and about my hobbies. I made sure not to mention my motorcycle riding, although my bikes aren't that loud. And I really haven't been exposed to much noise as a civilian, no concerts, not hunting, nor loud stuff at work. I've had ringing in my ears since probably before I was discharged, really loud in the past few years. I talked about not being able to hear conversations in crowded rooms, and the doctor explained that this is due to my loss of high frequency hearing.

There's nothing in my service medical record, and only one referral to VA audiology back on 3/2015, where the audiologist discussed ways to deal with tinnitus.

I submitted a copy of my DD-214 documenting my almost 7 years as an O-Level tech on F-14 aircraft, as well as my service at sea on the flight deck, in and out of combat. I also went back and included a copy of the write-up from that VA appointment in 2015.

We'll see what happens. I'm at 90% for a few other things and it would be nice to get the other 10%. I also have an appeal pending for a denial of increase, plus service connection for a shoulder condition, first documented while on active duty and two surgeries in non-VA facilities since discharge. Just trying to cover all of the bases. Yeah, I know, "Don't hold your breath."

I just found this page yesterday, and I think it's a great resource as well as a place where maybe I can help someone else.

Lots of posts in this topic and I don't know if someone gave this link or not:

http://community.hadit.com/topic/40962-va-fl-10-35/

It shows how the VA adjudicates these claims ragarding a vet's MOS etc and hopefully someone has posted the MOS lists for each branch, here somewhere ,  that reveal what occupation is low level exposure, to moderate, to high level exposure to acoutical trauma.

Vets who never were issued any preventive acoustical trauma hearing gear, yet had an MOS consistent with high levels of noise should make sure VA knows they did not receive protective ear gear.

With any MOS that falls into a potential HL or tinnitus classification, the VA is often hard pressed to deny the claim, unless you had a Heavy Metal Band after service or worked, post service, in any occupation

that could also have caused the HL/tinnitus.