VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

Rate this question

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

New Meat, Boots and VA SC Claims. There is no such thing as a "Stupid Question" post. If your not sure, ask the question, another Vet will point you in the right direction.

Hadit is a Vet helping other Vets site. New members not making the mistakes Senior members made, is what it's all about.

Semper Fi

Gastone

So 1) my lay statement of recurrent ringing in both of my ears that has affected my daily life, even though the ringing started after my separation from the army, 2) the ringing is from artillery, gunfire, and ied blasts, while in oef, and 3) the service connection coming from my combat in oef with proof on dd214 of oef and my combat action ribbon.....it sounds like I have a solid/pretty much guaranteed tinnitus claim of 10%.

Because my understanding is that the thing that gets most vets denied is the service connection part.....and in my case with tinnitus, according to U.S. code title 38, 1154 (b), my combat in oef will give me the service connection?

Not sure if it helped my tinnitus claim or not, but after a while of not hearing anything from the VA after filing my claim in 2010, I went ahead and obtained an IME/IMO from a private audiologist. It was a 30 minute drive, and cost me $40, but may well have helped tip over the tinnitus from 0 to 10%. The VA finally scheduled a C&P for the tinnitus and hearing loss claims a year or so later, and remarked many of the same findings in my private IMO. Also received 0% for hearing loss-left ear.

I am beginning to think that private IME's and IMO's may not "decide" cases up front, but definintely wake up the VA into scheduling you for one of their own C&P examinations, and "hopefully" are good trump cards if the VA examiner gives a lesser or reverse medical opinion during the rating process......hopefully.

Mark

• HadIt.com Elder

I Don't think the VA examiners will ask about if you have tinnitus or not? some Docs will some won't!!!

Usually the Audiologist will do the hearing test but fails to ask the veteran if he has a ringing in his ears or sounds of a humm or crickets chirping sounds!

The Veteran needs to state this even to a private Audiologist, so the Dr can put into his report/opinion that Veteran states he hears a ringing chirping sounds in his ears which he states are constant sounds...which is known medically as Tinnitus.

which is consistent to noise induced hearing loss and in my opinion occurred from loud noise exposure as least likely as not while in the military.

or something similar.

.............Buck

Edited by Buck52