VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How Is Tinnitus Tested By The Va For Compensation Purposes?

Rate this question

ArmyVet97B

Question

I am trying to understand how I will be tested for tinnitus by the VA. I have a pending compensation claim for hearing loss and tinnitus (and a couple other things) that is in stage 5 (preparation for decision). I am now awaiting a C&P exam (I believe). I am already S/C for shoulder and lower back (20% total). How is tinnitus tested by the VA to receive the 10% rating? I served in OEF and have a Combat Action Badge (all on my DD214). I have hearing loss, but what happens if I pass as “normal” for hearing loss. I have occasional ringing in both ears from OEF (artillery/heavy machine guns/IED’s), and it has gotten worse over time. My tinnitus came later after I had separated from the US Army. I am trying to understand how I am tested for tinnitus to received the 10%, even if I get 0% for hearing loss (which I have heard is very difficult to get above 0% for hearing loss). With my claim I submitted my civilian primary care physician’s professional opinion that I could definitely have/probably do have hearing loss and tinnitus from combat. I have read/heard differing opinions, and I am just trying to find a straight answer to how tinnitus is tested for by the VA (since I see that some vets get 0% for hearing loss, but 10% for tinnitus). And what are my chances of getting the 10% for tinnitus even if I get 0% for hearing loss? Great, good, not good, etc? Please help. Thank you.

On 8/15/2016 at 3:35 AM, nlualum82 said:

I once met a rep who believed that 20% was fair for ANY hearing loss, so the people who trusted him were getting a 20% rating because that's what he requested in the paperwork he submitted.

The rater is the person that decides the rating based on the VA regulations. It's not based on a rep's belief.

Also, I believe I read from moderators on this forum that VA hearing loss is difficult to get unless you are almost deaf.

I'm mentioning this because it sounds like you are saying something contrary.

I, too, have Tinnitus. I have my rating at 10% Tinnitus and 0% bilateral hearing loss (SC). I was in Field artillery from 1982 - 1986. We just had the mandatory orange 3 flange plastic hearing protection aids.  Didn´t help much.

The ringing is 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. It wakes me up every morning, around 3 or 4 AM.  It gets louder, the older you get.  I thought that it was just a symptom of getting older.  I have had it for over 30 years now.

I went to a German ENT doctor and they have a test for Tinnitus. After the first test, where you have to try and find the frequency of the tinnitus noise, when it was finished, I thought that they had "cured" the tinnitus.  Really, the tinnitus noise was gone, for about 4 or 5 seconds - then it came back.

I did have to go to another C&P for a hearing test. My ENT did not have the Maryland speech test.  He was a german audiologist tho (The C&P).

I have the Resound hearing aids (being fitted for them now) and they have a tinnitus mask built in. They are the In The Canal ITC. I have to wear them at night, when I sleep. It doesn´t cure the tinnitus, just distracts your brain from the tinnitus sounds with a white noise. It has helped me get a decent nights sleep, once in a while.

There is a fast letter that lists all the service branches MOS and the probability that you could have incurred tinnitus. Mine was High probable. I have read that a high probable or moderate probable qualifies.

It is hard to get a hearing SC loss. Since last year, I have been tested, and my ENT has prescribed me hearing aids. The loss is in the tinnitus range. A suggestion from me - when you take the Maryland speech test, dont guess at the words.

Without having noted hearing loss in your SMR, it really depends on your MOS based exposure risk. Mine was pretty high due to being in aircraft maintenance. 

12 hours ago, mrmark1999 said:

on the fast letter they didn't even have my MOS listed USMC 2542 Communications center Operator now what how do i find out weather its hi  mod or low 

Did you make any complaint of ringing in your ears at all, while in?  Or did you serve in any location where you would have been exposed to gunfire, or arty, or explosions?  If so, that may be a way to link your tinnitus to service.

Update: I received a medical opinion grom a doctor that states my tinnitus is likely from my military service, but with no rationale for the delayed onset of tinnitus. Is there any medical documentation out there the doctor can reference that supports the delayed onset of tinnitus?