Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

armyvet89

Question

Okay so I have a DX for OSA but the doc said that she wouldn't write a letter for me because she feels that osa isn't linked/caused by ptsd. I told her that it is aggravated by ptsd. I showed several successful VBA decisions granting SC for OSAMA secondary to PTSD. She did tell me that she would fill out the DBQ. 

So here's my question. I have reported several different time that I have/had trouble sleeping and it's in my records. I had a surgery where the surgeon told me to get checked for SA because I stopped breathing. All of this was while in service. I have a buddy statement from a guy I roomed with in Iraq and my wife is going to write a letter too. Without the nexus letter from the doc is it possible to get OSA secondary to PTSD? Thanks. 

Edited by armyvet89
Typo

I used a private doctor to fill out my DBQ and write a nexus letter for me.  I was granted
"Service connection for sleep apnea has been established as related to the service-connected disability of posttraumatic stress disorder."

My VA psych wouldn't write a nexus letter or DBQ because he said that he didn't believe that OSA was connected with PTSD at all... that's when I went to a private sleep doctor under my own insurance.

To answer your question, I think it will be very hard to be granted service connection for OSA secondary to PTSD without a nexus letter or a positive DBQ.

Good luck with your claim! 

• HadIt.com Elder

Well most of us PTSD Veterans can't afford a private Dr  to write his/her opine to the S.A. being secondary to PTSD or from the medications. 

Most of us don't have private Insurance as we just use the VA for our health care and my VA Dr won't fill out the DBO or a letter to connect the two

How much did it cost you for the private Dr to write this nexus for you? if you don't mind telling me   or how much did your insurance pay and how much did you have to pay out of pocket.

if you don't mind telling us?

This is the PROBLEM for most of us PTSD Veterans.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

34 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Well most of us PTSD Veterans can't afford a private Dr  to write his/her opine to the S.A. being secondary to PTSD or from the medications. 

Most of us don't have private Insurance as we just use the VA for our health care and my VA Dr won't fill out the DBO or a letter to connect the two

How much did it cost you for the private Dr to write this nexus for you? if you don't mind telling me   or how much did your insurance pay and how much did you have to pay out of pocket.

if you don't mind telling us?

This is the PROBLEM for most of us PTSD Veterans.

I agree with you and that why I put the big word if, I am luckier than most since I am retired from the army and can use a private doctor through and have my insurance pay for it. Each session with my doctor cost me $25 for the co-pay. But my psychiatrist charges me $30 to write a nexus or fill out any forms. I offer to pay my psychologist but he refuses to take my money and he does it for  free. I know this put a lot of veterans in a bind when they have to depend on The VA system to only have them refuse to help you with you claim. I think it is still worth mentioning just in case the Veteran does have that option.

Edited by wablackwell

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand & good information

I just figured the cost would be a lot more than that.

Maybe some of us should shop around for a good Phyistrist and ask about the cost before we jump into it.

Most Private Phyistrist   are just to busy usually to give us the time of day.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Actually I save Aluminium cans and crush and wait until they get to a decent price to sell..

I have about 300 lbs save up so for  but right now at 45cents a lb is not a good time to sell..I am waiting for the price to go on up to around 70 cent lb or more.

if I can rake up the $$ for a private psychiatrist to write me a good nexus  that's what I'll do.

I have been diagnose by VA for S.A. and using a CPAP but my problems is I don't have any past military connection to S.A.   However I have a 70% SC Rating for PTSD. 

and a 100% SC rating for another SC Disability  and getting SMC-S1 but it takes it all to pay the Bills.