VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

FDC 4 TDIU is C&P exam necessary

Rate this question

Amazing Becky

Question

The Baltimore RO received my IU claim on 04/30/2019. It’s is an FDC and includes a DBQ from my therapist. Will I still need a c&p exam?The last one was done in 2016 and it was brutal. I’m hoping to avoid a repeat. Right now my claim is in Initial review. Has anyone had a claim that jumped from the Initial Review to Prep for Decision approval and how long did the whole process take?

@GeekySquid I got a phone call today to set up the C&P exam for this Thursday. Do you know if a TDIU C&P is the same as a regular one? Last time I went to the VA and had it done, but this time it’s with a contractor....not sure what to expect. I know that she will probably review the DBQ my therapist filled out and I hope it helps.

1 minute ago, Amazing Becky said:

Do you know if a TDIU C&P is the same as a regular one?

@Amazing Becky

There is no specific DBQ it is an inferred condition that the VA has to look into unless you specifically put in for a claim for TDIU. The issues underlying your employability issue is what they will look at and order an exam for.

When you call to confirm the appointment ask what it is for. They really do have to tell you though LHI tried to refuse me once. I canceled their appointment and go rescheduled at QTC.

This link is for ALL the DBQ's the VA has and it is by condition

https://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/dbq_ListBySymptom.asp

Since your are PTSD in your profile, and I don't see or remember you saying you had other claims (sorry I barely remember my own) right off the bat, I would think what they are doing is a PTSD review C&P which is a specific DBQ. It is slightly different than the Original DBQ C&P you did, but not much.

They are looking to see if you got worse.

My suggestion to you is to look at your last/original award decision and see what they listed, then I would look at the C&P results in your C-file. read the notes.

I am not suggesting you lie here, but if any of those things are worse now, I would suggest you make sure you share that with the C&P doc.

For instance my PTSD has always made me "see" burned and charred body parts. I always have known they were not real, they don't talk, they just exist over the left should of every person I speak to face to face. They don't wave or do much, just hang out. I know what they are from, but I don't know why my mind won't let them go. Basically I have had my own bloody version of Pokemon Go happening for 30 years.

on my review PTSD C&P I had progressed from seeing one to seeing two each and every time with each and every person. I am assuming that twice the Pokemon' s is a bad thing in their minds and they bumped me to 100% P&T.

If you are nuts enough they may bump you up. If however things have gotten better for you, they may seek to reduce your rating. Very few people ever have their PTSD "get better", but you might be one of the few.

@GeekySquid thanks for the advice. I have a copy of my original C&P exam and I will look it over. I have gotten much worse and my VA medical records show that to be the case. On my original claim the doctor didn’t put down the correct answers to some of the questions I was asked. If she had, I would have stayed at 100% instead of being downgraded. I’m concerned about this happening again and losing the 70% I do have.

28 minutes ago, Amazing Becky said:

have gotten much worse and my VA medical records show that to be the case.

@Amazing Becky

I always suggest people always be 100% honest in dealing with the VA. That said, never tell the VA "i'm doing fine" or "okay". They try to use typical social politeness as an excuse to try and downgrade a veterans rating.

Do you have ALL the C&P DBQ's you have taken? if so good, if not run to the RO and submit a FOIA for them. Also get the letter from VA to the C&P provider asking for the C&P. It may contain hints as to what the VA is expecting.

I am not going to read back all the pages in this thread, but if I remember right you were 100 for 5 months based on private mental health dbq and then dumped back to 70 by VA C&P. I would look at all of that info and the rating table.

PTSD is a really messed up condition and many of us after years of counseling are still worse off than when we started. As another poster once said, we have bent brains. I fit that description, others are offended. oh well. being offended is a them problem not a me problem.

If as I suspect this is a PTSD Review exam (call and ask) a bump up is possible with your worsening condition.

A note on TDIU and Schedular ratings. VA has a duty to maximize your benefits. If there is a chance you are near the schedular they will bump you there instead of TDIU. Since you are at 70 that is the only bump up they can do. Just carefully check your actual symptoms against the ratings criteria table. They don't have to be an exact match, hell I have a two page list under my PTSD rating decision, up from a page and a half and many are just analogous to what is in the table which is fine under the law.

if you have depression adn it is worse now, say so. if you have anxiety and it is worse now say so.

if you have emotional swings say so and describe the length of the swing. For example with my condition my "normal" or "baseline" emotional state is anxious and depressed. a really really really good day for me is if I don't expose that to others. A really low day is if it all seems to be worthless and a waste of my time. That is a broad arch. and yes they always ask about suicide and the answer is always no I am not talking about that or thinking about it. I know it is just my depression. This is part of Bipolar 2 condition which I am rated for; thank you US Navy.

be honest and let them know how you are, but never say you are having a good or great day or that you are okay, stuff like that. It will only be used against you by the VA. Always tell them about your "worst day" any time you are asked "how are you" by a C&P or shrink. even your PC at VA could harm you if they note you are happy on a given day.

good luck and let us know what happens

Edited by GeekySquid