VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When it rains, it pours ... Adventures of Tbird

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I maybe a bit slow to respond, but I am here. I just wanted to catch you up what's going on in my world. Life is kind of sucking, but the bright spots are you guys and all my nieces and nephews. Working hard to get back to 100%. It is very stressful.

So last year I had to move out of my house into my nephews house because living alone was not working for me. Rented my house out and moved into my nephews, then I screwed up my knee and can't do the basement stairs at my nephews house, so I had to move to my sisters house. Waiting for an appointment with Ortho the soonest they can see me is June 17 I asked to be sent into the community and they approved it but haven't heard back from them with a appointment. So now I got to get rid of my house because I can't afford it and rent at my sisters. My knee aches all the time and I am using a walker it's a real drag. Doc thinks I may have torn my meniscus but won't know anything to Ortho see me. I also have lymphedema and my legs are swelling something awful which aggravates the knee. I went for an eval for a power wheelchair or a scooter and I am waiting for their response.

• HadIt.com Elder

GB Army  if I have to go to another VAMC for anything...I wait about 2 hours and go ask for my records for what  I just had done....

I used another VAMC one time about 400 miles away from home  we were visiting my son and daughter-law and grandbabies out in west Tx Midland  and the closes VAMC is Big Spring Tx 

I had to go to it while we were there visiting...anyway I waited about 2 hours after this VA Doc seen me and I went and requested my medical records that I just had seen the Dr..I live out of town and this visit  was unexpected ,  anyway  the ROMR(Release of Medical Records )Manager got me those records...I took them back to my VAMC  where they entered them in my Home VAMC...I Advise all Veterans do this.

and keep copies for your self.

Buck- I WISH vets could get CHAMPVA, but Tbird is a service connected veteran. CHAMPVA is just for their dependents.

You all know that recently the President bolstered the Choice Program up to what it should be.

I agree with what you said here-"You being a 100% veteran  the VA should put you in a nice electric motorized wheel chair...if your VA Dr will write you up a good detail letter  saying it will reduce your pain and make things a lot easier for you to get around  VA Should cover the total price of the chair  and bring it out to your house...raise hell with them if you have to   Your VA" etc. 

And of course the White House Vets Hot line might be of some help here.1-855-948-2311

I regret you are dealing with so much.But glad you have that Appt.

1 hour ago, Tbird said:

I qualified for a HISA grant for roll in shower, but can't do steps and the HISA grant was going to be enough for a walk in shower and but not enough to do something with the stairs.

I am glad you got the grant for at least the shower.

Have you considered reaching out to Paralyzed Veterans or Habitat? I think they both have community resources for that type of thing...adding a ramp to a house I mean.

it sounds like your family is supportive and your niece a real gem.

The community care seems to be tailor made for vets situated like yourself.

I hope everything works out so you can stay in your home.

1 hour ago, Tbird said:

I'm going to try and find a way to set up my computer rig so I can sit in a recliner with my legs up

something like this might be what you are looking for

https://www.amazon.com/Vive-Overbed-Table-Adjustable-Breakfast/dp/B01577US8Y/ref=sr_1_13?crid=2J2ETZS1AV2HD&keywords=hospital+bed+table&qid=1560598961&s=gateway&sprefix=hospital+bed+ta%2Caps%2C239&sr=8-13

1 hour ago, GBArmy said:

He did say that there is a round-about way for one system to get info from another, but most doctors/techs don't either know about it or don't use it.

one way they can do it is through a VA application called the Joint Legacy Viewer. All VA's have access to it and your VA PC can get it.

It literally looks at every VA hospital system, DOD, etc.