VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

When it rains, it pours ... Adventures of Tbird

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

I maybe a bit slow to respond, but I am here. I just wanted to catch you up what's going on in my world. Life is kind of sucking, but the bright spots are you guys and all my nieces and nephews. Working hard to get back to 100%. It is very stressful.

So last year I had to move out of my house into my nephews house because living alone was not working for me. Rented my house out and moved into my nephews, then I screwed up my knee and can't do the basement stairs at my nephews house, so I had to move to my sisters house. Waiting for an appointment with Ortho the soonest they can see me is June 17 I asked to be sent into the community and they approved it but haven't heard back from them with a appointment. So now I got to get rid of my house because I can't afford it and rent at my sisters. My knee aches all the time and I am using a walker it's a real drag. Doc thinks I may have torn my meniscus but won't know anything to Ortho see me. I also have lymphedema and my legs are swelling something awful which aggravates the knee. I went for an eval for a power wheelchair or a scooter and I am waiting for their response.

On 6/7/2019 at 10:43 AM, GeekySquid said:

@Tbird

I am curious, aren't you eligible to have the VA grant repairs to your house for you to stay in it? maybe get Aid and Assistance? either way I hope you get this straightened out soon!

Sounds like you are, apply for it.

Meniscus oh I have that problem too.

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms T

Go see  your VA hospital director  ...if he /she is  a good one they will cut some red tape for you....they can have the persons that call out the outside providers and have the outside providers call you...this is how they did it for me about sleep study  the VA was booked up 4 months before they could give me a sleep study  due the the Prescribe VA Med's I was taking., the VA Called me and said an outside provider will be calling me to set up an appointment  and this was done within a week after I seen the hospital director.

Do this in person & also ask for a scooter or  motorized wheel chair in which you need to get around  they should provide that for you as well,,,your a 100% veterans and there should be no complications in doing this process for you..  SO YOU MEET THE MISSION ACT CRITERIA.

Now that the Mission act has passed (6//6/ 2019 I see no reason for any hold up.or delay in getting you seen for your bad knees

also you should call the  Washington Hotline # IF NO ACTIONS IS TAKEN PLACE WITHIN A FEW DAYS  LIKE  VA  PHONE CALLS BACK TO YOU.

Our Prayers are sent your way asking the almighty to give you strength to get through all this mentally and physically.

God Bless you Ms Tbird

• Founder

@GeekySquid I qualified for a HISA grant for roll in shower, but can't do steps and the HISA grant was going to be enough for a walk in shower and but not enough to do something with the stairs. Now I don't want to use my HISA till I know where I'm going to end up, I'm at my sisters for awhile. 

I did call the Social Worker the other day and they are going to send someone out to check out anything they might be able to do and also evaluate me for home health aide or whatever it's called. I'm pre 9/11 so I don't qualify for the caregiver program, though my niece acts as my caregiver and she is very protective of me. My niece does so much for me she takes care of my day to day life so I just focus on the site. The website takes a lot of brain power so I focus on that and she makes sure the rest of my life runs smoothly.

The VA did approve for community care for my knee so I see an ortho surgeon the 24th, it's very close to where I live so that is a great relief, they are moving my primary care to the VA closer to me.

The psych doc added Abilify to my regiment for a few months and it seems to be helping.

• Founder

@Buck52 I applied for the scooter but they turned me down. I asked if I could appeal and he told me after I see the ortho surgeon if he thinks it will help I can ask him to give a more detailed reason why I need one and reapply.!I looked at purchasing out of pocket, but my pockets are empty and it's a big expense, I'm hopeful they can fix my knee and I should be good in 6 - 12 months, but I don't really know. The lymphedema in my legs causing a lot swelling and it makes it hard to get around. The VA gave me compression wraps and a compression machine and I have a brace for my knee, but damn I'm tire of everything being compressed.

I'm going to try and find a way to set up my computer rig so I can sit in a recliner with my legs up and use the compression machine while I work. I haven't found anything yet, but I am still looking.

Thank you all for caring it means a lot to me!

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi TBird Glad to see you are going to get that ortho finally; no fun waiting in any kind of pain. One word of caution for you and anyone who changes VAMC. 4 years ago I had a kidney stone attack and instead of going to my regular VA on a weekend, I went to one across the state line which actually was shorter and quicker. The next week I went in for a regular procedure and they needed to do a blood sample. I asked why not use what I just did and they said there wasn't anything in the system. Why??? Because two different VAMC are not connected; many records are not available. Wow! Can you imagine how dangerous that is? I asked a doctor about it and he confirmed. He did say that there is a round-about way for one system to get info from another, but most doctors/techs don't either know about it or don't use it. You have to be able to tell them all the facts and they can eventually get your data. Lesson learned: I only go to one VA if at all possible. That is one reason why the new VA IT system is going to cost a gazillion dollars. So really check it out if you move.

• HadIt.com Elder

I hear ya Ms T  ask the Dr to refer you a electric motorize wheel chair that you sure could use it to get around and especially having to go grocery shopping. the VA has BOO-COOS of thosein stock

If you get ChampVA call Glenn Johnson and see if ChampVA can help get you one   we did for my spouse  she got a letter from her Dr stating she needed one  and would help her tremendously for her pain...at first the PLACE WERE WE GOT IT GAVE US SOME PROBLEMS the chair was 2.200.00 and they wanted us to pay 900.00 of the 2,200,00-   that all ChampVA would pay was the difference..they  lied we called Glenns office and he called that store  or someone from his office did  and the store called and said they will be bringing out the wheel chair  that ChampVA paid it.....the allotment on the chair was enough for ChampVA to cover  the total price  the store was going to get the extra 900.00 from us  but it back fired on them.

You being a 100% veteran  the VA should put you in a nice electric motorized wheel chair...if your VA Dr will write you up a good detail letter  saying it will reduce your pain and make things a lot easier for you to get around  VA Should cover the total price of the chair  and bring it out to your house...raise hell with them if you have to   Your VA Hospital Director should pull some strings...we have a GREAT Hospital Director here in Dallas   Stephen Holt  he is a MD and also a Veteran himself....he helps us vets that are in need.  hopefully your director will too.

Also Ms T   you might check out the small 14.5 screen size lap tops  they weigh about 1 1.2 lbs and is eazy  to use in your lap  mine is a  ThinkPad  touch screen   or you can turn the touch screen off and use a disgital mouse   it has 1GB Memory and 8G'S Processor  it was fairly cheap  at Fry's electronics at 599.00 normally around 899.00 it is fast and uses Microsoft 10...google chrome works very well..I use it sitting in my recliner and have a tv tray I sit it on and have note pads and pens beside me to take notes   #'s   ect, ect,, I can lean back and keep my legs  in an upright position to keep my legs and feet from swelling...

I use it 10/12 hours  daily.

Hope your knees and legs start to feel better soon

God Bless