Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Service Disabled Veterans Insurance

Rate this question

paulstrgn

Question

I am 100% P&T. I have called the toll free number for the VA life insurance and have been given conflicting information. The first person I spoke to said I am not eligible to apply for the waiver of premiums on a $10,000 life policy because I am working, the second person said I need to apply for the waiver and see what they say. He said I may or may not be given the waiver, he said you won't know until you apply.

Does anyone have the SDVI for $10,000 and is employed get the premiums waived? I only want to apply if the premiums will be waived. I am also under 65 and it has been less than 2 years since my last new disability.

Thanks

I am not an attorney or an a credited VA rep. These are my personal opinions and experiences, always remember what worked for me may not work for you.

You as the veteran are your own best advocate and no one knows your disabilities better than you. It is highly recommended that you as the veteran research and verify that any opinion given meets your specific situation.

8 hours ago, Hamslice said:

I called the VA life insurance and the lady said I did not qualify because I could work.

How did you find the number to call?  I must have lost the cover letter to the S-DVI form I just received.

I receive SSDI, due to SC conditions. I don't have TDIU, yet.

Edited by Rivet62

80% combined (rounded).  82% actual.

70% - Major depressive disorder with anxious distress (claimed depression), Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Degenerative disc disease thoracolumbar spine, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Radiculopathy, left lower extremity, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Sciatic nerve radiculopathy right lower extremity, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:26/02/2020
10% - Bilateral temporomandibular joint syndrome (claimed TMJ), Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
10% - Tinnitus, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
0% - Right ear hearing loss, Service-connected disability? Yes. Effective date:19/08/2016
Left ear hearing loss, Service-connected disability? No
Cognitive impairment (claimed due to major depressive disorder), Service-connected disability? No

3 hours ago, Rivet62 said:

How did you find the number to call?  I must have lost the cover letter to the S-DVI form I just received.

I receive SSDI, due to SC conditions. I don't have TDIU, yet.

Support for VALI, S-DVI, and VMLI:  800-669-8477

That's the number I called,

Hamslice

https://www.va.gov/life-insurance/?postLogin=true

Edited by Hamslice
cause I can

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday 

22 hours ago, Hamslice said:

My case is a bit different.

I am 100P&T and I do not work because I don't have to.  I have nothing from any doctor saying I can not work.

I called the VA life insurance and the lady said I did not qualify because I could work.

After I seen this topic here, I decided to fill out the form and send it in.  It has a spot for you current doctor, which I put my current VA doctor.  It has a one line where you enter what condition prevents you from working.  I put "totality of my VA disabiilities".  As for records, I put see my VA doctor.

LOL,  so in theory, the VA insurance people should be contacting my VA doctor to see if I am unemployable, and also try and get my VA medical records.

Bottom line is I say I can't work, and the VA says I can work, without any exam to say otherwise.

Been 3 months,

Hamslice

I have been paying for the 10K for over 10 years.

If you're 100% P&T and you are not working, I don't see how they can just assume you could work. That just doesn't seem right. 

100% P&T gets your student loans wiped out but it doesn't qualify you for the insurance waiver? 

I applied for and was approved for FERS disability retirement from a federal job and I think I sent a copy of that approval letter with my waiver application and it was approved. Approval for FERS disability retirement doesn't even mean I can't be gainfully employed. I can work as long as I don't make more that 79% of my previous federal salary. 

well i have an update!

i submited my waiver yesterday...they emailed me this morning!

here is what they said:

This letter concerns your Service-Disabled Veterans Life Insurance coverage.

We Made a Decision

We did not approve your formal application for waiver of premiums.

Legal References Impacting Our Decision
•       38 U.S.C. § 1912 - Total disability waiver
•       38 CFR § 8.2 - Payment of premiums
•       38 CFR § 8.17 - Discontinuance of premium waiver
Evidence Considered

In making our decision, we considered the following evidence:

•       Application for Disability Insurance Benefits dated 01/20/2022
•       SDVI Application dated 06/05/2021
•       Medical Records dated 04/20/2021 Salem VAMC
•       Medical Records dated 05/19/2021 Salem VAMC
•       Medical Records dated 07/02/2021
•       Medical Records dated 07/23/2021 Compensation & Pension Exam Medical Opinion
•       Medical Records dated 01/20/2022

Waiver of premiums is not based solely on your service-connected rating. 
One of the requirements for granting waiver of premium is that total disability must continue for at least six consecutive months. 
Total disability is defined as any impairment of mind or body which continuously prevents the insured from engaging in a substantially gainful occupation. 

We cannot consider you as totally disabled because you are able to maintain a full-time job.
This decision does not affect your right to file a claim for Disability Insurance Benefits for any future total disability which will meet the requirements of the law. 

so time for appeal! here we go @Vync