Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Boot Camp Records of Injuries and Fatalities

Rate this question

DDP

Question

I am trying to get records from 40+ years ago in support of my claim.  Recently, I was advised to include "Boot Camp" events.  There were several major events and at least one ended in the suicide of a recruit.  It bothers me that I do not remember the names of these two recruits.   I have contacted AFME (Armed Forces Medical Examiner), however, they did not come into existence until 1986, after the fact.  I have also contacted Hq Marine Corps, no luck.  I then contacted MCMA (Marine Corps Mortuary Affairs).  MCMA is looking, however, because I do not have a name and it has been so long, they are supposedly going through a list of over 300 names.  I have been looking through old newspaper articles, google searches, recently joined Together We Served, etc., etc., nothing so far.

Why did I list all of this?  I know how busy folks are and DO NOT want to take time away from anyone.  Therefore, I wanted to list some of the avenues I have taken.  I am not asking anybody to do the leg work.  I have always been my own advocate.    

I really appreciate any advise.  Perhaps there is something I have missed.

Thank you,

Drehne

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

DDP There isn't going to be any magic bullet, but I admire your attitude. Here's a spit ball for you. You might not remember the names of the other recruits, but somebody in the training company does. Try to get the training company's training roster with all the names listed. Obviously not graduation, but rosters. Maybe the JAG office can tell you were their records went. Then start targeting those names. Maybe, if you haven't done so yet, put ads in the VFW, DAV's,  etc. monthly pubs "looking for...".At lot of leg work, but good luck.

Are you looking for evidence of a stressor? You would fill out an 0781 with as much as you can remember on it and then that would trigger us to submit to JSRRC which is the records research center- like a hub. They have access to all the services stuff that not always in your OMPF/STRs etc. a suicide in basic isn't usually going to be in the paper, especially not 40 yrs ago- most likely it was a telegram or a call from the chaplain to the parents and that was it. The local Obit may or may not have contained anything mentioning military service or affiliation. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

2 minutes ago, GBArmy said:

DDP There isn't going to be any magic bullet, but I admire your attitude. Here's a spit ball for you. You might not remember the names of the other recruits, but somebody in the training company does. Try to get the training company's training roster with all the names listed. Obviously not graduation, but rosters. Maybe the JAG office can tell you were their records went. Then start targeting those names. Maybe, if you haven't done so yet, put ads in the VFW, DAV's,  etc. monthly pubs "looking for...".At lot of leg work, but good luck.

Good idea, I didnt think of that. OP, your OMPF will only have your info in it, but JSRRC would have access to training rotations, rosters, etc. Do you have one of those BCT pictures of your company? I don't know when that became a thing, but I did in the 2000s and I contacted the photographer that took the picture- they had the names of everyone in it. That might help- though it might trigger something, too, if you see their face in it. Tread lightly. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

• HadIt.com Elder

IF HE HAS NOT ALREADY DONE THIS   HE MIGHT TRY CONTACTING THE POST WHERE HE DID HIS BASIC TRAINNIG , THE POST COMMANDER CAN RECHECK THE RECORDS FOR THIS.

IF HE CAN GIVE THE TIME & DATE  IT HAPPEN LOCATION AND OR IF IT WAS CLOSE TO A HOLIDAY  SOMETHING TO PUT HIM THERE AT THAT TIME  NAME OF HIS BATTILLION AND COMPANY, COMMANDER NAME , BUT WITH OUT THE NAME OF THE VICTIM  IT WILL BE PRETTY MUCH HARD FOR THEM TO BELIEVE IT HAPPEN  NO RECORD NO SERVICE CONNECTION.

This Veteran needs to get on the hadit/ expose-vet radio show coming up   when they have Bill Creger on  he is an retired senior DRO/RATER  with the va for like 30.plus years and some times he even goes to the R.O. he use to work at to help out on his own time..he can let you know what you need to do.  he is easy to talk with.

call in to the radio show , its usually on on Thursdays  evenings at 7:00 pm eastern time 6:00pm central , it will be advertised here on hadit

call the #and after it picks up then hit the # 1 ...John or Jerald will be glad to take your call.

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Brokensoldier had a good idea-others did as well.

Do you still have the large red booklet the USMC used to issue, that included everyone's photo in your unit? With their name  and maybe their Home town?

I still have the one my husband got upon discharge from USMC- in 1968.

One of his stressors involved the death of  his best friend in Vietnam. His tank exploded over a land mine and my husband was blown from his deuce 1/2 and when he came to, he found his dead buddy.He supported that with Wall tracings, of the buddy's name,  but the VA had already confirmed another stressor.

Also it sounds like you might need a buddy statement.TWS is an excellent help site for finding buddies, and maybe you just need to put your unit into the Google browser to find others.

GBA's idea is great too and Buck told you the main problem- without a name -this stressor could be VERY difficult to find.

I suggest you read my topic here on defining a stressor, as well, because some stressors. events do not raise to the level of a stressor that the VA is looking for.

If you have more than one stressor- it is best to tell VA of the one most likely to be verified.

I did an article here on what a solid Buddy statement needs as well.

Some units on line has rosters for reunions., and often their membership email addy is public.That also is a good way to try to find a unit buddy.

And please read the 2010 PTSD regulations here. You definitely will need to prove your stressor.

But nothing is impossible.

Edited by Berta
added more

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Buck is right- there should be a Morning report on the Boot Camp suicide.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.