Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Nexus letter

Rate this question

Bunbowsky

Question

Can you look at this please and let me know what you think. My neurologist wrote this for me 

To Whom It May Concern,

Mr. ________ has come to my office as a patient for his neurological and sleep condition. I am a board certified Neurologist. I am also certified and specialize in sleep medicine. Mr. ______has been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). I am currently treating him for this diagnosis.

Mr. _______ with confirmed OSA diagnosis treated with positive airway pressure therapy (CPAP). It is possible,or at least than not (50% or greater probability) that OSA is associated with or due to service-connected PTSD diagnosis. However, a direct casual relationship cannot be definitely ascertained.

If there is any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me in my office.

Sincerely,

My question is? Is this a valid nexus letter?

6 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes It looks pretty good for a OSA dx  but Hey they won't deny that you have a diagnose for it

If your trying to get compensation  you need to prove you had it in the military  or you need to prove it is from a  service connected secondary condition that is related to your OSA ,= Either with   I.S.R .or buddy statements

Just because you have a Diagnose for OSA /Sleep Apnea  and were prescribe a C-pap machine  Don't necessarily mean you will be approved by the VA FOR COMPENSATION ,your going to need to prove it was caused by your military service or secondary to a .s.c. condition that you have..

And a Qualified Dr to state such.  he/she needs to give their medical opinion has to how it is related or caused by your PTSD.

Like ....>THE MEDS YOU TAKE FOR PTSD , SLEEP MEDS, ANXINETY  MEDS,  ect,,,ect,,,.AND GIVE A MEDICAL  DETAIL AS TO WHY THESE MEDICATIONS WILL CAUSE YOU TO HAVE OSA, HE/SHE NEEDS TO STATE ''AND IT IS MEDDICALLY NEEDED FOR THIS VETERAN TO USE HIS C-PAP MACHINE  EVERY NIGHT'' DUE TO HIS SERVICE CONNECTED  **% PTSD AND IS IS LIKELY AS NOT THE MEDICATIONS HE IS TAKING FOR HIS PTSD.

IF HE SAYS ALL THAT  THEN I BELIEVE YOU HAVE A 90% APPROVED CHANCE.  (JMO)

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Buck52 Needs to show why PTSD is causing OSA. I don't like the "It is possible"; just say it is in my professional opinion after years of practice and in this specialty that "IT IS AS LIKELY AS NOT, at least 50% probability that..."The doc has to refer to medical journals or studies, or other actual medical evidence and relate that to your symptoms. It is not likely to be a successful claim unless you get a stronger IMO/nexus.

4 hours ago, Bunbowsky said:

Can you look at this please and let me know what you think. My neurologist wrote this for me 

To Whom It May Concern,

Mr. ________ has come to my office as a patient for his neurological and sleep condition. I am a board certified Neurologist. I am also certified and specialize in sleep medicine. Mr. ______has been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA). I am currently treating him for this diagnosis.

Mr. _______ with confirmed OSA diagnosis treated with positive airway pressure therapy (CPAP). It is possible,or at least than not (50% or greater probability) that OSA is associated with or due to service-connected PTSD diagnosis. However, a direct casual relationship cannot be definitely ascertained.

If there is any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me in my office.

Sincerely,

My question is? Is this a valid nexus letter?

I azlso have a problem with the wording of "it is possible......"  Needs to be more definitive as to the substance of the NEXUS letter, specifically as Buck and GB Army stated.

Suggest take a look at Board or Appeals  https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp cases and see how the court ruled, what evidence was submitted and what judges said.

I'm not saying cut and past, but we (and our NEXUS letter writers) need to speak their language..

Search the sight looking for OSA secondary to PTSD.

We have a full forum here on IMO/IMEs-

And a nexus depends on what is in your SMRs and/or Personnel file. Unless the doctor can fully support the disability, as secondary to an established SC disability.

If an independent doctor does not have a copy of those records, from your military service, the VA will surely disregard their opinion on an inservice nexus.

They must give a full medical rationale as to why one SC has caused another SC, use the correct wording, and support the opinion with any good treatises, abstracts, etc.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

"7. The criteria for service connection for obstructive sleep apnea as secondary to PTSD are met.  38 U.S.C. §§ 1110, 1131, 5107; 38 C.F.R. §§ 3.102, 3.310."

https://www.va.gov/vetapp19/files4/19128152.txt

https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva_search.jsp?QT=sleep+apnea&EW=secondary+to+PTSD&AT=granted&ET=&RPP=10&DB=2020&DB=2019&DB=2018&DB=2017

Veterans with OSA ( Sleep apnea) often have a better chance to obtain direct service connection, if they had evidence of sleep problems in their SMRs ( r Personnel files) and/or with buddy statements of unit members who testify they snored loudly when they slept. I have an article searchable here for what a good Buddy Statement needs, and buddys cab often be found at their unit web site, or at TWS.

"ORDER

New and material evidence has been received, and the petition to reopen a claim of entitlement to service connection for sleep apnea is granted.

Service connection for sleep apnea is granted.

FINDINGS OF FACT

1. Evidence received since the April 2007 rating decision is new and material, as the evidence is not cumulative or redundant, it has not been previously considered by decision makers, and it raises a reasonable possibility of substantiating the claim.

2. The Veteran is currently diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea.

3. Symptoms of obstructive sleep apnea began in service and have been continuous since separation."
https://www.va.gov/vetapp19/files7/19155320.txt
The BVA search feature :
https://www.index.va.gov/search/va/bva.jsp

Slick, Thank you for posting the BVA search link- I feel it is one of the BEST tools veteran have in order to determine what evidence they need, and the denials are just as important as the awards the BVA can make.

It frustrates me to see BVA has to remand so many claims, for what the ROs should have done in the first place. 

Unlike our ROs, the BVA can read.

Unfortunately many vets are unwilling to read long BVA decisions, that I have posted here ever since the BVA went online.

Your vet rep wont take the time to do that- it is up to us claimants to seek knowledge from any possible source on VA claims issues.

Some hold multiple decisions on many issues the veteran has claimed but they only need to read the part that applies to their disability.

BVA cites established VA case law ( CAVC precedent decisions), OGCPrec Ops, as well as M21-1MR excerpts, and those references, too, are invaluable.

A BVA decision itself only applies to the specific vet or widow/widower it is rendered to, but if the BVA makes a legal statement , that statement can be used as evidence.

BVA made a legal statement in a decision to me that they rendered moot ,long ago, because I had won the claim by then at the RO level and my vet rep never withdrew the appeal.

I used that legal statement , and sent the RO the entire past BVA decision for a subsequent claim I had.

It was, in essense ,a legal clue, if I ever proved direct SC death in the future and many years later,I did. 

My RO cannot read, but the General Counsel VA can and they had to order my VARO to pay me over one important aspect of that claim....in the older BVA moot decision, after they denied it at first.

Edited by Berta
heavy fog

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use