Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Project Help

Rate this question

Fat

Question

I am constantly thinking of ways to help new/old veterans understand the VA system.

I am steadfast against filing everything and seeing what sticks.  BAD ADVICE...............

Evidence wins claims. Do it the right way.

Most terms are foreign and hard to understand.

I'm putting  a list of the top 20 things to be done before submitting a claim.

I NEED YOUR HELP............

I am asking  posters to leave a simple word/sentence of advice to veterans filing their first claim.

I think it would be worthwhile.

I will start off.

1. Get your military medical records and organize all of your sick call visits.

a. After organizing all issues, if you are still hampered by the condition, visit a doctor, get tested (by verifiable means), and have doctor notate physical/residual limitations.

All comments are welcomed.

• HadIt.com Elder

I'll add this

On Anything we file on  we need to have our C-file and know what's in it!!!

So its good that veterans request their C-file Before filing...this could save a Denial/Appeals.  (jmo)

Necessary, yes. Can take weeks to months(esp now) also yes. Vsos or POA (some of them) can see vbms direct. It's the same as your claims file unless you are old enough to have had paper but about 90+percent of that stuff has been scanned in the last few years, too, and ongoing.

Organizing your military medical history is extremely important - finding a method of organizing that works for you can take a considerable amount of time, and it's well worth it.

I personally did it this way ---

I first sorted each (medical) problem individually - and if a document carried some component of another injury/issue, I placed a copy in the folder with the separate issue as well. I used highlighters and book/page tabs mainly for the most important (Caluza) elements in each folder so I could go right to it if needed.

Additionally - protect the information you have especially if you believe the VA doesn't have a copy of something...one of the best ways IMO is a Flash drive (not one of those cheap-plasticky "thumb" drives) and store it in a fire-proof safe or safe deposit (and ensure someone has permission/access these things - should something happen to you.)

I find it almost equally important to get in touch with people you served with.

Buddy letters, buddy letters....DETAILED...buddy letters. Ensure they don't give their own diagnosis of your issues, leave that to the doctors.

Yes, it can be daunting, you may have to talk to a lot of people you haven't heard from in years - they may not recall what happened, or the aftermath - however, this can be a key component in getting a witnessed injury service connected.

I was one of the stubborn types who never went to sick-call - thus pulling the metaphorical rug out from under myself.

Dig through those box(es) of old stuff from when you were active etc... we all have at least one right? I still have sea-bags full of stuff just gathering dust.

Found a slip of paper amongst my things that had a roster with names and numbers of people I served with - proceeded to call them one by one until someone answered. Surprisingly, some had kept the same number after all these years.

After a quick catch-up and reminisce, explained what is happening today, and if they are able to assist. After all, in some cases it may take 5 minutes to jot down what was seen/heard/felt etc.

Could be what turns the tide for you.