VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic Pain

Rate this question

Ken Dillon

Question

I have the following disability's 40% ivds, 20% RT foot drop, 20% Rt lower radiculopathy, 10 % lower radiculopathy and a few other for total of 80%. Ever since I had my last surgery for lumbar fusion I have nothing but chronic pain in my back, legs and hips. Does the above percentages cover the pain, of is Chronic Pain something different to put in for.  I have tried drug therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, and chiropractor. Still no relief, this has been going on for two years no since surgery.  Thanks for all inputs. Ken

I understand your pain issues with 60% DDD, left foot drop and both knees needing replacement, and a hip that hurts evertime I move. According to the VA pain is always a consideration in there ratings for these types of medical issue. I personally do not believe this. I myself am working on a claim for cronic pain, based on the amount of pain medications I take in including Morphine, that still does not completly help my pain issues. I do not know the solution to this problem, my claim for pain is very likely to be denied, because the VA will say they take pain into consideration with our ratings. I will submit it anyway once my research, and statement of the claim is finished.  Best luck with your claim.

Edited by Richard1954

I recall many years previous reading CAVC court and BVA appeal decisions concerning the issue of vets' chronic pain symptoms. If I recall correctly constant severe chronic pain can be used to request an increase in the vet's service connected condition. They ruled that VA raters could not ignore the issue of chronic pain in claim decisions.

Using key words search such as chronic pain and the medical condition on BVA, Google and CAVC court search sites may display these decisions   Been to many years for me to remember the court cases names and BVA decisions.

My comment not legal advice as I am no lawyer, paralegal or VSO.

4 hours ago, Ken Dillon said:

I have the following disability's 40% ivds, 20% RT foot drop, 20% Rt lower radiculopathy, 10 % lower radiculopathy and a few other for total of 80%. Ever since I had my last surgery for lumbar fusion I have nothing but chronic pain in my back, legs and hips. Does the above percentages cover the pain, of is Chronic Pain something different to put in for.  I have tried drug therapy, acupuncture, physical therapy, and chiropractor. Still no relief, this has been going on for two years no since surgery.  Thanks for all inputs. Ken

Because pain is subjective it is difficult to ensure that it is accurately captured, I know that if reported it is supposed to be apart of the evaluation process. Are you rated for any mental health conditions? If not, that is an avenue I would explore as chronic pain has long been clinically accepted to contribute to depression and anxiety. 

• HadIt.com Elder

Agree with MilvetHD. If you don'y have a rating for MH, or rated very low, like 10% rating, seek out some MH evaluation either thru the VA or private. Anyone under constant pain is likely having depression and/or anxiety issues, and a good evaluator will see it easily. And continue to get treatment and find a solution.

You are right about that. My dad and I both are retired vets. We both have Chronic pain. I get Naproxen. My dad got stronger stuff. They reduced his. Then he went got his mmj card to help with his pain, the VA stopped all of his strong meds.