VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I have watched for years now our 100% PT Service Connected Disabled Veterans, who served our Country, served her proudly and through no fault of their own, were injured, honorably discharged and unfortunately unable to have the opportunity to committ to a 20 year career and now being passed over and denied again and again, the benefit to be eligible for the DoD's Space A Travel Program while other non uniformed service personnel whom never served, get added into the Eligibility Categories as if they were the cat's meow!

It's time to RIGHT THIS WRONG! It's time to stand up and be heard, listened too and taken seriously!

Let's get the word out there! Let's get it out there Loud & Proud and hopefully see a change this time! :)

I have started a Petition to send to President Obama and to Congress about finally following through and amending the DoD 4515.13-R Regulation to include a "Category 7 entitling 100% PT SC Diabled Veterans" for the Space A Travel Program.

I am hoping the way I have written the petition and the way I wish for them to amend the eligibility categories that it will pass without concerns and/or complaints from the nay sayers, the Joint Chiefs, DoD, The Secretary of Defense, the military uniform service members, DoD employees, 20 year retirees and/or any other eligible personnel.

The Petition is asking to add an additional Priority Category 7, which will be the Category that includes our 100% PT SC DAV, hence placing them at the bottom of the Priority list for any available passenger seating that may be open.

I am hoping this will make everyone happy. The DAV will finally be eligible and have the opportunity to benefit from the Space A Travel Program without any other eligible uniform category member to give up their priority listing.

If you wish to help our DAV receive this benefit, please click on the link below and sign the Petition.

Thanks. :)

http://petitions.moveon.org/sign/space-a-travel-eligibility

• 4 weeks later...

first and foremost, I applaud you on your ambitions for the 100% disabled veterans and the DOD space A travel program.

I actually did the same thing back in 2007. I submitted for a proposed change to the regulation. Sent it to all the appropriate agencies.

Is what I received is a letter stating that the request was denied. The reason for denial were as follows; The planes used for space A travel are not always the same type of aircraft. The plane would need to be modified to handle many veterans that are 100%. Not all 100% disabled veterans can walk, talk and have 100% mobility. Many have wheel chairs or other prosthetic devices that would not be able to be secured with or without the veteran. The space A plane has no medical staff to treat the 100% disabled veterans in case of emergencies. To allow some and not others would be discrimination and for those reasons, they denied 100% disabled veterans access to the space a travel. Now, this isn't word for word and I paraphrasing some of the highlighted issues. Basically, it was an overall safety issue so the request was denied. I was also informed that this has been attempted on several occasions over the years.

Send it through and see what happens, I for one would be glad to know, but I believe I already do....

To allow some and not others would be discrimination...

Actually, it seems like to categorically deny an entire category of people just because they might not be able to handle the special needs of certain members of the group on certain flights seems to be more discriminatory...

• HadIt.com Elder

Who wants to sit around some airport waiting for space available for hours if you are 100% disabled vet with mobility problems? If I were 25 years old and not traveling with a wife maybe it would not be so bad.

• 4 months later...

Ok, it's paased in the National Defense Authrization Act for FY 2014. Look at HR3304 #4 Veteran's Pensions and Compensation... it's in the Act.,,, I think signed into law by Pres. Obama on 12/26/2013... Check Thomas Libray... you know the drill ! :wink:

I"m glad I posted in here, you guys have been fighting so long you thought it died !

RLTW