Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Daughter And Discharge

Rate this question

airforcemom

Question

Thank you for letting me be a member of this board. Long story will try to make it short. My Daughter has served for ten years, USAF. Four months ago they sent her to the Azores unaccompanied (has Husband and two small children). When they sent her there she had already been diagnosed with Depression, OCD and Thyroid of which none had been stabilized with meds. Now, 4 months later she is so bad they are sending a packet to Randolph for discharge. None of her illnesses are under control yet..... Her symptoms worsened GREATLY because she was seperated from her family...Her Thyroid is out of control. She also has Hypertension that was diagnosed in the AF.

What I need help with is what she can expect next.... what should she do to protect herself?

I really don't even know what to ask..can anyone give me some tips etc to convey to her...at this point she does seek a discharge.

Jeanette

USAF Vet

• Answers 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

as long as you are on TRDL you are not a veteran as far as the VA is concerned you are still ative duty sorry

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

Can someone tell me where I can find useful information on SBP?

I am under the impression that VGLI may be the way to go for insurance coverage, but would like to do a little more research on the SBP beofre making a final decision...

Thanks!

Nichole,

You were very much correct when you called it a "gift horse". Unless the rules have changed, 30% is the magic number you needed. If everything goes for you as it did for me (25 years ago) you will spend a little time on tdrl and then proceed to pdrl (permanent). It will entitle you to all benefits as if you retired after 20 years service.

One of the other benefits you will get is an opportunity to purchase life insurance from the VA. I thought it was a good deal and took it.

The future looks good for you and I wish you well as you travel the path many have taken before you.

Thank you for your service to our country and good luck!

Dennis B)

Don't believe that! You can too submit your VA claim paperwork without waiting to be discharged. I sent mine in a month before I was discharged from the Marine Corps back in Nov 76. The VA put my compensation effective one day prior to discharge from the Marine Corps. My claim for compensation purposes was dated 26Nov76 and my discharge date was 27Nov76. I had my C&P and started receiving the check in 3 months after I was discharged.

Greetings! I am Nichole~Jeanettes daughter! I am currently awaiting the my medical board results, my MEB pkg, was just put in the mail today the 24th of Jan from Ramstein to AFPC, Randolph AFB, Texas.

What I do know as of now, is that I cannot fill out the VA comp paperwork until I am discharged from the service, and cannot even start collecting benefits until after my official date of separation, lucky for me, my husband is Active Duty Air Force, and I will become his dependant. It appears that I will be medically discharged with severance pay, and sent back to the states, as I am currently serving oversees. I have allready obtained copies of all of my medical records (both volumes) and will not be able to attend the briefing until I know what my discharge date will be, and get back to the states.

I have been diagnosed with OCD, depression, hyperthyroid, hypertension, and take MANY pills! All of my "problems" are service connected, and did not exist prior to my coming on Active Duty.

I have done MUCH research and I know that before I can be awarded VA benefits (disability) my records have to first be reviewed. Do we know how long this process takes? and what can the expected outcome be?

Bah, I wish I was here for this:-( First, you could have and SHOULD have filed for VA disability BEFORE your discharge. When my wife had her MEB she had the amvets representative file her paperwork before discharge (called the "fast track" program with amvets). She had her VA decision within two months of discharge (plus got the back pay from the date filed while STILL in the AF).

Since I can't fix what I missed I'll try to help your "current" situation....few questions first though: 1) Is there any other cause for your depression? (IE - rape, war, harassment, etc). 2) What is your discharge date and can you get in contact with an amvets rep? (I believe that fast track thing was an amvets only thing). 3) Have you elected to take your severance or take the monthly retirement pay yet?

With that said, DO NOT take a severance check (NO< NO< NO< NO). Take the retirement and file for disability with the VA. Don't worry about the temporary disability thing (TDRL)... NO ONE gets permanent retirement on the first MEB (wife was extremely odd in that she got permanent retirement on her second MEB <first eval>). Normally it takes a min. of 5 years on TDRL to get a permanent retirement from the military. Also, I do not agree with the "you are active duty thing" as per TDRL and the VA...the wife was receiving 100% from the VA while being on the TDRL for 2 years (and the VA new this because the MEB paperwork was submitted as evidence on her initial award).

Basically, find a VSO willing to help you file (I don't care for VSO's in general, but, as was our case, they can be helpful on your initial filing). Get a copy of your medical records and copy your MEB decision many, many times (along with your DD214 when the time comes) and put them in a very safe place (IE - safety deposit box at a bank). You WILL get VA disability in your case...I'm almost 100% sure of this. If you want to get a fair amount of VA money you will need to start fishing for some civilian opinions and show them how BAD you are and not how good you can be (you will learn in the VA system that the VA fishes for info to give you less money, so don't let them find anything). In other words, don't dress up when you go to the doctor, don't smile as many would to be polite (if you're sad, then be sad), only speak of your problems and bad days and DO NOT talk about the good ones (if prompted say that the good days aren't much better) and get several opinions if possible (pay out of pocket if needed). Also, NEVER talk about your past (IE - family) in a negative way...as far as they're concerned your childhood couldn't have been better!

Anyway, I'm really sorry I wasn't here to help when you needed it most:-( The wife does very poorly during the holidays and we were locked in our own battle with the VA at the time. She was AF (6 years in and E-5), when she was medically boarded and I am fairly knowledgeable on the topic...you'll find that the people charged with telling you what you can and cannot do (IE - your discharge briefings) are COMPLETELY clueless...even the VSO, if you get one, that gives the disabled briefing. Do not trust that they will put you on the right path, because the average military person is 100% clueless about how the VA works. My wife was in finance when she was discharged and they're the ones charged with doing the discharge briefings and she was clueless even after the briefing by her fellow co-worker (if that tells you anything).