Rate this question

Guest Berta

Question

This site is updated continually- dont know if I already posted it at hadit-

very interesting

http://www.vba.va.gov/bln/201/reports/mmrindex.htm

Also http://64.233.179.104/search?q=cache:MV4rD...k&cd=7&ie=UTF-8

This is a real beauty- a long report---

I am always griping about BVA remands and how they could-in many cases- have been prevented by better claims work at the VARO level-

Well- this report from the VBA web site reflects exactly what I mean-

The bad part is-this report identifies these issues and why they occur yet it is dated 2001!

The time it took to prepare this report-is more time than a veteran can expect from the VARO with a valid claim-

They mention the Triage teams, Tiger teams, Appeals Coach etc blah blah blah but since 2001

yet one can still find numerous remands at the BVA level that ask for things that could have been acquired right from the git go at the VARO level-

I blame the VA but there is a lot of responsibility to well paid SOs or vet reps to really help the veteran get what they need-or at least tell them some avenues of approach- lke considering a private IMO, or giving them some Find a vet web sites- etc- etc--my local vet rep says he gives vets our hadit cards-but I wonder if he really does-

and then again- the VCAA letter that they are supposed to send (still waiting for mine after 2-3 years)

should specify what the VA needs yet it appears that it doesn't always state what it should-

Any vet with a claim at the BVA should continue to seek more evidence and send it into the VARO-

Terry said they have a year and half wait at the BVA-

in that time any vet at the BVA has plenty of time to find more evidence before they get a remand asking for the same thing---

On a Statement of a Case -denial under Reasons and Bases- that is the key to your claim-

whatever they say is lacking is what you need.

If it says your SMRs are silent for any evidence of the disability- you might need buddy statements- but certainly double check your SMRs yourself first for anything symptomatic of your condition.

If they say you are claiming PTSD but have an unrelated to service mental disorder-get the PTSD diagnosis-from a real psyche doc if needed- and then proof of the nexus-

If it is a denial of increase in rating make sure that the diagnostic codes they have used actually reflect your condition and that they have used as evidence ,all medical information to support the increase as well as any lay statements (notarized) if needed.

If you have a good IMO I suggest adding to this any ineternet medical treatise printouts to support it as well as making sure that the IMO doctor has stating a basis for their rationale-

Example : Dr. Bash-in my IMO- stated under Special Knowledge-his specific experience as Neuro Radiologist that supported his ability to opine on my husband's specific areas of brain damage as consistent with his untreated diabetes-he added he had read the MRIs,CTs and X rays of thousands of diabetics and correlated this with the clinical record. He wrote more too but this is the type of strong rationale that the VA does not like to see-so they can deny the claim.(after receipt 440 days ago and numerous copies sent since---- the VA still has not even acknowledged this IMO-so I feel it must be pretty good!)

One of my vets- to punch up his IMO- I found this doc had spoken at a large medical symposium on the same disability the veteran had and we attached a printout of that information to the IMO stating it supported his expertise and his rationale.

VA is quick to point out any "rationale" that is lacking in an IMO-

This however gets me- I had another vet with a good IMO but they favored the VA opinion over it-

so the vet went to a shrink and asked the shrink for an IMO as to his nexus and the shrink

gave it to him-this was NOT a medical shrink issue at all-

the VARO actually awarded then because the vet had 2 IMOS and they never attempted to say the shrink had no expertise in the field of his actual disability.????It was a Psychiatrist however-therefore an MD-

I dont think they would have bought this from a psychologist.

Edited by Berta

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Until the VA starts holding VARO's accountable it will not change.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• spazbototto earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Paul Gretza earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • Troy Spurlock went up a rank
      Community Regular
    • KMac1181 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • jERRYMCK earned a badge
      Week One Done
  • Our picks

• These decisions have made a big impact on how VA disability claims are handled, giving veterans more chances to get benefits and clearing up important issues.

Service Connection

Frost v. Shulkin (2017)
      This case established that for secondary service connection claims, the primary service-connected disability does not need to be service-connected or diagnosed at the time the secondary condition is incurred 1. This allows veterans to potentially receive secondary service connection for conditions that developed before their primary condition was officially service-connected. 

Saunders v. Wilkie (2018)
      The Federal Circuit ruled that pain alone, without an accompanying diagnosed condition, can constitute a disability for VA compensation purposes if it results in functional impairment 1. This overturned previous precedent that required an underlying pathology for pain to be considered a disability.

Effective Dates

Martinez v. McDonough (2023)
      This case dealt with the denial of an earlier effective date for a total disability rating based on individual unemployability (TDIU) 2. It addressed issues around the validity of appeal withdrawals and the consideration of cognitive impairment in such decisions.

Rating Issues

Continue Reading on HadIt.com
      • 0 replies
    • I met with a VSO today at my VA Hospital who was very knowledgeable and very helpful.  We decided I should submit a few new claims which we did.  He told me that he didn't need copies of my military records that showed my sick call notations related to any of the claims.  He said that the VA now has entire military medical record on file and would find the record(s) in their own file.  It seemed odd to me as my service dates back to  1981 and spans 34 years through my retirement in 2015.  It sure seemed to make more sense for me to give him copies of my military medical record pages that document the injuries as I'd already had them with me.  He didn't want my copies.  Anyone have any information on this.  Much thanks in advance.  
      • 4 replies
    • Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use