Ask Your VA Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Speeding Up Claims Processing

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

If these wars in Iraq and Afghanistan really start to wind down the vets will be quickly forgotten. I think at that point VA claims process will get much harder. The VA just does not want to pay a couple of million new vets who may all qualify under new PTSD regs. Who knows what new presumptives will crop up for these vets. Vietnam Era vets are totally forgotten as if the war never happened and they make up the bulk of living vets. I watched "Winter Soldier" with all horrendous stories of war crimes and that is all forgotten as if it never happened. There were vets there with such horrible PTSD that they could never adjust to society. It took them 20 years to get a dime. The budget hawks want to renig on medicare and SSA. Do we think they will not betray veterans? Get a lawyer and get your money now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 yrs on appeal for me

2 yrs amc done nothing.

so i say 2 yrs till decision

My appeal went in 2004... finally got the decision from Washington 14 Mar 2011...... My appeal sat dormant in the St. Petersburg AMC from 2005-2009 w/o any activity... I moved to South Carolina in 2009 and the AMC there took it and ran with it... within 1 year I had 5 C&P exams... moved again in 2010 to Alabama... had 3 more C&P exams... then the file was sent to DC.... fast forward to today.. I've moved back to Florida, Washington made their decision.. St. Pete says it will be 6 months before my file is even looked at due to all the Nehmer claims....

*sigh*

If you want to calculate your disability percentage (current and pending according to VA Math) or your estimated back pay that may be due to you when you win or have won your request for Service Connection for your appeal, go here to the Veterans Calculator (http://www.veteranscalculator.com)

Interesting info on the Buffalo VARO opening-

I meet those qualifications -I graduated with 3.7 or 3.8 forget what =2 Bs ,all the rest were "A"s.

But I feel that the VAROs should become sattelite BVAs with lawyers handling our claims and not raters.

You don't learn anything about evidence unless you go to law school.

So those educational qualifications do not reflect any aptitude at all to become a VA rater.

I have SOCs,SSOCs here from Buffalo that I swear someone who cannot read must have prepared.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

No level of education can replace INTEGRITY, and SELF MOTIVATION. All a Masters degree does, is make the processors feel they are smart enough to fast talk the veteran and cheat him out of more money. Look at the numerous corrupt CEOs, Doctors, and Lawyers, all self serving professionals, and self serving people. What we need are integral professionals. They seam to be hard to find, as many once served our nation, but when faced with loads of cash, and the thought of "no oversight" one's integrity can be compromised.

Just for clarification in my prior post of,

" In VA claims adjudication, there shouldn't be a need for a specific college levelof education. There is a need to know how to read and comprehend what is read,

then apply the regulations correctly."

This was posted only as my opinion and not supported by any regs or instruction.

I am very much in agreement with pr, they just want sheep to follow the instructions from

higher up.

Something else for consideration is:

Let's say a claimant receives a Rating Decision, disagrees with something in the decision

and files a NOD which starts an appeal. The claimant receives a SOC from the decision maker

and then request a DRO Hearing.

The DRO hearing is scheduled, the DRO has never adjudicated any prior issues for this

claimant BUT the DRO's decision maker buddy (at work and lunch or drinks after work),

is the same decision maker that made the decision being appealed.

Is the DRO going to actually rate with the medical evidence of record and the regs,

which will go against their buddy's prior decision

OR

Is the DRO going to continue the decision or low ball, with the VBA attitude that

they have a very generous appeals process.

My opinion is that the DRO is going to continue to support the prior decision that their buddy made.

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.

While I think I like Pete's idea the best, Vets need to be told about the birds and the Bees:

There is no Santa Clause, and the VA does NOT want to reduce the backlog. All of the politicians talk about reducing the backlog is just talk. It would cost the VA too much money to reduce the backlog, because, other than denying claims, they would have to award benefits, and that costs money. They WANT the backlog, and prefer that it grows. Do not beleive the politicians promise to reduce the backlog..when they have done exactly the opposite. We have to look at what the politicians do, NOT their words.

So, there is no Santa, and the backlog wont be reduced. In fact, the Secretary is doing his best to create NEW backlogs...backlog in Caregiver act, backlog in "new" GI bill education benefits, and more backlog in VA claims.

There is a reason why VA employees are paid about $67k per year average, and disabled Vets get about $10,000 per year average.

Politically, Vets are dead. WE are divided...Iraq Vets, Vietnam Vets, female Vets, male Vets for DADT, Vets against DADT, Democrats, Republicans..etc. ..Vets that think we deserve a Cola, and Vets that say we dont..even when VA employees got a raise, but we didnt. WE are not a force to be recokened with, we have mentally ill Vets, and the VA takes advantage of Vets, why?

Because they can. And the VA will continue to get its way with VEts until we change and unite against this injustice to VEts.

• Tell a friend

Love HadIt.com’s VA Disability Community Vets helping Vets since 1997? Tell a friend!
  • Recent Achievements

• Lebro earned a badge
      First Post
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • stuart55 earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Lebro earned a badge
      Conversation Starter
    • Sparklinger earned a badge
      First Post
  • Our picks

• Caluza Triangle defines what is necessary for service connection
      Caluza Triangle – Caluza vs Brown defined what is necessary for service connection. See COVA– CALUZA V. BROWN–TOTAL RECALL

This has to be MEDICALLY Documented in your records:

Current Diagnosis.   (No diagnosis, no Service Connection.)

In-Service Event or Aggravation.
      Nexus (link- cause and effect- connection) or Doctor’s Statement close to: “The Veteran’s (current diagnosis) is at least as likely due to x Event in military service”
      • 0 replies
    • Do the sct codes help or hurt my disability rating 
    • VA has gotten away with (mis) interpreting their  ambigious, , vague regulations, then enforcing them willy nilly never in Veterans favor.  

They justify all this to congress by calling themselves a "pro claimant Veteran friendly organization" who grants the benefit of the doubt to Veterans.  

This is not true, 

Proof:  

About 80-90 percent of Veterans are initially denied by VA, pushing us into a massive backlog of appeals, or worse, sending impoverished Veterans "to the homeless streets" because  when they cant work, they can not keep their home.  I was one of those Veterans who they denied for a bogus reason:  "Its been too long since military service".  This is bogus because its not one of the criteria for service connection, but simply made up by VA.  And, I was a homeless Vet, albeit a short time,  mostly due to the kindness of strangers and friends. 

Hadit would not be necessary if, indeed, VA gave Veterans the benefit of the doubt, and processed our claims efficiently and paid us promptly.  The VA is broken. 

A huge percentage (nearly 100 percent) of Veterans who do get 100 percent, do so only after lengthy appeals.  I have answered questions for thousands of Veterans, and can only name ONE person who got their benefits correct on the first Regional Office decision.  All of the rest of us pretty much had lengthy frustrating appeals, mostly having to appeal multiple multiple times like I did. 

I wish I know how VA gets away with lying to congress about how "VA is a claimant friendly system, where the Veteran is given the benefit of the doubt".   Then how come so many Veterans are homeless, and how come 22 Veterans take their life each day?  Va likes to blame the Veterans, not their system.   
    • Welcome to hadit!  

There are certain rules about community care reimbursement, and I have no idea if you met them or not.  Try reading this:

https://www.va.gov/resources/getting-emergency-care-at-non-va-facilities/

However, (and I have no idea of knowing whether or not you would likely succeed) Im unsure of why you seem to be so adamant against getting an increase in disability compensation.  

When I buy stuff, say at Kroger, or pay bills, I have never had anyone say, "Wait!  Is this money from disability compensation, or did you earn it working at a regular job?"  Not once.  Thus, if you did get an increase, likely you would have no trouble paying this with the increase compensation.  

However, there are many false rumors out there that suggest if you apply for an increase, the VA will reduce your benefits instead.  

That rumor is false but I do hear people tell Veterans that a lot.  There are strict rules VA has to reduce you and, NOT ONE of those rules have anything to do with applying for an increase.  

Yes, the VA can reduce your benefits, but generally only when your condition has "actually improved" under ordinary conditions of life.  

Unless you contacted the VA within 72 hours of your medical treatment, you may not be eligible for reimbursement, or at least that is how I read the link, I posted above. Here are SOME of the rules the VA must comply with in order to reduce your compensation benefits:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/38/3.344

• Good question.   

Maybe I can clear it up.  

The spouse is eligible for DIC if you die of a SC condition OR any condition if you are P and T for 10 years or more.  (my paraphrase).  

More here:

Source:

https://www.va.gov/disability/dependency-indemnity-compensation/

NOTE:   TO PROVE CAUSE OF DEATH WILL LIKELY REQUIRE AN AUTOPSY.  This means if you die of a SC condtion, your spouse would need to do an autopsy to prove cause of death to be from a SC condtiond.    If you were P and T for 10 full years, then the cause of death may not matter so much. 

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use