Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Family Caregiver Program Eligibility For Ptsd Rated Sc Veteran Post 9/11

Rate this question

Draggin'

Question

I am only providing the information that show that a veteran with SC (Rated and Service Connected) PTSD could be eligible for the new Caregiver program that just started in May 2011. Others may be eligible and there is a lot more info out there! Hope this helps, I wanted to figure this out before applying with the wife.

Here's the link to where I found the info: VA-2011-VHA-0012-0001.pdf (EDIT-since I posted this, the VA has moved the information that was attached to this link, and I have yet to find it elsewhere)

Before I go further, I must say this. Although I am thankful for this benefit...I do find it backwards and unfortunate to not take care of the previous generations of veterans first. Thanks to YOU for MY freedom. Draggin'

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A veteran or servicemember is eligible for a Primary or Secondary Family Caregiver under this part if she or he meets all of the following requirements:

a) The individual is a veteran

b) The individual has a serious injury, including traumatic brain injury, psychological trauma, or other mental disorder, incurred or aggravated in the line of duty in the active military, naval, or air service on or after September 11, 2001. (PTSD).

c) Such serious injury renders the individual in need of personal care services for a minimum of 6 continuous months (based on a clinical determination), based on any ONE of the following 4 clinical criteria: (Only showing #2 of the 4)

2. Need for supervision, assistance or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological or other impairment or injury is the 2nd alternative basis for a determination that an individual is in need of personal care services.

Also stated as:

Need for supervision or protection based on symptoms or residuals of neurological or other impairment or injury means requiring supervision or assistance for any of the following reasons (p.26):

• (1) Seizures (blackouts or lapses in mental awareness, etc.);
  • (2) Difficulty with planning and organizing (such as the ability to adhere
  • to medication regimen);
  • (3) Safety risks (wandering outside the home, danger of falling, using electrical appliances, etc.);
  • (4) Difficulty with sleep regulation;
  • (5) Delusions or hallucinations;
  • (6) Difficulty with recent memory;and
  • (7) Self regulation (being able to moderate moods, agitation or aggression, etc.).

d) A clinical determination has been made that it is in the best interest of the individual to participate in the program.

e) Personal care services that would be provided by the Family Caregiver will not be simultaneously and regularly provided by or through another individual or entity.

f) The individual agrees to receive care at home after VA designates a Family Caregiver.

g) The individual agrees to receive ongoing care from a primary care team after VA designates a Family Caregiver.

Edited by Draggin'

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Forgive me for my ignorance. Does the VA have any "plans" to take care of all veterans that need caregivers?

Draggin'

They look upon our generation as having one foot already in the grave due to their lack of recognizing our illnesses and not treating them for many years. I'm just guesing but i believe about 30% of the VN era vets have already died of service related but untreated health problems. About 50% of us are at the age that our ilnesses and injuries are a major portion of our life and if denied treatment our normal life cycles will be shortened and they know it. They see our medical records and probably have betting sheets on when each of us will expire. They know that all we need is a little stress applied here or there and Our bodies would give up. We have been ghosts for along time now. The greatest generation, the WW2 vets are almost gone and all the focus has gone to the newer vets which neglect was made aware a few years ago on the east coast. The system was shown for what they are. They need to take care of all vets equally. We have waited in line patiently, and we have finally ran out of that patience. We can no longer ask for benefits long owed us. It is time for us ALL to DEMAND the health care. Like my local VA hospital, they have no cardiology dept or any cardiologist on staff. For the elderly like my self and many other VN vets our ages demand those type of drs available at all times. Since my heart surgery(by a civilian hospital) 2 1/2 years ago, I have yet to see any cardiologist by the VA. I did pay for one myself to get some questions answered that the VA failed to get me.It is a training hospital for the Uof Washington which might be fine for the younger vets but us ole farts desiree someone with experience with live bodies.Thanks for letting me vent!! Mike

Since I don't work in Washington DC, I can't answer those questions.

But, from what I have read there is a caregiver program for all Veterans, just at this time the only ones who will receive benefits (the caregivers) are post 9/11. I am pretty sure this is like many VA programs, they want to get started somewhere and see the effect, cost, and how the entire process is going to effect them.

Right now, finally, the VN Vets are getting priority processing for AO claims. I agree about 30 years too late, but they are bumping everyone else in line to try and get r done, which I don't mind a bit. I have had a NOD in for 14 months, and an Auto allowance request for the same time and I am happy to wait until the AO claims are done. Well, not happy, but you know....

I would recommend some of you old farts contact your local VAMC, Caregiver Rep. and ask the questions you are asking here. If they don't sound like they know what they are doing, check the instruction, file an application, see what happens.

I called the National 800# and the gal I spke with there really made it seem as the Caregiver rep had all control, but when I asked her to either forward the claim or send me a denial, with the information I posted earlier, I got no answer for about a week or so, then when I finally asked what was happening she stated they were moving forward. That was around June 6th and I have not heard anything about any exam yet. I did get my private PCP to write a letter clarifying I definitely needed a caregiver or personal care attendant. We'll see.

Support for all caregivers is also available via the National Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274. Caregivers of Veterans from all eras are also encouraged to use the Website (www.caregiver.va.gov) and support line to explore more than two dozen other services VA provides caregivers for their service

For you old farts, there is the link to the Caregiver website to learn what benefits you do have with the caregiver program

Caregiver Services

Home > VA Caregiver Support Services > Caregiver Services You may know that VA provides benefits and services for Veterans, but did you know that VA also has a number of services designed specifically to support you in your role as a Family Caregiver? VA values your commitment as a partner in our pledge to care for those who have "borne the battle," and we have several support and service options designed with you in mind. The programs are available both in and out of your home to help you care for the Veteran you love and for yourself.

Caregiver Support

Asking for help isn't always easy – especially if you're not exactly sure what kind of support would be the best fit for your needs. Learn more about how VA's trained professionals can help you find the services and support that are right for you and the Veteran you care for.

Caregiver Support Line

With VA's Caregiver Support Line – 1-855-260-3274 – assistance is just a quick phone call away. Whether you're in need of immediate assistance or have questions about what services you may be eligible for, the caring licensed professionals who answer the support line can:

• Tell you about the assistance available from VA.
  • Help you access services.
  • Connect you with the Caregiver Support Coordinator at a VA Medical Center near you.
  • Just listen, if that's what you need right now.

If you're just getting started with VA, calling the Caregiver Support Line is a great first step to take to learn more about the support that's available to you.

VA's Caregiver Support Line

1-855-260-3274 toll-free

Monday through Friday 8:00 am – 11:00 pm ET

Saturday 10:30 am – 6:00 pm ET

Caregiver Support Coordinator

Your local Caregiver Support Coordinator is a licensed professional who can support you by matching you with services for which you are eligible, and providing you with valuable information about resources that can help you stay smart, strong and organized as you care for the Veteran you love. Find your local Caregiver Support Coordinator by visiting our Help Near Home page and entering your zip code.

Caregiver Services

Below are descriptions of various services available to Family Caregivers of Veterans. If you'd like additional information or are interested in signing up for any of the services listed below, contact VA's Caregiver Support Line or your local Caregiver Support Coordinator for assistance (see above).

Adult Day Health Care (ADHC) Centers

ADHC Centers are a safe and active environment with constant supervision designed for Veterans to get out of the home and participate in activities. It is a time for the Veteran you care for to socialize with other Veterans while you, the Family Caregiver, get some time for yourself. ADHC Centers employ caring professionals who will assess a Veteran's rehabilitation needs and help a Veteran accomplish various tasks so he or she can maintain or regain personal independence and dignity. The Veteran you care for will participate in rehabilitation based on his or her specific health assessment during the day (ADHC centers are generally open Monday through Friday during normal business hours). The ADHC Centers emphasize a partnership with you, the Veteran you care for and Centers' staffs.

Home-Based Primary Care

Home-Based Primary Care (HBPC) is a program designed to deliver routine health care services to your home when the Veteran you care for has medical issues that make it challenging for him or her to travel. Home-Based Primary Care is staffed with medical professionals who will come to your home. Some of their services are primary care and nursing, managing medication, and helping plan and put together nutritious and tasty meals. Home-Based Primary Care can also include physical rehabilitation, mental health care for your Veteran, social work and referrals to VA and community services. This program can help ease the worry and stress of having to bring a Veteran to and from a VA medical center for routine medical appointments.

Skilled Home Care

The Skilled Home Care service provides a medical professional who comes to your home to help care for a homebound Veteran. Some of the care a Veteran can receive includes basic nursing services and physical, occupational, or speech therapies. To be eligible for this service, a Veteran must be homebound, which means he or she has difficulty traveling to and from appointments and so is in need of receiving medical services at home. The Skilled Home Care service is similar to Home-Based Primary Care, but it involves VA purchasing care for a Veteran from a licensed non-VA medical professional.

Homemaker and Home Health Aide Program

Feeding and bathing another person can be very stressful, physically tasking, and time-consuming for you. Often times, taking care of a Veteran's needs leaves no time for you to take care of your own needs. The Homemaker and Home Health Aide Program is designed to help a Veteran with personal care needs. Your local VA medical center can help arrange for a home health aide who will come to your home on a regular schedule to allow you time to take care of your own needs. Caring for yourself helps you stay strong for yourself and the Veteran you care for.

Home Telehealth

We know how difficult or challenging it can be to get the Veteran you care for to a VA medical center for assistance. The Home Telehealth program is designed to give you ready access to a care coordinator by using technology (e.g., telephone, computers) in your home. The Home Telehealth program enhances and extends care management to you, the Family Caregiver. The program is typically offered to individuals who live at a distance from a VA Medical Center. Home Telehealth services can also include education and training or online and telephone support groups. Please contact your Caregiver Support Coordinator to discuss which telehealth programs are available at your VA.

<a name="respite">Respite Care

As a Family Caregiver, it can be hard to find time for a much-needed break from your daily routine and care responsibilities so that you have some time for yourself. Respite is time for relaxing and renewing your own energy, and respite care can provide you with the time to do that. If a Veteran requires a Caregiver, you are eligible to receive up to 30 days of respite care per year. The care can be offered in a variety of settings including at your home or through temporary placement of a Veteran at a VA Community Living Center, a VA-contracted Community Residential Care Facility, or an Adult Day Health Care Center. Respite care may also be provided in response to a Family Caregiver's unexpected hospitalization, a need to go out of town, or a family emergency. Staying strong for your Veteran means staying strong yourself. By taking an opportunity to be refreshed through respite care, you may be amazed at how your fresh outlook will help you and your Veteran.

Home Hospice Care

During the advanced stages of a terminal disease, Home Hospice Care can offer comfort and supportive services for you and the Veteran you care for in your own home. The professionals who provide Home Hospice Care understand the challenges you face and are there to help you and the Veteran you care for ease into the final stages of life. An interdisciplinary team of health care providers and volunteers from a local community hospice agency provide the services during this sad and challenging time. The team is there for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Bereavement care (grief counseling) is also available for you and other immediate family members

These are all caregiver services, and they are not limited to only post 9/11 Veterans. I think I already made that statement about 9/11 only being compensated with pay at this time and I think it was in english. Ffrom what I have read, this is like most other pilot prgrams, they are going to start at 1 level and eventually include everyone, I hope. Kind of like the post 9/11 GI Bill. I qualify for it, paid into it, retired 6 months before they allowed the transfer to dependents so I cannot transfer it to my son or wife. I hope eventually I will be able to since I cannot go to school or work.

Edited by USNDW

• Founder

Thanks for the information. We all are on the same side and it's a wonderful benefit for Post 9/11 veterans, I believe but could be wrong that the various benefits you mentioned may have more stringent criteria than the Caregiver Act does. Like I said I could be wrong.

I am happy for Post 9/11 veterans and proud of the veterans that came before them fighting the VA all the way to make it better for those behind them.

We are all in this together.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.