Read VA Disability Claims Articles
Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• tbirds-va-claims-struggle (1).png

• 01-2024-stay-online-donate-banner.png

Tdiu/iu/unemployability

Rate this question

Veldrina

Question

....or whatever u wanna call it. We've received Fast Letter 13-13, which states that VA will no longer presume a claim for IU is a claim for increase in ALL s/c (service connected) disabilities. From now on you must specify which of your condition(s) is causing your unemployability AND you must submit a VA Form 21-8940 Veteran's Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability. If you do not submit a completed & signed form, we are denying your IU. If you do not fill in which of your disabilities is causing IU or otherwise identify which ones (whether on a separate paper or VA Form 21-4138 Statement in Support of Claim, we are denying your claim. Just figured I'd give u all a heads up. I've included the actual Fast Letter, but figured I'd put it in "English" first.

Veldrina!....always glad to see you here!!!

I got this from ASKNOD's site: (I too had trouble attaching it here the other day)

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
Veterans Benefits Administration
Washington, D.C. 20420
June 17, 2013
Director (00/21)
In Reply Refer To: 211B
All VA Regional Offices Fast Letter 13-13
ATTN: All Veterans Service Center Personnel
SUBJ: Claims for Total Disability Based on Individual Unemployability (TDIU)
Purpose
The purpose of this Fast Letter is to revise and clarify VA procedures relating to claims for
total disability ratings based on individual unemployability (TDIU).
Overview of Changes
VA will no longer presume a claim for TDIU is a claim for increase in all service-
connected disabilities. As part of a substantially complete application for TDIU, VA
will require that the claimant with multiple service-connected disabilities specify at
least one disability that he or she believes causes the unemployability.
VA will consider the Veteran’s specification of the disabilities that he or she believes
cause unemployability to be claims for increased evaluation for those conditions.
VA will require the claimant complete and submit VA Form 21-8940,
Veteran's
Application for Increased Compensation Based on Unemployability
, to substantiate the
claim of TDIU.
VA will administratively deny TDIU claims if VA requests, but the Veteran does not
submit, required forms or evidence.
VA has the flexibility to request either condition-specific Disability Benefits
Questionnaires (DBQs) or a general medical DBQ when VA determines that
examinations are needed to decide the claim.
VA will interpret the schedular requirements in 38 C.F.R. 4.16(a) to mean that a
combined 70 percent rating is only required if no single disability is rated at 60 percent
disabling.
Page
Director (00/21)
Expressly and Reasonably Raised Claims
As a result of
Rice v. Shinseki
(2009), TDIU claims are no longer adjudicated as
freestanding claims. A TDIU claim may be expressly claimed in conjunction with an
original service-connection claim, or with a claim for increased evaluation. If, in
connection with a claim for increased compensation, the evidence of record shows
evidence of unemployability, and the Veteran meets the schedular criteria for TDIU, then
the evidence reasonably raises a TDIU claim.
When a claim for TDIU is expressly or reasonably raised, VA will send the Veteran a VA
Form 21-8940 for completion. If the Veteran has multiple service-connected disabilities,
the Veteran must specify one or more disabilities that he or she believes preclude
employability. The Veteran’s specification of these disabilities will be treated as a claim
for increase for those conditions. If the Veteran only has one service-connected disability,
VA will presume that disability to be the cause of the Veteran’s unemployability and will
treat the TDIU claim as a claim for increase for that disability.
Note
:
If the evidence reasonably raises the issue of TDIU, the Rating Veterans Service
Representative (RVSR) will infer and defer the issue on the rating decision. In these cases,
authorization must continue the end product (EP). The TDIU claim must be worked as part
of the EP pending when the RVSR inferred the issue.
Section 5103 Notice
Send the Veteran a TDIU-specific Section 5103 notice for all TDIU claims. Include any
disability(ies) the Veteran specifies causes the unemployability in the notice as a claim for
increase.
IMPORTANT:
RVSRs must specifically address any identified disability(ies) as a claim
for increase in the rating decision, in addition to the issue of TDIU.
Requirement for VA Forms 21-8940 and 21-4192
If a claim for TDIU has been expressly or reasonably raised by the evidence of record, but
a current VA Form 21-8940 is not on file, provide it to the Veteran for completion. Before
VA will consider a claim for IU
the Veteran must complete a VA Form 21-8940, and
the Veteran with multiple service-connected disabilities must specify one or more
service-connected disabilities that he or she believes cause the unemployability.
Handling Receipt/Non-Receipt of the VA Form 21-8940
Follow the guidance in the table below to determine appropriate action based on whether or

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Gee, a lot of it got cut off...........

the whole thing is on ASKNOD' s site here:

http://asknod.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/fast-letter-13-013-001.pdf

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

This was discussed in the SVR broadcast with Doug Rosinski.

Expect this thing to change back very soon as Attorneys and the CAVC judges get word of it. It could be a violation of a court order.

Hope the chump who wrote it up gets hung.

J

A Veteran is a person who served this country. Treat them with respect.

A Disabled Veteran is a person who served this country and bears the scars of that service regardless of when or where they served.

Treat them with the upmost respect. I do. Rejection is not a sign of failure. Failure is not an option, Medical opinions and evidence wins claims. Trust in others is a virtue but you take the T out of Trust and you are left with Rust so be wise about who you are dealing with.

• Lead Moderator

I agree with Basser. The CAVC already ruled that a completed 8940 is not required, but the VA can require information contained therin. When the Veteran completes a single 21-526, the VA can not require it filled out again for each condition requested, including TDIU. Each "informal" claim, or claim for increase refers to the single 21-526 and the VA cant make the Veteran keep filing out additional 526's for each condition claimed, including IU.

The fast letter is in conflict with case law and will likely be rescinded, in whole or in part.