VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

You'll probably "die" one night and never know it, you just won't wake up. There are other remedies, such as surgery. I don't think it's likely they'll increase your rate just because "you" can't adjust to a Cpap. You may need a different mask or even a Bpap. If it were me I'd see a private Sleep Doc. I do. The VA has been no help, other than to give me a machine that wasn't even set up properly. jmo

pr

How long have you had it? It can take a few weeks to a month to get used to it.

Have you tried a full face mask? Nasal pillow? A BiPAP might work better for you as well.

There is also the TAP-3 device, you need a dentist to make it (I believe the VAMC can do this) if yours is obstructive it might help.

I recommend the above suggestions and only add to please keep trying to find a workable solution for your apnea.

The CPAP is less effective with my weight gain but is still a miracle device which allows me to be awake for more of my life; I was literally falling asleep in traffic before.

Good luck! :smile:

Been there, done that... combine OSA with allergic rhinitis and chronic sinusitis keeping the upper airways nice a clogged (deviated septum too) and then eczema making it hard to get to sleep (constant itching)... yeah, I'm a little fatigued during the day.

You have been given good advice. Go to your sleep doc, explain, in detail, why the CPAP is not working. There are dozens of differnt masks, different pressures, BIPAP, etc., that the doc can do so you get used to CPAP/Bipap. If its the noise that bothers you, there are things you can do for that, too..like earplugs.

There are alternatives, too, such as surgery if you have an obstruction.

VA bennies are rated on symptoms, not treatment, and that is peculiar why they rate on CPAP.

If you went back to the doc, and tried everything then I doubt any reduction would stick. Its different if you just get a cpap and then dont use it...you will likely get a reduction. j1vo.

Case law suggests over and over, you are rated on symptoms, not treatment. If your symptoms require a CPAP but that treatment is ineffective/unworkable, this is not your fault if you stick with it.

• HadIt.com Elder

I had a VA Doc who wanted to put a permanent trach that an appliance would be placed in about throat level when I wanted to speep. I passed. All I can say is don't give up it took me almost a year to get where I could use mine. I finally got a CPAP not from VA that adjusted the air automatically and was able to sleep much better.