VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would suggest you get used to using it. I still hate mine but use it faithfully, every night. The VA could call you in for another C&P, if you're not using it and try to reduce your rating. Best to request supplies on a regular basis. jmo

pr

Of course, I definitely want to if I could just sleep through the whole night with it on :) Do you think the VA would give me another shot, perhaps help me find a better fitting mask/pillow when I see them for my first appointment (and just explain the recent gap in use?)

Hey all. Been lurking in the background just listening & learning to all the great Q&A's posted. I have no experience pertaining to the Cpap Machine so I can't really add anything in that respect. But I recommend going to the appointment and explaining just what you did here...that you were moving, had stuff packed, continued to use your dental device, etc in the meantime. As long as you are honest & sincere, I just can't fathom any doc seeing it as something that would cause him to flag you as someone who isn't trying or warrants a New C & P to reduce benefits. Tell the doc what your concerns are and that you'd be open to other alternatives if possible.

Good luck...and thanks for your thread. It was very educational for me to read!

LC

Personally, I think this depends on the personality of the docs you see at the VAMC both for treatment and for any C&Ps. I tend to agree with Loose Cannon. If you're doing your best to pursue treatment, that's about all any doc can ask of any patient. Everyone knows that CPAPs are uncomfortable, always have been, and there is a large effort to make them more tolerable. In fact, my wife was recently told that they've come up with a new generation of them that are even more comfortable than the last batch. So this is no secret, particularly to anyone who's ever tried to use one. Take a look at the forum entries involving OSA on this site! My outside pulmonist told me that he has OSA and cannot tolerate a CPAP.

Could the VA turn this against you? It's hard to say. Who knows what screwloose doc who doesn't know anything about OSA or its treatment will try to say if that doc is asked to weigh in through some sort of C&P. I think that's less likely if you actively pursue effective treatment and follow up on the recommendations to the best of your ability. My insurance company said I had to wear the CPAP 4 hours a night for 20 nights a month and my machine keeps those stats. I don't know if that's a good yardstick for the VA or not to prove "compliance." I'm paranoid about this, too, because I had trouble sleeping with the original machine. So every time I visit the VAMC, I bring some sort of evidence with me in the event anyone asks me for stats. No one has.

What's most important is that you get this problem under control. Your health will be negatively impacted the longer it is not effectively treated. I can tell you from experience that I feel a lot better on the machine and won't attempt a night of sleep without it unless nasal congestion prevents it.

Edited by TiredCoastie

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't sleep thru the night. I generally awaken 3-4 times, briefly, but go right back to sleep, pretty quickly. I find it almost impossible to sleep w/o it. I use a nasal pillow mask(the pillows need replacing every 2 wks) and usually wake up when my mouth opens and dries out shortly after that. I haven't found anything to keep my mouth shut yet, that I can tolerate.

pr