VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What If You Can Not Get Use To Cpap Machine

Rate this question

adkins7b

Question

I was wondering if anyone knew, what happens if you have sleep apnea but can not sleep using the cpap. I don't think the VA can lower you're rate or take it away, I actually think they should increase it because you can not get what you need to be fully rested. Always any feed back is appreciated.

Untreated SA will eventually kill you, well before your time. SA treated or not can lead to Pulmonary Hypertension and Cor Pulmone (Right Vent Heart Failure) definitely not good for your life expectancy.

Some way, some how, you have to get with the program! Can't get used to CPAP, WTF "Can't", it could be your life saver. If you refuse to use it, don't worry about a SC reduction. Start getting all the info and paperwork for DIC and survivor's benefits ready for your significant other. Then sit back and wait for your Dr to DX Heart Failure and put you on Supplemental O2. At that point you will be in line for the 100% SC SA rating. If it comes to a DX of Right Heart Failure, file a FDC as Secondary to your SC SA. By then you should be IU, but get it rated anyway.

Semper Fi

Gastone

Try to identify the specific problem you can not use a cpap, not just general cant use the cpap.

Is the machine too noisey? Tell your VA sleep doc you need a quieter one or put machine further away with longer hose.

Is the mask uncomfortable? Tell your VA sleep doc you want to try a different mask.

Do you not like the weight of it on your face/head? Try using a lighter weight mask

Does the cord get tangled up? Try using a shorter cord and have machine closer.

Is your mouth dry? Try using one with humidifier and put water in the reservoir, or use Biotene, as suggested.

Do you not like something in front of your face blocking your view? Try nasal pillows mask (there are several companies that make these and they vary in comfort from person to person)

There are still other things you can try, such as a BiPap (a bipap changes with your breaths, where a cpap puts "constant pressure" that you have to breathe against).

There are many different masks, probably a hundred or more. VA may not carry them all. Tell your sleep doc why the masks you tried dont work for you.

Make sure your mask is adjusted comfortably, and is easy to take off/put on. You need to adjust the mask straps with the light on, and may even need a helper. Get your wife to help you adjust the straps just right.

Make sure you clean the mask and hose correctly. I like mine dry and never clean it a few hours before sleep, but clean it in the morning with soap and water, rinsing it very well. My mask hose fits right over bathroom faucet and I run water through hose and mask for about a minute to rinse it well. To dry the inside, I put it back on the machine and turn the machine on for an hour or so to thoroughly dry the inside of the mask/hose.

Position the cpap machine well for you. Mine will turn on automatically, so I dont need to be able to reach the machine. Others want the machine closer to the bed to reach it. I built a shelf to put mine on so the weight of the hose is "up". Some people want theirs on the floor.

In short, try a combination that works for you.

• HadIt.com Elder

I am using Inspire Upper Airway Stimulation. This is the future of treatment for OSA. It is not working perfectly, but since about 90% of those who use the cpap eventually ditch it due to all the problems with it I feel there must be alternatives for people who have severe apnea and can't stand the high pressure cpap/bpap. I never found a mask that did not leak or one that fit my face. They get these things off the rack. Inpsire did reduce my number of apneas from about 40-50 an hour to 17 an hour. However, I still have oxygen desaturation at night. I am going for another sleep study tonight. The VA is saying I am non-compliant as well and threatening to cut off my pain meds. The VA care I get is so poor it is almost worthless except for pills.

John

Stpn2me,

I was diagnosed with OSA in 2008 and I had problems tolerating the CPAP. I had the Inspire Upper Airway Stimulation System implanted on June 1, 2015 and my doctor will activate it on July 2nd followed by another sleep study sometime in August. The Inspire implant is made by Medtronics, the same company that makes pacemakers. In fact, the implant looks just like a pacemaker. To find out more about the Inspire system, go to www.Inspiresleep.com

I had a sleep study in December 2014 with the following results: RDI 54, AHI 52, LSAT 62%. Classified as severe OSA.

In mid January of this year I had a UPPP procedure in which my Uvala and upper soft palate were removed. I also had turbinate reduction surgery at the same time to open up my nasal passages. These procedures were performed in order to qualify me as a candidate for the Inspire procedure. Prior to these procedures, my ENT doctor said my upper airways were not open enough for the Inspire system to work properly. I also had to lose some weight to increase the likelihood of the Inspire system working properly. After the above procedures, I had another sleep study with the following results: RDI 40, AHI 38, LSAT 77%. Improved but still classified as severe OSA.

Hopefully, my sleep study in August will show drastic improvement in my OSA as a result of the Inspire system implant. Only time will tell.

NOTE: There is a new sleep apnea system out now called Imthera that my ENT doctor made me aware of but would not use on me because I had a pacemaker. Like Inspire, it is also an implant but smaller. He advised me this system was being offered to qualfied patients free of charge as long as the patients agreed to participate in a clinical study. More info on this system is available at www.imtheramedical.com

Good luck to you.

GP

Hello and good morning!

I don't "love" my CPAP, but I sure do appreciate it!!! I have been using mine since Feb '14. My wife "loves" it, tho, since I no longer snore like a "Harley" anymore. I had a sleep study done by my private insurance, and discovered that my pulse ox was dropping into the low 70s! I had my first "apnea" within 2 minutes of falling asleep during the sleep study. I had over 100 in the first 2 hours of the study. Apparently SA prevents REM sleep, too. Which medical science has shown to be most important to a good night's sleep. I am DX'd at 11 for my psi(?) on my device. I have the pillow soft nose piece. I wake up many times a night because it comes loose, but I can't have it tight cuz it pushes into my face and somehow closes my nasal passages??? So I like it a little loose. I don't fall asleep standing up anymore, but don't feel like "wow I slept great" either.

As a side note, a coworker's father died of SA, last fall, while at deer camp. He didn't think he needed his cpap for just a few days. They found him 2 days later, asleep in a lawnchair in front of the fireplace. Apparantly he was tired from the day, and the heat of the fire caused him to get drowsy. His head drooped down and that was all she wrote.

Anyway, what is the best way to get this SC'd? I had trouble sleeping while on AD, used to drink every night just to fall asleep. I know it's mentioned once or twice in my SMR. Any suggestions would be well received.

Oh, forgot to mentioin that the coworker's dad was only 53 when he died from SA.

My CPAP device has the water resevoir in it. Which I really like...especially with the dry winter air...or dry air from A/C.

I started using it religiously as soon as I received it. My insurance pays 100% of all costs, including replacment of consumeables(masks tubing etc). The manufacturer rep said the ins. won't pay all if I don't use it every night. The device had a removeable wireless modem that was tracking useage and transmitting to local rep. After 6 months they called and said good to go, remove and send modem in supplied prepaid shipping container. I get a robo call every 6 mos. to see if I would like to reorder consumeables, which I do, and I get a 6 month supply, which I reallly appreciate. I guess the ins. is happy that I'm using it, since it is much much cheaper than paying for treatment of SA related heart illness and such.

• HadIt.com Elder

Great thread with lots of good info. My first CPAP I got from Social Security and I had a copay of 20 a month so I went to VA and they gave me another one. They have never been very helpful and getting new filters and masks is a hassle. I think it is my VA. My benefits include filtered air and less allergy problems. When I use the CPAP correctly I get a good sleep and feel good next day. It is not easy to get used to it but I did.

My Medicare CPAP Doc told me to take my machine if I went to hospital for a procedure. When I got a stent and stayed over night I did that and the hospital hooked up oxygen which I can't get the VA to do.